***SF Giants 2009 Season Thread (88-74)***

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

Rockies beat the teams they're suppose to beat.

This is true. Wish I could say the same for my squad
smh.gif

When I am talking about not being impressed, Im not talking about how many runs he has given up, how many strikeouts he has or his overall statistics. Imtalking purely on my perception of his stuff. You guys say Timmy got rocked in his first start. Well he also made a bunch of guys look foolish too. He threwched. You saw flashes of brilliance.

Im not saying Bumgarner is gonna suck or anything. Im not even saying he wont be an ace pitcher. What I AM saying is, based on the hype and minor league stats,coupled with the fact that I have never seen him throw, I am not OVERLY impressed by his stuff. I dont see a mid 90s fastball like I thought I was gonna see. Idont see a huge bending off speed pitch. I dont see a dominating changeup. He has done an excellent job so far minus two pitches, but I guess after all thehype and my lack of knowledge of the kid, I was expecting to see a flame thrower with nasty movement and great offspeed pitches. Not a high 80s fastball. Thatsit

He did a good job nonetheless. I just wanted to clarify.

MadBum did pretty well considering he wasn't supposed to get called up yet. It was against a pretty tame Pads lineup though.

thats the problem, you have not seen him pitch before today ( niether have i for that matter )

Development of his off-speed and breaking pitches were part of the reason they didn't want to call him up yet. Of course, that's probably true of mostyoung pitchers.

I only know what I do about he and Posey from what i've read you dudes post and discuss.

He's a bit green in the ears, but it was a respectable debut all things considered. I'm pumped to see Posey though
smh.gif

Any shot of seeing him this weekend?

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

thats the problem, you have not seen him pitch before today ( niether have i for that matter )

OK well answer me this. Based just on his stuff (velocity, movement, off speed pitches, etc), were you impressed?

Originally Posted by dland24

When I am talking about not being impressed, Im not talking about how many runs he has given up, how many strikeouts he has or his overall statistics. Im talking purely on my perception of his stuff. You guys say Timmy got rocked in his first start. Well he also made a bunch of guys look foolish too. He threw ched. You saw flashes of brilliance.

Im not saying Bumgarner is gonna suck or anything. Im not even saying he wont be an ace pitcher. What I AM saying is, based on the hype and minor league stats, coupled with the fact that I have never seen him throw, I am not OVERLY impressed by his stuff. I dont see a mid 90s fastball like I thought I was gonna see. I dont see a huge bending off speed pitch. I dont see a dominating changeup. He has done an excellent job so far minus two pitches, but I guess after all the hype and my lack of knowledge of the kid, I was expecting to see a flame thrower with nasty movement and great offspeed pitches. Not a high 80s fastball. Thats it

I had a feeling I was going to see these kind of opinions about Bumgarner. I've seen him pitch a few times when he was in San Jose. Beforethat though, I thought the same thing. I wasn't overly impressed with his stuff. He's not going to be the dominant strikeout pitcher that Lincecum is.His huge K drop off in AA was a good indication of that. He's just going to be one of those guys that gets people out.

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

When I am talking about not being impressed, Im not talking about how many runs he has given up, how many strikeouts he has or his overall statistics. Im talking purely on my perception of his stuff. You guys say Timmy got rocked in his first start. Well he also made a bunch of guys look foolish too. He threw ched. You saw flashes of brilliance.

Im not saying Bumgarner is gonna suck or anything. Im not even saying he wont be an ace pitcher. What I AM saying is, based on the hype and minor league stats, coupled with the fact that I have never seen him throw, I am not OVERLY impressed by his stuff. I dont see a mid 90s fastball like I thought I was gonna see. I dont see a huge bending off speed pitch. I dont see a dominating changeup. He has done an excellent job so far minus two pitches, but I guess after all the hype and my lack of knowledge of the kid, I was expecting to see a flame thrower with nasty movement and great offspeed pitches. Not a high 80s fastball. Thats it

I had a feeling I was going to see these kind of opinions about Bumgarner. I've seen him pitch a few times when he was in San Jose. Before that though, I thought the same thing. I wasn't overly impressed with his stuff. He's not going to be the dominant strikeout pitcher that Lincecum is. His huge K drop off in AA was a good indication of that. He's just going to be one of those guys that gets people out.

So the prototypical Crafty Lefty?

How is he going to be "one of those guys that gets people out" exactly?

With his unimpressive fastball? Even if (when) he learns to locate his fastball better, it still tops out in the low 90's.

This kid needs to develop ALL his pitches. The hype had me believe he was a beast. I didn't see that tonight.

You think it's in Adrian Gonzalez's contract that the Padres keep his weak *$+ brother on the team?

Of course he needs to develop his other pitches. How does Cliff Lee get people out? He doesn't have an overpowering fastball either. If this was thefinished product then I'm with you, but he's 2 years out of high school. He needs time to develop.

I think you guys had too high of expectations for him. His ERA was impressive, but if you guys thought he was going to come in here blowing fastballs bypeople, and have 2 other plus pitches you had too high of expectations. Just look at his K/9 in AA.

Cliff Lee is a good comparison.

If he ends up being 80% of Cliff Lee, I'll be happy.

Dude is going to hit a few homeruns during his career too.

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

OK well answer me this. Based just on his stuff (velocity, movement, off speed pitches, etc), were you impressed?
for being 20 years, i am

Back
Top Bottom