SFFF GIANTS Season Thread (22-24)

Yup, I'll be at Photo Day tomorrow too. I'm gonna ask Tim if he's half Filipino or not.
laugh.gif

Tomorrow's game is at 6pm in AT&T Park. First 3,000 with cameras are going to be allowed on the field to take photos of players.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Tomorrow's game is at 6pm in AT&T Park. First 3,000 with cameras are going to be allowed on the field to take photos of players.

Let's go tomorrow!
pimp.gif

Didn't see the Magowan story on here...

Peter Magowan will announce Friday that he plans to retire as the Giants' managing general partner and president at the end of this season, ending a 16-year reign that brought to San Francisco a new ballpark, Barry Bonds, a World Series and, ultimately, scorn as the team became the eye of the baseball steroids storm.

He will be replaced by William Neukom, former Microsoft lead counsel and president of the American Bar Association. Larry Baer, who has been the executive vice president of the Giants and right-hand man to Magowan, will step up to become team president.
Peter Gammons is our new owner.
laugh.gif

153psw8.jpg

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Do it! I want to see if the reports are true
laugh.gif

Haha. Photo Day was real cool yesterday. Being on the field was awesome. Hung out in the outfield for a little bit while waiting for the players to comeout. All the players were there except Zito, who started yesterday. When Lincecum made his way around to greet our area, the question totally slipped my mind.I was too juiced about meeting him.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Took a picture with him.

9u7z9c.jpg

^ Yeah, from the looks of that photo, he's definitely Filipino
laugh.gif

Nice picture by the way. If I went, there would have been a handful of players I would not want to meet, like Ray Durham, Tyler Walker, Kevin Correia, RandyWinn (I hate that guy for some reason), and was Dave Roberts there? I hate him too.

laugh.gif
Yeah there are are few players who I would rather not want to meet, especially based on recent their recent performances (like Walker, Aurilia, Durham),but when there like six inches away from you, all you can think about is shaking their hand, saying wassup, and be like "your tearing it up!".
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Dave Roberts was there too. Knowing the FO and Bochy, he'll be starting in front of Fred Lewis again if he ever comes back.
smh.gif

Do they not let you take pictures WITH them anymore? I remember when I went as a kid we could. I forget who I got pictures with but I remember JT Snow was toobusy taking pictures with the ladies
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BirdsIView

Do they not let you take pictures WITH them anymore? I remember when I went as a kid we could. I forget who I got pictures with but I remember JT Snow was too busy taking pictures with the ladies
laugh.gif

I think he just edited himself out of the photo. You can see a shadow on Lincecum.

Originally Posted by Red Is On NT

Do they not let you take pictures WITH them anymore? I remember when I went as a kid we could. I forget who I got pictures with but I remember JT Snow was too busy taking pictures with the ladies
laugh.gif

I think he just edited himself out of the photo. You can see a shadow on Lincecum.

Oh, I see.

And on Tim Lincecum being Filipino here's something I found from a google search.
Such as the passing of his grandpa, whose first name he did not know how to spell.

"I just called him Grandpa Asis, because that's his last name," Lincecum said. "It's Filipino."

http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/26181

So I assume he's at least part Filipino. NT rejoice.

Originally Posted by Red Is On NT

laugh.gif

Yeah, I cropped myself out of the photo. You could still take pictures with the players, but Rowand and Aurilia said they were not allowed to do that
eyes.gif
Durham, Molina, Vizquel, Taschner, Cain, Lincecum, etc. were stoppingto pose for pictures with everyone that asked. Player preference, I guess.
Photo Day is definitely one of the better promotions along with the bobblehead days.

[h1]Dodgers, Giants regret not pursuing Vladimir Guerrero[/h1]
In 2003, the Angels invested $70 million over five years in a guy who did not play for seven weeks that year because of a bad back. The Dodgers passed on Vladimir Guerrero during their ownership transition. The San Francisco Giants passed too. His back has held up.

Guerrero never has had a teammate hit 30 homers in a season, but the Giants could have batted him behind Barry Bonds. As he retired Friday, Giants owner Peter Magowan said he regretted not pursuing Guerrero.

