School me on the 06-07 Lexus IS 250...EDIT: I've moved onto the IS 350 now

I can't really help OP but I've always been
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
that Lexus doesn't make a manual-transmission is350  

Originally Posted by RFX45

I own one and it is great. It isn't overly slow but it is slow compared to most cars out there right now. Picked it for comfort really, the G35 seats annoyed me and the BMW 3-series just cost too much if I get the same features as what I have on the IS250. Great daily driver pretty much sums it up.

Outside of the numerous recalls, I go another one so it needs to be brought to the dealer again, it has been great.
Just keep up with the maintenance and this car will last a while.
I'm also a guy who gets tired of certain looks quick, I feel cars gets outdated easily but every time I step out of my house and see the IS250, it still looks great and doesn't look old or dated.

How much did you spend on your car, RFX? What year is it and how many miles did it have when you first bought it?

I own one and it is great. It isn't overly slow but it is slow compared to most cars out there right now. Picked it for comfort really, the G35 seats annoyed me and the BMW 3-series just cost too much if I get the same features as what I have on the IS250. Great daily driver pretty much sums it up.

Outside of the numerous recalls, I go another one so it needs to be brought to the dealer again, it has been great.
I'm also a guy who gets tired of certain looks quick, I feel cars gets outdated easily but every time I step out of my house and see the IS250, it still looks great and doesn't look old or dated.

How much did you spend on your car, RFX? What year is it and how many miles did it have when you first bought it?

yep, car is very Handsome
smokin.gif

yep, car is very Handsome
smokin.gif

just picked up the is250 '08 for the wife in january. she loves it (she drove a 2000 integra beforehand so i'm sure she wouldve loved a corolla). we bought it used certified with 33k miles on it, so that's a warranty of 3 years or 100k, whichever comes first. my impression: 200 hp is more than sufficient for a daily driver. brakes are hyper sensitive. very little head room and i'm 5'6" lol. back seat is pretty cramped. the wheels are low profile so as nice as it handles, i get the feeling i'm gonna be doing alot of balancing and alignments on this car because charlotte streets are *$!@%!. it does look good still and i love how lexus did the rims on these. it is sort of a girly car, not a vw bug girly level, but more like a honda prelude girly.

just picked up the is250 '08 for the wife in january. she loves it (she drove a 2000 integra beforehand so i'm sure she wouldve loved a corolla). we bought it used certified with 33k miles on it, so that's a warranty of 3 years or 100k, whichever comes first. my impression: 200 hp is more than sufficient for a daily driver. brakes are hyper sensitive. very little head room and i'm 5'6" lol. back seat is pretty cramped. the wheels are low profile so as nice as it handles, i get the feeling i'm gonna be doing alot of balancing and alignments on this car because charlotte streets are *$!@%!. it does look good still and i love how lexus did the rims on these. it is sort of a girly car, not a vw bug girly level, but more like a honda prelude girly.

Originally Posted by chickhien

Pics? How much did you drop?

Originally Posted by chickhien

Pics? How much did you drop?

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Bought mine new, delivered to me with about 40-50 miles in it.
Had a great 4 years in it and still going strong.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Bought mine new, delivered to me with about 40-50 miles in it.
Had a great 4 years in it and still going strong.

Yeah, I've looked at the AWD. In fact, that's all I've been seeing when I look for cars for sale.

Yeah, I've looked at the AWD. In fact, that's all I've been seeing when I look for cars for sale.

I want to buy the exact same whip. What kind of mileage/prices have you been seeing?

I want to buy the exact same whip. What kind of mileage/prices have you been seeing?

Dude, go with the IS350. Trust me, you will probably kick yourself and regret it. At least that's what I hear from 250 owners. Prices for '06 models are pretty darn cheap right now, hell I sold my 2006 IS350 w/45k in immaculate condition for $20.5 last August. I'm sure you can find one for around $18-$20k with lower than 60k miles if you continue to search.

Reasons why I would go with 350>250.

1) Power, even if you're not a speed demon the extra 100hp will romp on the freeway ramps. It's no slouch at all. Its quicker than the G35/350Z. You are not going to get that power from a 250 unless you turbo/supercharge it but with at money you couldve just gotten a factory reliable 3.5 306hp.
2) Less common, not sure about other states but in WA 1 out of 10 IS's are 350's the rest are all AWD 250 models(mostly female driven) but that's from my observation. If you live in a colder state with snow get the 250 then.
3) Bigger beefier front brakes, 350 also comes with more advance VDIM opposed to 250 VSC.

Cons:
1) 350 sucks a little more fuel BUT it is very comparable to the 250 AWD fuel economy. I average 22.5mpg with mixed driving.

2) 350 not offered in manual.

I had my car for over a year before I sold it, no problems, had all the recalls done for free(+ free full tanks of gas each visit and brand new loaner cars to boot).  I havent been following Lexus forums lately but the earlier IS models occassionally had a start-up crank noise its a known issue and I'm sure they have a TSB for it now free of charge.  My car ran smoothly and flawlessy.  I would have to say its the best compromise when it comes to reliablity and luxury without the worries of the things that can go wrong with German cars.  If you want something comfortable and reliable by all means get the IS.

My old 350, all stock except for H&R springs & Ichiba spacers(not pictured).  It came with factory gfx lip and I later added the oem trunk spoiler.

4806956269_acd4225a63_z.jpg

4807578782_2cab955e55_z.jpg

2cei8gg.jpg

Dude, go with the IS350. Trust me, you will probably kick yourself and regret it. At least that's what I hear from 250 owners. Prices for '06 models are pretty darn cheap right now, hell I sold my 2006 IS350 w/45k in immaculate condition for $20.5 last August. I'm sure you can find one for around $18-$20k with lower than 60k miles if you continue to search.

Reasons why I would go with 350>250.

1) Power, even if you're not a speed demon the extra 100hp will romp on the freeway ramps. It's no slouch at all. Its quicker than the G35/350Z. You are not going to get that power from a 250 unless you turbo/supercharge it but with at money you couldve just gotten a factory reliable 3.5 306hp.
2) Less common, not sure about other states but in WA 1 out of 10 IS's are 350's the rest are all AWD 250 models(mostly female driven) but that's from my observation. If you live in a colder state with snow get the 250 then.
3) Bigger beefier front brakes, 350 also comes with more advance VDIM opposed to 250 VSC.

Cons:
1) 350 sucks a little more fuel BUT it is very comparable to the 250 AWD fuel economy. I average 22.5mpg with mixed driving.

2) 350 not offered in manual.

I had my car for over a year before I sold it, no problems, had all the recalls done for free(+ free full tanks of gas each visit and brand new loaner cars to boot).  I havent been following Lexus forums lately but the earlier IS models occassionally had a start-up crank noise its a known issue and I'm sure they have a TSB for it now free of charge.  My car ran smoothly and flawlessy.  I would have to say its the best compromise when it comes to reliablity and luxury without the worries of the things that can go wrong with German cars.  If you want something comfortable and reliable by all means get the IS.

My old 350, all stock except for H&R springs & Ichiba spacers(not pictured).  It came with factory gfx lip and I later added the oem trunk spoiler.

4806956269_acd4225a63_z.jpg

4807578782_2cab955e55_z.jpg

2cei8gg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom