School me on Korea

LOL at koreans being "mad racist". They're as racist as any other country, but just very proud.

Just don't act like a douche, be polite, and you won't have a problem.

First a thread about Thailand, now one about South Korea. LOL, and I was at one point messing around w/ girls in both areas.

I haven't visited there yet, but I know I'm supposed to be hitting up Seoul over Christmas Break for a week...

...and then Bangkok over Spring Break. LOL. So I'll give my input later on.

But question, do black people get a lot of love over there in S. Korea???

Originally Posted by Korean Dave

Originally Posted by NINE to FIVE

I lived in Seoul (Yongsan) for 2 years.

Amazing country
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I went to highschool on Yongsan, Seoul American High School. I lived in Itaewon right outside of Yongsan. The geographical center of the city FTW
pimp.gif
eek.gif

Thats where I went....05 - 07

Originally Posted by rickybadman

Originally Posted by ittakesalittlebitmore

Originally Posted by itz rOLLi

Originally Posted by ittakesalittlebitmore

What do Koreans think of foreign tourists of other (non white) races? I'm black if that matters I love the culture, the food, the movies etc but I just hope its not one of those rubbish narrow minded countries...
koreans are mad racist.

I see, imma forget about this place for a visit then, who cares who the girls look like or how good the food is, if theyre mad racist (as I kind of heard before) then its a wrap
smh.gif
indifferent.gif

I know that Japan is better, got treated like king, love the politeness and got poon too

Like I said before, thats a generalization. If a Korean heard that Americans were racist because of the KKK, would that make them right to recognize the whole country as being racist. I mean come on, for all they know, KKK stands for KOREAN and more KOREAN KILLING.
Dude the KKK,
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
bad example. Korea is racist against black, right now. In America a Korean tourist will see minimal racism, most likely none at all. I would spend my money going to Japan instead.
And you would know this how? This isnt Menace II Society, this is the real world. Travel a little and you will know that the world is much morethan American stereotypes. And for a fact, there are many black folks that live in Seoul, idiot. Seoul is a huge international city that has many differentcultures. And I'm talking Africans and Americans. Ive spent time in Tokyo also and I hate to bust your bubble, but Japan and Korea stereotype all forenersthe same. The cultures of both Koreans and Japanese are very simular. If you dont act stupid, you wont be treated like a fool. Seoul and Tokyo are verysimilar. And that might seem like a bad example to you but not to someone that isn't from the US.

I lived in Seoul (Yongsan) for 2 years.

Amazing country
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I went to highschool on Yongsan, Seoul American High School. I lived in Itaewon right outside of Yongsan. The geographical center of the city FTW
pimp.gif
eek.gif

Thats where I went....05 - 07

96 - 00...I miss it alot. The Dragon Hill Lodge still across the street? I spent many lunch hours there and Popeyes. That and bagging groceries at thecommisary
pimp.gif
I thought I was making loot back then
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by infamousod

**** there's a popeyes in Seoul?

There are wendys, mcdonalds, burger kings, pizza huts, starbucks, and even 7-11s on the corners. Seoul is modern, i've been trying to say that. Why wouldyou think there wouldn't be, Koreans like chicken
laugh.gif

Whats good with teaching english in Korea? someone school me on that. dont you need your Bachelors for that?

infamousod wrote:

**** there's a popeyes in Seoul?

There are wendys, mcdonalds, burger kings, pizza huts, starbucks, and even 7-11s on the corners. Seoul is modern, i've been trying to say that. Why would you think there wouldn't be, Koreans like chicken
laugh.gif

I figured McDonalds and BK and most major ones but Popeyes I had no idea they were international at all

im waiting to hear back from a company to teach english in korea, should hear back sometime this week... would be in incheon

im korean, but was adopted and brought to the states when i was 4 months old, dont really speak korea.. im interested to see how they will treat me. my parentsare white

i've been to korea once when i was young and it was amazing.. i really hope i get this job, this thread got me so excited ha

rickybadman wrote:
I can see my your screen name that you would not take my words well. So to sum up your post, Korea doesn't have racism because there are few blacks that live there, African Americans just need to know their place and things will go fine, Japan is just like than Korea so Korea is fine, and most foreigners don't know that the KKK as not been a important figure in American culture for years. Did I get everything. And it is nice you think I am idiot to that only knows about foreign people based on what I see in black movies, that really looks good when your are arguing that Koreans don't harbor racist feeling towards black, very nice
pimp.gif

I would not recommend African Americans go to a lot of foreign countries because of racism, including Germany and Russia, there is always a better option. Plus if someone is traveling to that area, why not go to Tokyo over Seoul.

