***SF Giants 2009 Season Thread (88-74)***

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

The Giants claimed Trevor Hoffman, but it appears that the Brewers will pull the reliever off waivers instead of negotiating a trade, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney.
I can see why they would want him in the bullpen, but Sabean continues to show why he's dumber than a 5th grader.

The other dude on KNBR was posing the question to Damon of whether or not the Giants did this JUST so the Rockies or Dodgers couldnt. Interesting thought.

Originally Posted by dland24

The Giants claimed Trevor Hoffman, but it appears that the Brewers will pull the reliever off waivers instead of negotiating a trade, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney.
I can see why they would want him in the bullpen, but Sabean continues to show why he's dumber than a 5th grader.
The other dude on KNBR was posing the question to Damon of whether or not the Giants did this JUST so the Rockies or Dodgers couldnt. Interesting thought.

That is an interesting thought. Just trade them Howry, Miller and/or Medders.
laugh.gif

While they would gain the major's leading saves leader and keep him away from Colorado and LA. He still wouldn't help us everyday in the batter'sbox.

Originally Posted by dland24

That's what I thought when I read it.

Even if we block Colorado and L.A. from getting Hoffman, it still won't matter if we can't get a hitter at the plate who knows what the hell he'sswinging at.

[h1]Giants claim Hoffman off waivers[/h1]

Milwaukee Brewers star closer Trevor Hoffman has been claimed on waivers by the San Francisco Giants, SI.com has learned, although it's unclear whether there's any chance the teams could make a trade for the all-time saves leader.

Teams routinely put all their players through waivers in August, and there's no indication the Brewers have great interest in trading Hoffman. Milwaukee is 12 games out of first place now, but still hasn't shown signs it's ready to dump players.

After a player is claimed, the teams have three days to work out a trade. Hoffman makes $6 million this year.

Hoffman, who's 1-1 with 27 saves and a 1.85 ERA, would boost any bullpen, though that hasn't been the Giants' area of need.

SI.com reported the Giants also had won the claim on Gary Sheffield before Sheffield was pulled back by the Mets.

In case anyone missed it:

The Giants have optioned RHP Joe Martinez to Triple-A and called up LH reliever Alex Hinshaw. With no need for a fifth starter until Sept. 5, the club elected to fortify its bullpen for the next several days.

Tonight's lineup:

Velez LF
Renteria SS
Winn RF
Sandoval 3B
Ishikawa 1B
Uribe 2B
Rowand CF
Whiteside C
Lincecum P

Also, Bengie might be back in the lineup tomorrow.

did anyone just see that? Bochy playing SMART baseball by bunting Winn...too bad it takes him until august to play fundamental baseball

Originally Posted by EZLN1

did anyone just see that? Bochy playing SMART baseball by bunting Winn...too bad it takes him until august to play fundamental baseball
I was not a fan of Winn bunting in that situation. It takes the bat out of Pablo's hands, obviously he's your best hitter. No one scaresyou in this lineup. It's a no-brainer to walk Pablo.

I'd rather have Winn strikeout/pop out. That lets Pablo swing with runners at 1st and 2nd. At least Pablo gets to takes his hacks.

Back
Top Bottom