***SF Giants 2009 Season Thread (88-74)***

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Monday, August 3[/td] [td][img]http://houston.astros.mlb.com/images/schedule/icon_ticket.gif[/img] Minute Maid Park | 7:05 PM CT[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
probables_divider.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [/td] [td]Matt Cain, RHP (12-2, 2.12)
Giants (58-47)[/td] [td]@[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Mike Hampton, LHP (6-8, 5.36)
Astros (52-53)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
probables_divider.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Scouting Report:
Giants: Cain is certainly setting the pace for his fellow National League Cy Young Award candidates, teammate Tim Lincecum among them. Wednesday against the Pittsburgh Pirates, Cain allowed just three hits and whiffed four over nine innings of work but received a no-decision in the Giants' extra-inning victory. The right-hander has received 5.15 runs of support per game, the most among San Francisco's starters. He finished July with a 3-0 record and 1.23 ERA. In his lone start against the Houston Astros in 2008, Cain pitched eight innings and won.
Astros: Four of Hampton's six wins this year have come against the Pirates. He was rocked for eight hits and a season-high nine runs in his previous start Wednesday in Chicago, losing to the Cubs for the first time since 2000. He's 15-4 with a 3.59 ERA in 26 career appearances (23 starts) against the Giants.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]
trans.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Tuesday, August 4[/td] [td][img]http://houston.astros.mlb.com/images/schedule/icon_ticket.gif[/img] Minute Maid Park | 7:05 PM CT[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
probables_divider.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [/td] [td]Jonathan Sanchez, LHP (4-9, 4.81)
Giants (58-47)[/td] [td]@[/td] [td] [/td] [td]To be announced
probables_divider.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Scouting Report:
Giants: Staked to a seven-run lead Thursday against the Philadelphia Phillies, Jonathan Sanchez yielded two runs on three hits over 5 2/3 frames. He lacked control at times, walking three. The lefty has issued at least three free passes in 13 of 17 starts this season. Sanchez finished the month with a 2-1 record and 3.25 ERA; that included his July 10 no-hitter. In his last appearance against the Houston Astros on July 3, Sanchez pitched two scoreless innings of relief.

[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]
trans.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Wednesday, August 5[/td] [td][img]http://houston.astros.mlb.com/images/schedule/icon_ticket.gif[/img] Minute Maid Park | 1:05 PM CT[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
probables_divider.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [/td] [td]To be announced
Giants (58-47)[/td] [td]@[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Brian Moehler, RHP (7-6, 4.99)
probables_divider.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Scouting Report:
Giants: This was Ryan Sadowski's slot in the rotation until the Giants optioned the rookie right-hander to Triple-A Fresno on Saturday. Sadowski allowed one run on three hits Friday against the Philadelphia Phillies but left the game after four innings with tightness in his throwing shoulder. He was 0-4 in his previous four outings prior to the demotion. Manager Bruce Bochy was not yet prepared to announce who would make this start against the Houston Astros but confirmed that Joe Martinez and Kevin Pucetas, both pitching well at Triple-A Fresno, were among the candidates.
Astros: Moehler pitched well in his previous start Friday in St. Louis, a game the Astros lost when the bullpen allowed two runs in the eighth. Moehler went 6 2/3 innings and gave up seven hits and two runs, including a homer to Mark DeRosa. That was his seventh quality starts in his past nine outings, lowering his ERA to 4.99. He's 1-1 with an 8.88 ERA in six career games against the Giants.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
I dont see the astros winning with these guys pitching
laugh.gif

Eh, Giants haven't proven they can win on the road no matter who we have pitching. Astros can hit and in that park it's going to be tough to win. Should be a good series.

It shouldn't be a good series it should be a great series we should take all 3

LB510 stays with the lofty expectations.
laugh.gif
Hey, it worked for thePhillies series, but I'd gladly take 2 out of 3 this series especially being on the road.

^ I'm sorry but I look at the Astros as one of those teams you must beat to considered a good team.

They dont have one great pitching( there best pitching Wandy Rodriguez won't be pitching)
He should have our full line-up for the 2nd game Sanchez, Garko and Rowand + Molina

PS Roy Oswalt will pitch the second game Imo I only game we could lose ( I was at the game he picth aganist RJ the day RJ got hurt and we justlooked lost out there offensively)

I dont think we should give be turning on Garko, he's had a lot of good at bats, he just doesnt have a lot to show for it. i was at the game today and hegot one nice hit and he hit one hard, but it was right at someone, which has already happened to him a few times. once he gets more accustomed to nl pitchingand his balls start to find holes, he'll do just fine. Or at least i hope...

Originally Posted by LB510

^ I'm sorry but I look at the Astros as one of those teams you must beat to considered a good team.

They dont have one great pitching( there best pitching Wandy Rodriguez won't be pitching)
He should have our full line-up for the 2nd game Sanchez, Garko and Rowand + Molina

PS Roy Oswalt will pitch the second game Imo I only game we could lose ( I was at the game he picth aganist RJ the day RJ got hurt and we just looked lost out there offensively)
I think Oswalt is out still with his back injury, so we'll miss him also.

On the day Sanchez was traded to the Giants did he run out of the Pittsburgh dugout to celebrate with his new team after Winn got the walk off base hit?

