Should we tax churches? (Not time to bash religion, we're talking about money)

dame theory

Banned
It seems that a major way to get this country ...or at least help get this country out of its crippling debt would be to start taxing churches. The amount of revenue from this might be astounding...however, it brings up the issue that the churches would have more of a right to openly participate in legislation and other matters of government. Others will say that "hey they already do anyways so lets tax 'em." On that same token, higher taxes might eliminate some churches altogether due to the fees.�

Another suggestion is to have churches submit itemized budgets of everything they're doing with their money as well.�

Its all in theory though because i'm sure someone could scare a politician into thinking they'll go to hell for taxing a church. Religion wins again...�
eyes.gif

Just food for thought.�

It seems that a major way to get this country ...or at least help get this country out of its crippling debt would be to start taxing churches. The amount of revenue from this might be astounding...however, it brings up the issue that the churches would have more of a right to openly participate in legislation and other matters of government. Others will say that "hey they already do anyways so lets tax 'em." On that same token, higher taxes might eliminate some churches altogether due to the fees.�

Another suggestion is to have churches submit itemized budgets of everything they're doing with their money as well.�

Its all in theory though because i'm sure someone could scare a politician into thinking they'll go to hell for taxing a church. Religion wins again...�
eyes.gif

Just food for thought.�

Hell yea, Its about time we do. Churches make billions exploiting followers and its all untaxed. IMHO its no different than any other business, they're selling a product as far as I'm concerned so why not tax them?

Hell yea, Its about time we do. Churches make billions exploiting followers and its all untaxed. IMHO its no different than any other business, they're selling a product as far as I'm concerned so why not tax them?

I'm not exactly sure how a church is run fiscally. Anything that profits and operates in the US should get taxed imo. Taxes pay for a general sense of well-being (perceived or real) for the entire country. They pay for the roads, the military that protects us, etc and as a church in some indirect way utilizes all this to operate I see no reason for them to be tax-exempt.

Honestly though, I don't think corporations/business should be taxed at all. Same way I don't think there should be a sales tax.

I think there should be a state income tax, and a federal income tax and that they are relative to the amount of money that you made and to the amount of overall 'wealth' you possess. A person making 35k a year should be getting taxed extremely minimally. However, there would be provisions of wealth. Meaning if this is your first year being a baller and you don't have any saved wealth then you wouldn't be taxed as much as someone who has 20 mill in the bank and made the same amount of money as you that year.

My tax bracket opinion:
0-15k - no taxes
16k-27k - 4% taxes (2% federal)
28k-49k - 8% taxes (4% federal)
50k-75k - 13% taxes (6.5% federal)
76-129k - 24% taxes (12% federal)
130k+ - 73% taxes (first 129k at 24%)

Additionally, there shouldn't be ANY sales tax on cars etc, only a 'luxury' tax or a 'health' tax. Ie, high end cars, any cars above 30k, yachts, etc. Health tax on items with high fructose sugar, alky, cigarettes, etc.

Additionally, all fast food/non restaurants should be pay per calorie, $1 for 150 calories. So a 750 calorie item/meal would be $5. Would force them to rethink 'fast food' to make it healthier and calorie conscious.

Sorry to ramble on about my own opinions but was just randomly chatting with a friend about it an hour ago.

absolutely IMO.....religion has to be in the upper echelon in terms of pure profits....im of the understanfing that corporations have to pay taxes on the profits they make, so why not churches.

I'm not exactly sure how a church is run fiscally. Anything that profits and operates in the US should get taxed imo. Taxes pay for a general sense of well-being (perceived or real) for the entire country. They pay for the roads, the military that protects us, etc and as a church in some indirect way utilizes all this to operate I see no reason for them to be tax-exempt.

Honestly though, I don't think corporations/business should be taxed at all. Same way I don't think there should be a sales tax.

I think there should be a state income tax, and a federal income tax and that they are relative to the amount of money that you made and to the amount of overall 'wealth' you possess. A person making 35k a year should be getting taxed extremely minimally. However, there would be provisions of wealth. Meaning if this is your first year being a baller and you don't have any saved wealth then you wouldn't be taxed as much as someone who has 20 mill in the bank and made the same amount of money as you that year.

My tax bracket opinion:
0-15k - no taxes

Additionally, there shouldn't be ANY sales tax on cars etc, only a 'luxury' tax or a 'health' tax. Ie, high end cars, any cars above 30k, yachts, etc. Health tax on items with high fructose sugar, alky, cigarettes, etc.

