School Me On Eating Right.

Originally Posted by do work son

i tried eating healthy. starting eating a lot of pasta and fruits but i just don't feel full if i dont eat some sort of meat (no ayo) like a burger or something. help?
nerd.gif
Pasta isn't healthy for you tho. It's all carbs.... get whole grain pasta. Eat more times a day, 5 would be best. Did you cut all meat from your diet? If you haven't, cook yourself some meat, make a sandwhich, put vegetables on that and eat away.

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

i tried eating healthy. starting eating a lot of pasta and fruits but i just don't feel full if i dont eat some sort of meat (no ayo) like a burger or something. help?
nerd.gif
Pasta isn't healthy for you tho. It's all carbs.... get whole grain pasta. Eat more times a day, 5 would be best. Did you cut all meat from your diet? If you haven't, cook yourself some meat, make a sandwhich, put vegetables on that and eat away.

i meant whole grain lol, my bad. as far as meat, i make a ham sandwich with some lettuce and tomatoes but thats about it. other than that, it's a lot of cereal
eyes.gif

how the hell do you not know how to eat "right" and make proper decisions.....are you an infant/special needs child?

nerd.gif

i meant whole grain lol, my bad. as far as meat, i make a ham sandwich with some lettuce and tomatoes but thats about it. other than that, it's a lot of cereal
eyes.gif
Use that ham, get some eggs, cook em both with mushrooms, tomatoes. Serve. Add avocado to you sammich too. Drink lots of water. Buy chicken breast. Cook em, serve with brown rice and some dressing (your choice). Buy yourself all natural peanut butter and some fruit preserve for breakfast, as well as some whole grain muffins. Buy tuna too. Look online for recipes on healthy foods man, it's difficult to start at first, but once you get some tips you can start expanding it on your own.

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

how the hell do you not know how to eat "right" and make proper decisions.....are you an infant/special needs child?

I'm pretty sure everyone stumbles across a brick wall because they don't know where to start or don't know how to make/cook their food. My assumption at least.

eyes.gif
Use that ham, get some eggs, cook em both with mushrooms, tomatoes. Serve. Add avocado to you sammich too. Drink lots of water. Buy chicken breast. Cook em, serve with brown rice and some dressing (your choice). Buy yourself all natural peanut butter and some fruit preserve for breakfast, as well as some whole grain muffins. Buy tuna too. Look online for recipes on healthy foods man, it's difficult to start at first, but once you get some tips you can start expanding it on your own.
48376_o.gif

nerd.gif

It seems that you are getting too many easily digestible carbohydrates (i.e. foods that are high in sugars or that convert to sugars easily (such as pastas)).  Here is probably what is going on:

1. Eat pasta
2. The carbs convert to sugar rapidly
3. Your blood sugar spikes
4. Your insulin spikes shortly after
5. Your blood sugar drops (and insulin levels too)
6. You get hunger pangs after your blood sugar levels drop

Eating many easily digestible carbohydrates can cause lots of issues, namely insulin resistance, which leads to type 2 diabetes.  Fruits are necessary components in diets, but only in moderation (and not juice!).  And remember, just because a pasta is whole wheat/grain doesn't mean it is good for you.  Many whole wheat products are still going to spike your blood sugar just the same as enriched/refined pastas.  If you buy a whole wheat bread that is ground into fine particles, it's going to do just the same as a white bread. 

The key is eating non-easily digestible carbs.  Think of carbs as either rapid-release, or time released capsules.  You want the time released ones - the ones with lots of fibrous grains/nuts/etc.

In the scheme of things, however, go low-carb.

I'm going to agree here.  The foods this person mentions will make you feel satiated longer.  One key is to make sure you have plenty of unsaturated fats in your diet (guac!).  These foods take longer to convert to energy, so you won't have hunger pangs as much. 

for sandwich meat, what do you guys suggest? I'm gonna go grocery shopping today and I'm def gonna stay away from the processed variety packs of turkey. Also, what's your guys' take on veggie burgers? Are they healthy for you?

drink lots of water
no soda
little to no fast food/processed food
eat lots of fruit and veggies
eat more meals but in smaller portions
eat whole grains

Originally Posted by TiDE619

for sandwich meat, what do you guys suggest? I'm gonna go grocery shopping today and I'm def gonna stay away from the processed variety packs of turkey. Also, what's your guys' take on veggie burgers? Are they healthy for you?
Turkey breast for sammich meat or chicken. Eat veggie burgers with whole grain bread for more nutrition and less carbs. Also, if you get a dressing, make sure it's low fat, yeup.

