Should voting be mandatory?

Because Republicans are excellent at misdirection and know they would never win another election based on their current strategy if this were the case

Voting probably should be mandatory, but like any group project, some people don’t put in the work. Or if you wanna look at it from another view, some people don’t want everyone’s input.

The day off: yes, but mandatory voting: no. Too many people with zero knowledge or care what they're voting for? No thanks.

I wouldn’t mind voting if mail-in voting became the standard across the board. It’s always been so backwards that one of the most important things you should do as a US citizen is not a holiday so we can actually go out and vote.

Cats expect me to stand in line or go before work to vote on a work day? Oh they must be confused

moderndarwin moderndarwin In your hypothetical, "Mandatory voting for all" world,

A. What would be the expectation for people that work hours that the polls aren't open?
B. What would be the expectation for people with small children that can't afford child care?
C. What would be the penalty for NOT voting?

It's already so hard for some people to vote now that making it mandatory better come with some accessibility measures put in place for the people.

moderndarwin moderndarwin In your hypothetical, "Mandatory voting for all" world,

A. What would be the expectation for people that work hours that the polls aren't open?
B. What would be the expectation for people with small children that can't afford child care?

It's already so hard for some people to vote now that making it mandatory better come with some accessibility measures put in place for the people.
if it’s mandatory it would be a federal holiday like in other countries or mandatory time off.

like jury duty. employers can’t legally stop you from doing your civic duty

Actually, they DON'T expect you to do that.
Lol oh I know if the last decades with gerrymandering, closing of voting polls with dense minority populations and active efforts from GOP to dismantle voting protections for POC have taught me anything it’s def that

It’d be a federal holiday. i’d actually go a lot further than that.

1)
there would also be a mandatory 1 day learning day (think like drivers ed) in advance of the actual voting. There’d be a few options for days and has to be a paid holiday from work (work has to pay you normal not a PTO day).

2) There would be 2 sets of voting. The presidential vote which would be its own vote and then a secondary vote for everything else (same day same machine just it’s split - this one would require getting 70% or higher on a 10 question multiple choice test).

I’m sure there’s a lot of anti^ on that but i think absolutely everyone should vote for president of the country. I don’t think everyone should be voting for all the rest of the stuff unless they actually have some knowledge…otherwise people legit just bubble in random picks (i’ve done it). That’s a very uneducated non fair way of deciding the people who run our country.

There’s a lot more i’d consider but honestly voting (to me) is the primary role of being a citizen. We are lucky enough to live in somewhat of a democracy and our leaders and what governs us should be decided by the people…not a part of the people.

It shouldn't be mandatory but the following should be mandatory.

1. Automatic voter registration when you get your driver's license. This should be a federal law that states have to follow.

2. Mail out ballots to everyone that is registered. These ballots can be returned before election day at multiple drop off sites.

3.No removal of voters from the voting rolls unless you receive a death certificate.

It shouldn't be mandatory but the following should be mandatory.

1. Automatic voter registration when you get your driver's license. This should be a federal law that states have to follow.

2. Mail out ballots to everyone that is registered. These ballots can be returned before election day at multiple drop off sites.

3.No removal of voters from the voting rolls unless you receive a death certificate.
I’ll take it a step further. Also, you should be able to vote from your phone/computer and your ballot should contain links to videos of candidates explaining where they stand on key issues.

Idk man, mail-in and internet voting would leave a lot of room for BS to go down.
Mail in Voting has been going strong in Colorado for as long as I can remember. This is one of the reasons Colorado moved from a purple state to a blue one as the population changed.

Essentially every registered voter gets their ballot in the mail at least 3 weeks in advance of ever election. I am signed up for email notices so I get an email letting me know when my ballot is on the way, when it has been received and when it was counted. There are numerous free drop offs around the state.

I trust this process completely.

No to any online based voting.

Yall must want foolishness to take place.
When you vote in person on a screen in person it’s connected via a server that tabulates all the votes. I’m not an Information Security professional, but I have to believe there’s a way to implement the same level of security on an app or something.

I mean you can renew your passport and file all your tax information online so I’m sure there’s a way. Nothing is gonna be 100% perfect but the increase in voter participation outweighs the risk IMO

Back
Top Bottom