Should we tax churches? (Not time to bash religion, we're talking about money)

Simply put. Yes.

Slightly unrelated...How much in todays money did the Church tax the residents of its land in the dark ages? Obviously you can't put a physical number on it but makes you wonder.

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

I'm not exactly sure how a church is run fiscally. Anything that profits and operates in the US should get taxed imo. Taxes pay for a general sense of well-being (perceived or real) for the entire country. They pay for the roads, the military that protects us, etc and as a church in some indirect way utilizes all this to operate I see no reason for them to be tax-exempt.

Honestly though, I don't think corporations/business should be taxed at all. Same way I don't think there should be a sales tax.

I think there should be a state income tax, and a federal income tax and that they are relative to the amount of money that you made and to the amount of overall 'wealth' you possess. A person making 35k a year should be getting taxed extremely minimally. However, there would be provisions of wealth. Meaning if this is your first year being a baller and you don't have any saved wealth then you wouldn't be taxed as much as someone who has 20 mill in the bank and made the same amount of money as you that year.

My tax bracket opinion:
0-15k - no taxes
16k-27k - 4% taxes (2% federal)
28k-49k - 8% taxes (4% federal)
50k-75k - 13% taxes (6.5% federal)
76-129k - 24% taxes (12% federal)
130k+ - 73% taxes (first 129k at 24%)

Additionally, there shouldn't be ANY sales tax on cars etc, only a 'luxury' tax or a 'health' tax. Ie, high end cars, any cars above 30k, yachts, etc. Health tax on items with high fructose sugar, alky, cigarettes, etc.

Additionally, all fast food/non restaurants should be pay per calorie, $1 for 150 calories. So a 750 calorie item/meal would be $5. Would force them to rethink 'fast food' to make it healthier and calorie conscious.

Sorry to ramble on about my own opinions but was just randomly chatting with a friend about it an hour ago.
Son, are you serrrrrriiosly serious?
indifferent.gif

You want churcchs to be taxes but not businesses 
indifferent.gif

you wanna tax at 73%
indifferent.gif

you waanna pay per calorie 
indifferent.gif
I thought he meant 37%
laugh.gif

I'm not exactly sure how a church is run fiscally. Anything that profits and operates in the US should get taxed imo. Taxes pay for a general sense of well-being (perceived or real) for the entire country. They pay for the roads, the military that protects us, etc and as a church in some indirect way utilizes all this to operate I see no reason for them to be tax-exempt.

Honestly though, I don't think corporations/business should be taxed at all. Same way I don't think there should be a sales tax.

I think there should be a state income tax, and a federal income tax and that they are relative to the amount of money that you made and to the amount of overall 'wealth' you possess. A person making 35k a year should be getting taxed extremely minimally. However, there would be provisions of wealth. Meaning if this is your first year being a baller and you don't have any saved wealth then you wouldn't be taxed as much as someone who has 20 mill in the bank and made the same amount of money as you that year.

My tax bracket opinion:
0-15k - no taxes

Additionally, there shouldn't be ANY sales tax on cars etc, only a 'luxury' tax or a 'health' tax. Ie, high end cars, any cars above 30k, yachts, etc. Health tax on items with high fructose sugar, alky, cigarettes, etc.

Additionally, all fast food/non restaurants should be pay per calorie, $1 for 150 calories. So a 750 calorie item/meal would be $5. Would force them to rethink 'fast food' to make it healthier and calorie conscious.

Sorry to ramble on about my own opinions but was just randomly chatting with a friend about it an hour ago.
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

you wanna tax at 73%
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
I thought he meant 37%
laugh.gif

Yo... can you IMAGINE the amount of revenue states and governments would earn?
Its crazy though... church going people don't even realize wat they're doing sometimes... they pay income tax...and state tax...and some of them are REALLY donating 10% of their remaining income after bills and food to church. For real though. 
roll.gif

sick.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Once the church hits that emotional cord simps start getting rattled and the money just flows
30t6p3b.gif

Yo... can you IMAGINE the amount of revenue states and governments would earn?
Its crazy though... church going people don't even realize wat they're doing sometimes... they pay income tax...and state tax...and some of them are REALLY donating 10% of their remaining income after bills and food to church. For real though. 
roll.gif

sick.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Once the church hits that emotional cord simps start getting rattled and the money just flows
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by bns1201

absolutely IMO.....religion has to be in the upper echelon in terms of pure profits....im of the understanfing that corporations have to pay taxes on the profits they make, so why not churches.

Businesses are regulated with laws, hence white collar crimes.

Businesses also provide services and goods. Churches don't.

Why should churches be taxed when they don't provide goods or services?

Originally Posted by bns1201

absolutely IMO.....religion has to be in the upper echelon in terms of pure profits....im of the understanfing that corporations have to pay taxes on the profits they make, so why not churches.

Businesses are regulated with laws, hence white collar crimes.

Businesses also provide services and goods. Churches don't.

Why should churches be taxed when they don't provide goods or services?

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

For all of you wanting churches to be taxed I hope you enjoy your time in hell.

Thus why those that get scared of "hell" back off. 
Mental midgets
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Its a cycle that feeds itself. 

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

For all of you wanting churches to be taxed I hope you enjoy your time in hell.

Thus why those that get scared of "hell" back off. 
Mental midgets
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Its a cycle that feeds itself. 

My tax bracket opinion:
0-15k - no taxes

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

you wanna tax at 73%
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

I can tell you no nothing about history. For the majority of the 1900s the top tax bracket was taxed 70%. It wasnt until Reagen came into office that we see the top tax bracket get taxed so little. At certain points the top tax bracket was taxed up to 91%

http://www.taxfoundation....blications/show/151.html

My tax bracket opinion:
0-15k - no taxes

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

you wanna tax at 73%
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

I can tell you no nothing about history. For the majority of the 1900s the top tax bracket was taxed 70%. It wasnt until Reagen came into office that we see the top tax bracket get taxed so little. At certain points the top tax bracket was taxed up to 91%

http://www.taxfoundation....blications/show/151.html

On the fence about this because I've definitely seen both sides of the spectrum. I attended a church for years that could barely afford to keep running. On the flipside, I have also been part of an extremely wealthy church with a state of the art surround sound system, wireless mics, etc.

On the fence about this because I've definitely seen both sides of the spectrum. I attended a church for years that could barely afford to keep running. On the flipside, I have also been part of an extremely wealthy church with a state of the art surround sound system, wireless mics, etc.

Churches definitely provide a service. When you go to church, you go to the 11AM SERVICE. They should definitely be taxed. Tax them on income and on land. Combined, they own more land than any other entity in the world. If we started taxing churches, the bible would be amended and tithes would go up to 15-20%....

Churches definitely provide a service. When you go to church, you go to the 11AM SERVICE. They should definitely be taxed. Tax them on income and on land. Combined, they own more land than any other entity in the world. If we started taxing churches, the bible would be amended and tithes would go up to 15-20%....

Back
Top Bottom