Additionally, all fast food/non restaurants should be pay per calorie, $1 for 150 calories. So a 750 calorie item/meal would be $5. Would force them to rethink 'fast food' to make it healthier and calorie conscious.

Sorry to ramble on about my own opinions but was just randomly chatting with a friend about it an hour ago.

absolutely IMO.....religion has to be in the upper echelon in terms of pure profits....im of the understanfing that corporations have to pay taxes on the profits they make, so why not churches.

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

My tax bracket opinion:
0-15k - no taxes

Son, are you serrrrrriiosly serious?
indifferent.gif

You want churcchs to be taxes but not businesses 
indifferent.gif

you wanna tax at 73%
indifferent.gif

you waanna pay per calorie 
indifferent.gif

My tax bracket opinion:
0-15k - no taxes

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

you wanna tax at 73%
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

My tax bracket opinion:
0-15k - no taxes

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

you wanna tax at 73%
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by AF92

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]THIS.[/color]

Originally Posted by AF92

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]THIS.[/color]

My tax bracket opinion:
0-15k - no taxes

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

you wanna tax at 73%
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

My tax bracket opinion:
0-15k - no taxes

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

you wanna tax at 73%
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

It's easy to stoneface an idea without seriously thinking it through ye?

-Obesity 
indifferent.gif

-Inequal distribution of wealth 
indifferent.gif

In the US, as of 2007,
Financial Wealth

Top 1%: 42.7% of the wealth
Next 19%: 50.3% of the wealth
Bottom 80%: 7.0% of the wealth

And I wasn't saying that churches should be taxed and corporations shouldn't...i was answering the OP and then giving my opinion.  I was saying neither should be taxed.  Thinking further about it though, I think corporations and churches etc should be taxed heavily once a certain profit level is reached.  They are benefiting from society and are indebted in giving back.  I hate the concept of charity etc...it doesn't address the real problem but instead serves to cure rather than prevent.

As for the pay for food thing, it's just an idea, like a concept car.  To get thinking done in a different way.  The sedentary American lifestyle is terrible for the health of our nation.  Damn near every state is obese.  It is because of our fast food and what we value in our food.  The recent change to show calories at fast food places has had no statistical impact on the choices people make in their foods.  At this point it is not lack of knowledge by the consumer, but rather an institutionalized way of thinking about food.  Unless we hurt the pockets of the fast food corporations they have no incentive to change and make healthier alternatives also the more cost effective choice.  No one living in the projects is going to pay $8 for an unhealthy burger when a similar healthier alternative is $3.

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

My tax bracket opinion:
0-15k - no taxes

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

you wanna tax at 73%
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

It's easy to stoneface an idea without seriously thinking it through ye?

-Obesity 
indifferent.gif

-Inequal distribution of wealth 
indifferent.gif

In the US, as of 2007,
Financial Wealth

Top 1%: 42.7% of the wealth
Next 19%: 50.3% of the wealth
Bottom 80%: 7.0% of the wealth

And I wasn't saying that churches should be taxed and corporations shouldn't...i was answering the OP and then giving my opinion.  I was saying neither should be taxed.  Thinking further about it though, I think corporations and churches etc should be taxed heavily once a certain profit level is reached.  They are benefiting from society and are indebted in giving back.  I hate the concept of charity etc...it doesn't address the real problem but instead serves to cure rather than prevent.

As for the pay for food thing, it's just an idea, like a concept car.  To get thinking done in a different way.  The sedentary American lifestyle is terrible for the health of our nation.  Damn near every state is obese.  It is because of our fast food and what we value in our food.  The recent change to show calories at fast food places has had no statistical impact on the choices people make in their foods.  At this point it is not lack of knowledge by the consumer, but rather an institutionalized way of thinking about food.  Unless we hurt the pockets of the fast food corporations they have no incentive to change and make healthier alternatives also the more cost effective choice.  No one living in the projects is going to pay $8 for an unhealthy burger when a similar healthier alternative is $3.

just did a tax return today and a couple donated $3680 to their church. I was 
eek.gif
at the thought that a lot more people would send in more and hundreds if not thousands go to that church, just imagine superchurches though
eek.gif
. I'm all for taxing it

just did a tax return today and a couple donated $3680 to their church. I was 
eek.gif
at the thought that a lot more people would send in more and hundreds if not thousands go to that church, just imagine superchurches though
eek.gif
. I'm all for taxing it

Simply put. Yes.

Slightly unrelated...How much in todays money did the Church tax the residents of its land in the dark ages? Obviously you can't put a physical number on it but makes you wonder.

Back
Top Bottom