Seeking relationship advice- Vol:Balllin' on a budget 2gether!

Netflix is a great investment. Lots of movies and you can just cook at home. Saves tons of money. Do game nights as well.

this is def a good time to find other ways to enjoy each others time. Going out even gets old after awhile. So if your relationship can shift into a stay at home type of relationship then when eventually you 2 are in a position to start going back out, they will be extra special.

You could probably start a vacation fund in your budget for trips and things like that.

this is def a good time to find other ways to enjoy each others time. Going out even gets old after awhile. So if your relationship can shift into a stay at home type of relationship then when eventually you 2 are in a position to start going back out, they will be extra special.

You could probably start a vacation fund in your budget for trips and things like that.

Much props to you OP for not being a "i'll ride the limo with you but I ain't taking the bus when the limo breaks down" type of girl.

I would tell you as a budget baller master that going out and spending a bunch of money is sometimes not really worth it. Theres plenty of stuff to do that doesn't require lots of money...take a trip to a park and just have some kind of picnic, go to the beach, do something at home, lookup for public events in your city.

If your used to going out then this could be kind of tough at first but alot of couples don't have the money to go out every week or month even. Be creative, don't force moments just be open to try new things.

Hell get your sex on...it's free (sometimes)

Much props to you OP for not being a "i'll ride the limo with you but I ain't taking the bus when the limo breaks down" type of girl.

I would tell you as a budget baller master that going out and spending a bunch of money is sometimes not really worth it. Theres plenty of stuff to do that doesn't require lots of money...take a trip to a park and just have some kind of picnic, go to the beach, do something at home, lookup for public events in your city.

If your used to going out then this could be kind of tough at first but alot of couples don't have the money to go out every week or month even. Be creative, don't force moments just be open to try new things.

Hell get your sex on...it's free (sometimes)

What expenses? Do you live together or what? If you don't live together go dutch. If you live together, certain % of your income goes to shared expenses (levels the playing field if one of you makes more)

What expenses? Do you live together or what? If you don't live together go dutch. If you live together, certain % of your income goes to shared expenses (levels the playing field if one of you makes more)

cook at home
netflix/redbox
use public transportation to save on this crazy %*# gas
dont buy food on campus, hella expensive

cook at home
netflix/redbox
use public transportation to save on this crazy %*# gas
dont buy food on campus, hella expensive

It'd be great if you treated him out if you don't and have some at home movie nights, game nights, stuff like that.

Do you two like baseball? Its cheap and fun. My girl HATED baseball, now she love it and the atmosphere of being at the stadium.

Its a great feeling for your girl to say "I got this"
pimp.gif

It'd be great if you treated him out if you don't and have some at home movie nights, game nights, stuff like that.

Do you two like baseball? Its cheap and fun. My girl HATED baseball, now she love it and the atmosphere of being at the stadium.

Its a great feeling for your girl to say "I got this"
pimp.gif

my girl and I are in exactly the same situation. i lost my job almost a year ago and decided to finish school before getting back to work. Netflix is the greatest thing ever. We watch movies and television shows. instead of going to yankee stadium we watch games in. we still eat out a lot but we try and budget ourselves. and not gonna lie we're closer than ever cause we have more time for each other 

my girl and I are in exactly the same situation. i lost my job almost a year ago and decided to finish school before getting back to work. Netflix is the greatest thing ever. We watch movies and television shows. instead of going to yankee stadium we watch games in. we still eat out a lot but we try and budget ourselves. and not gonna lie we're closer than ever cause we have more time for each other 

At least you're reasonable in wanting to share expenses...
pimp.gif

Definitely learn how to cook. Try money free dates (did plenty of those when I'm in a tight spot financially): walking along the beach, going hiking/running, go to a museum/art gallery, etc.

As for not making it an issue, let him know how you feel (since you are comfortable with him) and I'm sure you two should be able to work out a compromise. That's what I dislike most with one of the girls I dated, I was taking the L fronting the bill more so, even though I was just as hard up as she was 
tired.gif
 (never again).

Good luck, OP.

At least you're reasonable in wanting to share expenses...
pimp.gif

Definitely learn how to cook. Try money free dates (did plenty of those when I'm in a tight spot financially): walking along the beach, going hiking/running, go to a museum/art gallery, etc.

As for not making it an issue, let him know how you feel (since you are comfortable with him) and I'm sure you two should be able to work out a compromise. That's what I dislike most with one of the girls I dated, I was taking the L fronting the bill more so, even though I was just as hard up as she was 
tired.gif
 (never again).

Good luck, OP.

learnin to cook at home is probably hte biggest $$ saver. Esp when you can cook something and just reheat it/add some more things and have it for a few meals..

learnin to cook at home is probably hte biggest $$ saver. Esp when you can cook something and just reheat it/add some more things and have it for a few meals..

If you're truly in love and it's a mature situation, encourage him to think outside the box to find ways to make it happen.  

There's always ways to do things that are cheap/free.  Instead of going out, go to the park and have a picnic. Instead of going to the movies, hit up the redbox for $1 a pop.  Get the nosebleed seats at the ballgame or go to high school or college games that are cheaper.  I'm ALWAYS on Groupon every day trying to find the cheap deals and keep in stored away.  It allows me to save 50-75% off and get the romantic cool points for trying to do something nice.

And there's always ways to budget/monitor your finances.  Clip coupons, Groupon like I mentioned, cut back in one area to preserve another.  I don't pay for internet because I tether my BB connection so I get free internet.  Stack that to cable via the net so I eliminated 2 bills.  He can be an amateur reseller; take the $30 off $100 coupon at FTL/FTA, buy a limited pair of J's, sell it for $20 markup and bam, $50 net profit right there.  I just bought 2 pair of kicks from the Nike Outlet for $40, returned for the full price $150 merch credit at KFL, copped 2 pair of shoes + coupon then resold.  Spent $40 to make $220, I'm just sayin...

Yeah, you need to meet him in the middle as far as cutting back but if he puts in a little legwork he can still make it happen.  After all, financial success isn't how much money you make, it's how much you keep...

If you're truly in love and it's a mature situation, encourage him to think outside the box to find ways to make it happen.  

There's always ways to do things that are cheap/free.  Instead of going out, go to the park and have a picnic. Instead of going to the movies, hit up the redbox for $1 a pop.  Get the nosebleed seats at the ballgame or go to high school or college games that are cheaper.  I'm ALWAYS on Groupon every day trying to find the cheap deals and keep in stored away.  It allows me to save 50-75% off and get the romantic cool points for trying to do something nice.

And there's always ways to budget/monitor your finances.  Clip coupons, Groupon like I mentioned, cut back in one area to preserve another.  I don't pay for internet because I tether my BB connection so I get free internet.  Stack that to cable via the net so I eliminated 2 bills.  He can be an amateur reseller; take the $30 off $100 coupon at FTL/FTA, buy a limited pair of J's, sell it for $20 markup and bam, $50 net profit right there.  I just bought 2 pair of kicks from the Nike Outlet for $40, returned for the full price $150 merch credit at KFL, copped 2 pair of shoes + coupon then resold.  Spent $40 to make $220, I'm just sayin...

Yeah, you need to meet him in the middle as far as cutting back but if he puts in a little legwork he can still make it happen.  After all, financial success isn't how much money you make, it's how much you keep...

its 2011, open your wallet. He probably sent the text b/c you've been dating for a year and he's sick of paying for everything. Pull your weight in the relationship financially.

its 2011, open your wallet. He probably sent the text b/c you've been dating for a year and he's sick of paying for everything. Pull your weight in the relationship financially.

Back
Top Bottom