That would be so
laugh.gif

SF should take all 3 in Houston. But you know Giants bats are so inconsistent. They rocked Hamels yesterday so I won't be surprised if their offense goesMIA tonight.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by maxb7ty

I dont think we should give be turning on Garko, he's had a lot of good at bats, he just doesnt have a lot to show for it. i was at the game today and he got one nice hit and he hit one hard, but it was right at someone, which has already happened to him a few times. once he gets more accustomed to nl pitching and his balls start to find holes, he'll do just fine. Or at least i hope...
Turning on someone implies they were once in favor of him. I was against getting Garko from the start and everyone else seems to still have faithhe will do well.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9885442/Giants,-NL-West-are-forces-to-be-reckoned-with

The National League West is baseball's best kept secret.
Maybe it's because it is the only division in baseball that doesn't have a team in the Eastern or Central time zones, and doesn't always get the national attention from the late-night sports shows.
Maybe it's because it is a division made up of two transplants, and three expansion teams.

Or maybe it's because it is the only division that hasn't had a world champion in the last seven seasons.

Whatever the reason, the NL West is the NL Best this time around, but it wasn't supposed to be that way. This was the year the Mets and Phillies were expected to battle for baseball supremacy, with Atlanta and Florida looking for a way to sneak in the NL East race. It was the year where the Cubs were carrying dreams of ending their century-long championship drought.

It, however, has become a season in which the NL West has not shied away from the challenge of the two other divisions.

It's hard to pretend any division can match up with the AL East, where Tampa Bay has provided the inspiration for baseball have-nots for being able to go toe-to-toe with the big-spending Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees.

But the NL West is next in line with three legitimate postseason contenders.

There is not only the Los Angeles Dodgers, who are enjoying the best record in the NL, but also San Francisco and Colorado, who not only share the NL wild-card lead, but also share the third-best record in the NL, behind the Dodgers and NL East-leading Philadelphia, and ahead of the NL Central-leading Chicago Cubs.

And the three NL West teams are not merely feasting on their two lesser lights in their division, San Diego and Arizona.

The Dodgers, Giants and Rockies have gone a combined 111-78 against teams outside the division, including 29-19 in interleague play, 40-31 against the NL East and 42-28 against the NL Central. The three best teams in the NL East, meanwhile, are 101-101 outside of their division, and in the NL Central the top three teams are 82-87 in non-divisional play.

And, all three NL West postseason contenders got better before the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline.

The Dodgers, who rank third in the NL in earned-run average and also runs scored, failed to add that No. 1 starter who could have taken some of the pressure off right-hander Chad Billingsley and lefty Clayton Kershaw. They did, however, add lefty George Sherrill, a closer in Baltimore, who will handle set up chores in Los Angeles, where manager Joe Torre's free-wheeling use of the bullpen provides a need to bring in midseason reinforcements. There's more help on the way. Right-hander Ronald Bellasario is scheduled to begin his rehab assignment on Tuesday.

Only nine of the Dodgers' remaining 27 games on the road are against teams with winning records - six games at San Francisco and three at Colorado. They do have 21 of 30 remaining home games against teams with winning records, the exceptions being three-game visits by Arizona, San Diego and Pittsburgh.
[table][tr][td]
9886370_36_3.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]The Giants' trade for Freddy Sanchez boosted a stagnant offense. (Jed Jacobsohn / Getty Images)[/td] [/tr][/table]
The Giants lead the NL in ERA, and spent the days leading up to the trading deadline trying to beef up an offense that ranks 15th in the NL in runs scored and last in OPS. They did not land the middle-of-the-lineup bat that would allow Bengie Molina to drop out of the cleanup spot, but second baseman Freddy Sanchez is an All-Star, and first baseman Ryan Garko has developing power. Giants second baseman rank 15th among 16 NL teams in OPS, and the first baseman rank 13th with 90 runs produced.

The challenge for them will be finding a solid No. 3 to replace the injured Randy Johnson behind the All-Star 1-2 punch of Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum.

The Giants have dominated at home (37-16), but have the 13th worst road record in the NL (21-31), which is a factor in light of the fact they have six more road games remaining than Colorado and two more than the Dodgers. Their endurance test comes Aug. 14-24 when they have an 11-game journey to play the Mets (four games), Cincinnati (three games) and Rockies (four games).

The Rockies rank second in the NL in runs scored, and seventh in ERA, but the key to success has been the rotation, which claimed 19 wins in June, the first NL team to have that many wins in a month since the 1975 Mets. The bullpen has been revamped. Closer Huston Street, who leads the NL with 28 saves in 29 opportunities, is the only reliever remaining from Opening Day.

In addition to July deals that brought in right-hander Rafael Betancourt to set up for Street, and lefty Joe Beimel for situation use, the Rockies promoted two of their most promising arms from the farm and are asking lefty Franklin Morales and Jhoulys Chacin to handle bullpen duties. The Rockies' current bullpen is the only one in the bigs in which every active reliever has an ERA below 4.00.

The Rockies already have matched their road win total of last year (31), have set a franchise record by sweeping four road series of three or more games, and are only eight wins shy of their road record. In compiling a best-in-baseball 38-15 record since June 4, they also regained their home-field dominance, winning 20 of 28 at Coors Field.

They travel to Philadelphia to wrap up a 10-game road trip, and then have only 21 of their final 54 games on the road, which does include a nine-game, three-city visit to San Diego, San Francisco and Arizona in mid-September

Sanchez was limping, but I think he's alright. Bip and Duane didn't make much of it. Also, I didn't see the trainer rush to Sanchez.

... at least I hope he's ok.

Back
Top Bottom