Seriously...Shane Battier is a Good NBA Player but...

MAN I bet Houston wishes they never traded him for Rudy Gay straight up...
tired.gif

The move was questioned as soon as they did it, although I (along with some people) understood why. They wanted some reliability, a proven guy who they didnthave to wait on to develop. Somebody who they knew what they would be getting from, who played defense, had intangibles, etc etc.

I think Battier is a great to player to have on ANY squad in the league, but Gay is seriously speeding up his own development. Him + Yao (whether Tracy ishealthy or not) would be whoa.

There is no way that Gay would have developed with Yao and T-Mac taking all the shots.
I think really the Rockets were banking on T-Macs health, obviously they've been wrong thus far.
But Battier is the perfect complementary role player.

^^You're right rck2...Ill admit I didnt really take into account Gays development potentially being stunted by Tmac/Yao taking up shots...good point...Gayis still a hell of a talent though...

yeah he probably wouldnt be as good but he would have eventually turned into a really good player. either way i still see it as a pretty stupid move

a thread regarding this trade always pops up monthly.

rudy gay is going to be a SUPERSTAR in this league. he can do it all, only part of his game i think he needs to work on is getting others involved but thatwill come with experience. the grizzlies have given him the key to the franchise, and hopefully they'll have a second set of keys for b-easy.
pimp.gif

I think T Mac wouldve helped Gay to develop. Rudy could've learned a lot from T Mac just playing alongside him. You're right though, the developmentmay have been a little slower just due to the fact that Rudy wouldve seen the ball less on the Rockets.

Regardless of who would be the better role player, theres no way they should've given him up for Battier.

Gay is only developing because he plays for a crap team with no explicit interest in winning games. He's going to be a good player, but Battier is covetedby more teams than Rudy Gay. Almost every NBA club needs a top tier perimeter defender that can hit three point shots.

I don't really think Rudy will be a superstar. I wouldn't have him be anything more than a second option. He's never going to lead a team to achampionship.

I don't know how you can predict what Gay is going to be like in the future, he just turned 21 and is balling. Unlike many highly touted players, he'sactually realizing his potential. You can speculate all you want about Yao and T-Mac stunting his growth but good players always find a way to improve, whichis exactly what he's doing now.

The Rockets are definitely wishing they hadn't made that trade. At the very least they should have kept him for depth or an insurance policy in the likelyevent that T-Mac goes down.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Originally Posted by dreClark

Rudy Gay plays 0 defense.....

I like him as a player though....

So does 95% of the rest of the NBA.

laugh.gif
Seriously...thats the state of game today. Everyone is quick tobring up who doesn't play D. You can count the number of marquee players that play D these days on one hand
I don't know how you can predict what Gay is going to be like in the future, he just turned 21 and is balling. Unlike many highly touted players, he's actually realizing his potential. You can speculate all you want about Yao and T-Mac stunting his growth but good players always find a way to improve, which is exactly what he's doing now.
Everyone in an NBA scout these days...I wish had a list of player predictions on NT that ended up horribly wrong. I remember dude's sayingChris Paul would be no better than Raymond Felton back in 05.

The Rockets are definitely wishing they hadn't made that trade.

They're not. Shane Battier is a starter. He's affordable. He's a defender and a three point shooter.

The Rockets do not regret that trade for one second.

Originally Posted by chikickz

The Rockets are definitely wishing they hadn't made that trade.

They're not. Shane Battier is a starter. He's affordable. He's a defender and a three point shooter.

The Rockets do not regret that trade for one second.

False.

Battier made twice as much last year as Gay.
Battier shoots 4.7 3-pointers a game and is shooting 38% from behind the arc. He's averaging 8.7 points per game.

Gay shoots 4.6 3-pointers a game and is shooting 38% from behind the arc. He's averaging 19 points per game.

Gay also averages more steals per game, more rebounds per game and shoots a higher FG and FT percentage. They average the same amount of assists.

Battier isn't going to get much better and is in the prime of his career. Gay, on the other hand is 8 years younger, will probably win the Most ImprovedPlayer award this year and will only get better.

They definitely regret trading him away. Not to mention they traded away Swift, who sucks, but would have given them depth.

Originally Posted by K8be wan Kenobi

He's never going to lead a team to a championship.

eyes.gif
so you can confidently put a stamp on his career after 2 years?

Dwyane Wade didn't look like he would ever lead his team to a championship when he started out playing with Lamar Odom and Udonis Haslem. the Grizzlies are set to make some major moves. you would be a fool to say something like that so soon.

1. Quote me and prove me wrong when Rudy leads a team to a championship

2. Wade didn't lead %%%*, he had Shaq on his team. He('s) got(getting) exposed this season. Players that lead teams to championships don'tmiraculously start winning 20% of their games.

no, i quoted you right now for making a premature statement with no logical basis

2. Wade didn't lead %%%*, he had Shaq on his team. He('s) got(getting) exposed this season. Players that lead teams to championships don't miraculously start winning 20% of their games.

Michael Jordan didn't lead @#!+, he had Pippen on his team.
Magic didn't lead @#!+, he had Kareem on his team.

oh, and how is Wade getting exposed? if there's a way you can suck and still average 24 PPG for your career, please show me so i can sign a NBA contract right now. and you're right, players that win championships don't miraculously start winning 20% of their games. it takes the organization tearing apart the team and key players going down.