EDIT- If you don't know what to eat and have fruits around, make yourself a shake. Use 1 glass almond milk, soy milk, or 2% low fat milk (if you still want dairy), add a banana,some blueberries (if you want) some protein or 2 scoops of all natural peanut butter, some ice and there's a meal. Add another banana for more protein. Got this from the working out thread, but sometimes a shake is faster to make than cooking something up when you don't have a lot of time to spare. 

dont pig out right before you sleep
chew your food thoroughly
no pork/red meat
keep processed/fast food/soda/sugar drinks to a min
take your vitamins

start thinkn about what your putting into your body

real life...

heres what i eat:

breakfast: 3eggs, no yolk, cup of fat free milk, and 2 slices of whole grain bread.

lunch: turkey breast sandwhich, (no mayo mustard or any of that crap) i only out lettuce (cucumbers in it, becasue i dont like tomato and stuff, im picky)

dinner: chicken breast with brown rice (sometimes ill add some beans and lettuce and mix it) or syeamed vegetables.

for snacks:
i have peanut butter sandwiches (no jelly) on whole grain bread
nature valley bars
plain fat free yogurt
salads, (no dressing and all that crap)

i dont eat to much fruit...

i always mix things up like ill make a chicken sandwich instead of a turkey...

Originally Posted by theconditioner

nerd.gif

It seems that you are getting too many easily digestible carbohydrates (i.e. foods that are high in sugars or that convert to sugars easily (such as pastas)).  Here is probably what is going on:

1. Eat pasta
2. The carbs convert to sugar rapidly
3. Your blood sugar spikes
4. Your insulin spikes shortly after
5. Your blood sugar drops (and insulin levels too)
6. You get hunger pangs after your blood sugar levels drop

Eating many easily digestible carbohydrates can cause lots of issues, namely insulin resistance, which leads to type 2 diabetes.  Fruits are necessary components in diets, but only in moderation (and not juice!).  And remember, just because a pasta is whole wheat/grain doesn't mean it is good for you.  Many whole wheat products are still going to spike your blood sugar just the same as enriched/refined pastas.  If you buy a whole wheat bread that is ground into fine particles, it's going to do just the same as a white bread. 

The key is eating non-easily digestible carbs.  Think of carbs as either rapid-release, or time released capsules.  You want the time released ones - the ones with lots of fibrous grains/nuts/etc.

In the scheme of things, however, go low-carb.

I'm going to agree here.  The foods this person mentions will make you feel satiated longer.  One key is to make sure you have plenty of unsaturated fats in your diet (guac!).  These foods take longer to convert to energy, so you won't have hunger pangs as much. 

more often than not, whenever i eat any type of pasta i usually go hoop for a solid 3-4 hours afterwards anyways if that makes any difference. i don't have any weght gain problems, i've probably hovered around the same weight for about 3 years now lol   

Originally Posted by Swagger2Much4You

do yall drink naked juices? (pause) i wanna know if they're healthy or not i've been drinking them and it seems to be alright just trying to supplement soda though
ohwell.gif
Supplement something that shouldn't be there in the first place. If you can, cut out all juice completely. I drink only water.

Originally Posted by TiDE619

Tide, I would suggest check Lucky's/Safeway once in a while...They have good deals on deli meat (turkey is my preference).

i believe its more of a mental thing. you let yourself consume what you want to eat

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

do yall drink naked juices? (pause) i wanna know if they're healthy or not i've been drinking them and it seems to be alright just trying to supplement soda though
ohwell.gif
Supplement something that shouldn't be there in the first place. If you can, cut out all juice completely. I drink only water.
Some juices have their benefits, but you really need to look for those and read the ingredients--the less the better (ideally you really only wanna see the fruit and maybe, just maybe water) and they're listed from most to least

I think we should avoid drinking our calories. That is just me though. You or others might think otherwise.

ohwell.gif
All juices are just sugar, unless marked as "sugar-free".

I just stick with water or the occasional gatorade.

nerd.gif
It is all in your mind. We just believe that without meat, a meal isn't complete. So it will take time for you to get adjusted to a meal without out.

Another go to meal when I don't feel like doing much. Pasta + Veggies.
Steam veggies and add it to cooked pasta. Add olive oil, seasoning, veggies to the pasta.

Filling and simple. I also add curry powder to it at times to switch things up.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

fresh-n-easy.jpg

and Trader Joes, I'm always buying their veggies.  I usually just buy a piece of chicken breast from Pollo Loco and call it dinner.  Relatively inexpensive.

Fast food is awesome and it's cheap...but so bad for you
ohwell.gif

I've seen these in Phoenix but they're so far away. 

I'm reading Food Rules to give me a good foundation of what I should be looking for when I go grocery shopping.

Thanks for all the input.

Back
Top Bottom