School me on '03+ G35's (pro's and con's)

So I've been debating on whether or not to get a loan and sell my daily driver and go for a G35 coupe. Which is decent looking, an upgrade and quite luxurious compared to my S13. Not in a rush to buy it as I'm yet on the search for a specific color with the sport package (that is if I can find a good 10-11k deal on a '03 Caribbean blue on black or '03 black on black).

I've been doing research on them and have come across old threads on multiple forums.

To my knowledge, they say that the '03-'04 models came with a crappy transmission when it comes down to MT (I'm aiming for MT), and that the '05-'07 came out with oil consumption issues.

Now, I made this thread to see if any of you guys have had experience with the G35, and if you can chime in to convince me if it is worth to get into debt for it, or just to suck it up with my S13.

pic of my daily driver
ayac6c.jpg

vs

ambiguous113-albums-garage-rachel-picture39335-p000295062811.jpg

or

687306882_7QgYw-XL.jpg

Just get a s14 with R32 rims
pimp.gif
Jk. I have a friend who owned one and didn't really care for the techincal stuff such as sport editions but he really loved it for the short time he had it.

Originally Posted by SnowboardingPanda

Just get a s14 with R32 rims
pimp.gif
Jk. I have a friend who owned one and didn't really care for the techincal stuff such as sport editions but he really loved it for the short time he had it.
I have an SR'd S14 that I take out to play from time to time hehe.

I mean I managed to drive my uncle's G35 for about a week and loved it from then on and regret it so bad that I didn't buy it off of him. His was also Caribbean blue, and he didn't complain much about it besides its lack of torque and how heavy the car is, but really I like the look and sound of it, and would be daily driving it more than tracking/racing it.

03-04 has tire feathering issues, 05-06 was the RevUp engine with oil consumption issues, 07+ was the switch to the vq35hr and a higher redline and is good to go. Window motors crap out on all years.

Nitpick - there were no pre-03 G35s, so the '03+' is redundant. Good luck with the search! I'm looking for a G or Z myself.

Originally Posted by Menacin Methods

Had an 03....RWD it was horrible in the snow.

tri state or new england area you need FWD or AWD

RWD is summer stuntin only

/\
laugh.gif
2 lbs wheels on 2 ton car

As far as pros of the 03+ coupe... it exists

Really tho... VR>

Get an 08+ if u got the dough. or pay 10k or less for an 03 n the 100k rangr

Not a fan. But if your old car still works for you, why change it? (especially if a loan is needed too)

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Originally Posted by Menacin Methods

Had an 03....RWD it was horrible in the snow.

tri state or new england area you need FWD or AWD

RWD is summer stuntin only
False, I live in Brooklyn and I've had my 05 G35 RWD sedan for 4 years and just recently sold it. Put 4 bags of sand in the trunk, 2 on each side, turn the VDC off and you're passing any SUV during the worst snow storms. 
As far as the car is concerned, they are the definition of reliable. Keep up with maintenance (motor oil changes, ****** oil changes, rear differential oil changes, fluid flushes, etc) and you will never have any issues. The only thing I can complain about is the suspension, I had to change my compression rods and hub bearings at 60k miles which is way too soon for parts like that to go bad. Very mod friendly, HUGE choice of aftermarket parts and you could fit some really aggressive wheels on the car. Don't go 03, it looks too dated. Try to go 05+ whether its sedan or coupe. Coupes tend to have more issues though. As you said, the oil consumption issues and the seats always rip. Good luck in your search, the prices have dropped dramatically.

Back
Top Bottom