-Incorrect, Michael LEAD the team. The Bulls needed him more than they needed Pippen. The Heat needed Shaq more than they needed Wade

-When did I say that Wade sucks? Please point me towards where I said Wade sucks. He is getting exposed because he isn't the franchise player he washyped up to be. Great players don't lose as often as he does. He has no excuse to be this bad. Shaq has been old/injured all season, from the '06season the Heat have declined. Not surprisingly Shaq has been declining too. Now what does that say about Wade's impact on the championship?
no, i quoted you right now for making a premature statement with no logical basis
It's a prediction. I made it by analyzing the game that I've been watching Rudy play since his senior year in high school. Do you believethat Paul Millsap will ever lead a team to a championship? I'm assuming you don't, and I'm assuming you feel this way because you have seen himplay before. Once again, quote me when Rudy leads a team to a championship, let alone wins one.

laugh.gif
Seriously...thats the state of game today. Everyone is quick to bring up who doesn't play D. You can count the number of marquee players that play D these days on one hand
I've been saying this on here for years, and consistently criticized.

When you're evaluating a player, defense should mean exactly nothing. Team defense is important (sort of), but individual defense really isn't.

A few weeks ago, somebody tried to counter my point of no defense being played in the NBA by saying the Giants won the Super Bowl with defense.
grin.gif

Talking about defense like it really matters.
laugh.gif

Give me a break; it's not the 80s anymore, dudes.
indifferent.gif
.....defense doesn't matter? If defense didn't matter the Suns would win the chip every year...

obviously you haven't watched sports lately
laugh.gif

defense wins chips, proven at the superbowl

But because nobody plays D, that makes it ok?

I've just seen people on here claiming Rudy to be a future great player....imo, he'll need to play some D.

Originally Posted by Mw2889

He's never going to lead a team to a championship.

eyes.gif
so you can confidently put a stamp on his career after 2 years?

Dwyane Wade didn't look like he would ever lead his team to a championship when he started out playing with Lamar Odom and Udonis Haslem. the Grizzlies are set to make some major moves. you would be a fool to say something like that so soon.

1. Quote me and prove me wrong when Rudy leads a team to a championship

2. Wade didn't lead %%%*, he had Shaq on his team. He('s) got(getting) exposed this season. Players that lead teams to championships don't miraculously start winning 20% of their games.

please please tell me you are high or drunk right now. shaq had 9 points in the game to clinch the series. D wade 36.
laugh.gif
i wonder who led who in those finals. you must be extremely stupid to thinkshaq was more important than wade in that series or even the playoffs

Houston takes Dallas to the brink, 7 games, and loses.

The next year, injuries occur, they're in the lottery.

Draft. The Rockets reallllly wanted Brandon Roy that draft. It was Brandon Roy or bust.

Minnesota takes him two spots ahead of the Rockets, only to trade him to the Blazers who's one spot ahead of Houston @ 7.
mad.gif

So here the Rockets are at #8, with Gay right there for the taking.

With their guy not there, they got Shane Battier, and dumped off that bum the 'Stro-Show' to Memphis, who in turned, unloaded him to the Nets.

The logic here is, Gay was indeed the best prospect in the draft, but as we know, it's hit or miss in the lottery.

Throw in the fact that a team with Yao + Tracy McGrady as your two centerpieces, where does Gay develop? Where are his shots to develop? And even then,it's not even a sure thing if he pans out.

So, the Rockets opted for Battier, a player with a high basketball IQ, a great perimeter defender. The hustle/glue guy to mesh in with Yao + T-Mac.

Trust me, Rockets fans were opposed to this trade on draft day, but after letting the dust settle, we saw the logic behind it.

As a result, the Rockets make the playoffs that year, with Shane being a key part. I think setting a career high in 3pt'ers. Of course we lost to theJazz, but eh, in order to have a solid ballclub, you need a guy like Shane Battier on your team.

When you're evaluating a player, defense should mean exactly nothing. Team defense is important (sort of), but individual defense really isn't.

cosign. i've actually been meaning to start a post about this.

in 2003 no NBA scout or GM was saying "hmmm... this Lebron kid will never be a great player, he just doesn't play good defense. i wouldn't drafthim"

any time people are discussing a good player's strengths and weaknesses, people always come out with "Kobe doesn't play defense","Lebron doesn't play defense", "Wade doesn't play defense", "Nash doesn't play defense", "Arenas doesn'tplay defense", "Kidd is good but he doesn't play defense anymore", "Melo needs to work on his defense", "oh, T-Mac sucks,he's lazy on defense now"

when you think about it, you could really say that for almost every good player. MOST superstars don't play defense, so saying Rudy needs to play defenseto be a future superstar is foolish.

defense is a bonus nowadays. any smart player that knows how to play half decent D is considered a good defender, whereas those guys wouldnt be thought of asanything special in the 90s. a lot of it has to do with the handchecking rules though. Stern wanted high scoring games and high scoring superstars, and thatswhat he's getting.

^Derrick Rose had less than 10 points in the State Championship last year. Dominant players don't need to put up big numbers to have there dominance felt.When Shaq is getting quadruple teamed, he probably isn't going to put up big stats. But you would probably need to know something about basketball tounderstand that, but you said Kevin Garnett sucks in another thread, so I wouldn't expect you to.

P.S.-take the personal attacks out of your last reply. I've seen your pics in a PYP and you shouldn't be insulting people.

Back
Top Bottom