Yea, thats exactly what I was sayin
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
Don't hit me with the racist card, cause I'm far from it. I'mHALF Korean, you have no idea what else I am. And to assume that a Korean tourist wouldn't get any racism shot thier way in the United States, coming fromyou who is not asian. How ignorant are you to the world? And thats cool that people want to go to Tokyo, It's a great place. But sometimes it's moreexciting to go down the unbeaten path, Seoul being one of the hidden gems in Asia. And yes, only an idiot would be caught generalizing a whole country becauseof something he knows nothing about.

Originally Posted by hawtsauce

im waiting to hear back from a company to teach english in korea, should hear back sometime this week... would be in incheon

im korean, but was adopted and brought to the states when i was 4 months old, dont really speak korea.. im interested to see how they will treat me. my parents are white

i've been to korea once when i was young and it was amazing.. i really hope i get this job, this thread got me so excited ha
You'll be fine. It is such a great feeling to be somewhere that you feel deeply connected to even if you have only been there once. SpeakingKorean helps but isn't necessary. South Korea has the largest number of US military facilities outside of the US because North and South are stilltechnically at war. Therefor, you will not be the only person of Korean descent that doesn't speak Korean. When I went to a DOD school there, 80% of thestudents were either Korean or mixed, and only about 40% spoke Korean. And that was only one school out of the many American based schools. Good luck and enjoyevery minute of it. Incheon is right outside of Seoul, by the way.

hawtsauce wrote:

im korean, but was adopted and brought to the states when i was 4 months old, dont really speak korea.. im interested to see how they will treat me. my parents are white

You'll be fine. It is such a great feeling to be somewhere that you feel deeply connected to even if you have only been there once. Speaking Korean helps but isn't necessary. South Korea has the largest number of US military facilities outside of the US because North and South are still technically at war. Therefor, you will not be the only person of Korean descent that doesn't speak Korean. When I went to a DOD school there, 80% of the students were either Korean or mixed, and only about 40% spoke Korean. And that was only one school out of the many American based schools. Good luck and enjoy every minute of it. Incheon is right outside of Seoul, by the way.

that's good to know that it's not uncommon... im wondering if they'll accept/deny me based around the fact that im korean..

theres a growing korean/american community, and its expanding fast

its improbable to try and get a quote on what its like to live in korea as a whole, just because there is so much disparity between living standards when youlook at urban vs rural life. and as with all major cities, its not all glitz and glamor in the cities, ie. uptown vs. midtown vs. marcy

a few hours out of seoul and youre going to be in the COUNTRY....(shigol, in korean)
if youre in seoul or pusan youre going to have access to a hell of a lot more, youre wallet would be the only thing to hold you back

its also going to depend a lot on your neighborhood and where u stay.
BUT since youre working teaching english at an afterschool academy (aka, hakwon) all the teachers hang out together and theyll hook u up on whats good andwhats not in your local area.
since youre in incheon, thats real close to the heart of the entertainment district in seoul. u gotta check out apgujeong-dong and chungdam-dong to meet allthe bad biddies and whatever new club is bumpin. its only a bus/subway ride away.

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION IN KOREA IS AMAZING. u can get virtually anywhere for <2000 won ($2), and its usually clean

to address racism,
the older generation tends to be extremely nationalist and thats where youll get a lot of the "koreans are racist", but the newer generation is astolerant as any other demographic from another country. its not like theres any place in the world where racism doesnt exist yea? :/
but since youre ethnically korean, as long as you dont say anything youll blend in better than solid snake if you wanted to get that real '3rd personspectator' feel for a day

just to add, incheon has dank seafood. when i was in korea i lived in seoul but if we wanted some fresh hwae (sashimi for the english/japanese speakers) wed godo it up in incheon

Originally Posted by hawtsauce

hawtsauce wrote:

You'll be fine. It is such a great feeling to be somewhere that you feel deeply connected to even if you have only been there once. Speaking Korean helps but isn't necessary. South Korea has the largest number of US military facilities outside of the US because North and South are still technically at war. Therefor, you will not be the only person of Korean descent that doesn't speak Korean. When I went to a DOD school there, 80% of the students were either Korean or mixed, and only about 40% spoke Korean. And that was only one school out of the many American based schools. Good luck and enjoy every minute of it. Incheon is right outside of Seoul, by the way.

that's good to know that it's not uncommon... im wondering if they'll accept/deny me based around the fact that im korean..
Whether you are ethnicaly Korean, they will know the difference. You, to them, will be an American. Koreans are proud but they aren't crule.You shouldn't build yourself up for disappoinment. Go there with an open mind and everything should fall into place. When the wifey graduates med school,I'll be heading back.

went there 2 summers ago and the people were really friendly even though i wasnt korean... that hite beer is really weak though haha, but the soju is niceee. alot of nice boutiques poppin up there as well.

Back
Top Bottom