"I remember the baseball guys saying we've got some reservations about him with his back," Magowan told the San Francisco Chronicle. "In retrospect, he's certainly a guy we wish we'd have been able to get."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseb...bblines18-2008may18,0,4454304.story?track=rss

Originally Posted by patrickcakes

[h1]Dodgers, Giants regret not pursuing Vladimir Guerrero[/h1]
In 2003, the Angels invested $70 million over five years in a guy who did not play for seven weeks that year because of a bad back. The Dodgers passed on Vladimir Guerrero during their ownership transition. The San Francisco Giants passed too. His back has held up.

Guerrero never has had a teammate hit 30 homers in a season, but the Giants could have batted him behind Barry Bonds. As he retired Friday, Giants owner Peter Magowan said he regretted not pursuing Guerrero.

"I remember the baseball guys saying we've got some reservations about him with his back," Magowan told the San Francisco Chronicle. "In retrospect, he's certainly a guy we wish we'd have been able to get."
http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseb...bblines18-2008may18,0,4454304.story?track=rss

Who did we get instead of him after Reggie Sanders?

....Michael Tucker.
ohwell.gif

Well the MLB draft is coming up so I figure I'd toss some names out there. The baseball draft is such a crap shoot and I haven't seen any of these guysother than a handful of highlights but here they are:

Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vanderbilt (6'2'' 215, Bats/Throws: L/R)
Most scouts consider Alvarez as one of the top two talents in the draft. He has great hand strength and bat speed and has power to all fields.However, he may drop on draft day for a few reasons. First, Alvarez broke his hand in late February and he still seems bothered by the injury. Second, ScottBoras is his agent and that is a bit discouraging for some teams because his demands are going to be high (rumoured $9.5m big league contract). There are someconcerns about lack of athleticism and that he may have to move to first base down the road. Despite a pretty swing, he has a high strikeout rate but scoutsare convinced he can still hit for average in the majors. With Angel Villalona moving to 1B, Alvarez would fit in as the third baseman of the future as long ashe can take care of business with the glove.

Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina (6'3'' 215, B/L)
Smoak is probably the most complete first baseman in this draft. He is a natural power hitter with a good approach at the plate. He has a solid swing, butreally tries to pull the ball when hitting right handed. Smoak is good with the glove and a potential gold glover at first. He won't be a high average guy,but he'll put up good power numbers and he has a lot of room on his frame to bulk up. Smoak might be gone before the Giants pick and even if he's stillthere, we might pass on him since Villalona is playing first now.

Kyle Skipworth, C, Patriot HS, Riverside, CA (6'3'' 190, L/R)
Skipworth's stock has been skyrocketing because of his hot bat. He is a good contact hitter with a very level swing along with power to allfields.� On top of that, Skipworth has proven has a good arm� and the Giants are sold he can stay at catcher in the majors. If the Giants don't go for oneof the top first baseman or pitchers, Skipworth will probably be their choice.

Tim Melville, RHP, Wentzville Holt HS, Wentzville, MO (6'5'' 205, R/R)
Melville is in the mix as one of the top pitchers available in the draft. He hits low-to-mid 90's on his fastball, but tends to slow down to high 80'slater in the game. Also, he really needs to improve command on his fastball and leaves it up in the zone too often. His curveball is probably his best pitch.Melville looks very comfortable throwing it and, at times, has shown good command and break on hit. Like many young pitchers, he has yet to develop his changeup. Melville has great arm strength, but he needs to work on filling out his frame as well as working on command and adding velocity to his fastball.

Couldn't find any video on him.

That's it for now, will post some more tommorrow.

^^ Thanks for the player bios. I really like Alvarez, and he would be a perfect for the Giants, but I highly doubt he will be available at #5. I'm downwith drafting the best player available, even if it means we take another pitcher, but we should be looking at a bat no matter what.

I would be happy with C Buster Posey, 1B Justin Smoak, or SS Tim Beckham (doubt he will still be available at #5).

Back
Top Bottom