Sleep Paralysis is serious business

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
I just had another episode.  I woke up and couldnt move and felt like both my arms were alseep (like the tingle when your leg is asleep).
Ive had couple of these this year alone, but never really searched on the "medical term".

The worst one i had was on some inception +++@ where i woke up and shook one off but really i was in another dream and had to wake up and shake that one off.  Also felt like a demon was kneeing my back to the bed and made it harder for me to move.  I never took it serious though.

ive sometimes thought that maybe that i am in that certain position inside the dream, but it actually is your body still asleep.  

</end blog entry>

My girl had this happen a few months ago. I had no warning of this before. I thought she was going crazy. 
laugh.gif

happens to me once in a while, it has to something with the way you sleep and the REM cycle.

I just go back to sleep and it goes away, dont panic, it makes it worse.

This thread comes up pretty often, and i post in them everytime
laugh.gif
. But yea man, sleep paralysis aint no joke. Whether its a scientific thing, or a spiritual thing...its pretty creepy.

Yea son. It's no bueno.

It's the only time I feel true panic because otherwise if I'm awake I don't give a @!%# about much.

Happened to me maybe 4-5 times in one night. It was the position I was in. Once I changed my sleeping position, I was good.

Originally Posted by Paycheck26

laugh.gif
. But yea man, sleep paralysis aint no joke. Whether its a scientific thing, or a spiritual thing...its pretty creepy.
me too 
laugh.gif

actually had a case earlier this week when I was taking a nap. As soon I started falling asleep I felt it coming on/saw that shadowy figure briefly. 
frown.gif

Happened to me a few times. Feels like something is hovering over you holding you down. The only thing that could move was my eyes but still blurry. After about 20 of the longest seconds I started hollering, heart racing.

Scariest $!% ever. Period

I just realized why it never bugged me.

my mind power is amazing i would go through it and then will my body into moving somehow... little by little

Originally Posted by NikeAirForce1

Anyone else learned about sleep paralysis from NT?
laugh.gif

We probably get like 50 threads a year on this.
laugh.gif
Once a month perhaps. Funny thing is this happens rarely for me so once I wake up from sleep paralysis, I generally go back to sleep and suffer from it again. 
laugh.gif
 I don't learn my lesson.

Originally Posted by Shorty Doo Wop

Originally Posted by NikeAirForce1

Anyone else learned about sleep paralysis from NT?
laugh.gif

We probably get like 50 threads a year on this.
laugh.gif

Never even heard of it before NT
laugh.gif
I thought someothing was really wrong with me before NT. Now I dont feel so bad

This used to happen every night to me back in high school

Happens once in awhile now but its not that bad

I had it like 5 times in a half hour stretch not so long ago.

Everytime i went under i'd immediately seize up. I was convinced my time was up
embarassed.gif
laugh.gif

Most recent one i had was that inception joint though. I was tryna shake myself out as usual but i went o.d and fell out the bed.. I was expecting to feel pain but i didnt feel $+#$ so i realised i was still under. Start spazzing after that, thought i was gonna get trapped or some $+#$
eek.gif

happens to me from time to time. the trick is to just not give a +%%$. i just close my eyes and go back to sleep.

laugh.gif
There is a scientific explanation. I talked about it in a dream thread a while back.

Sleep paralysis is a disturbance in the body's regulation of the different phases of sleep and awake state. Which is controlled by hormones. It's actually kinda easy logic, even if it seems kinda spooky. During sleep the body goes through three phases of N-REM were the last one is the "deepest sleep" , slow wave sleep, if you wake up from this you'll feel very tired. 
After the N-REM 3 phase the brain waves pick up paste to pretty much the same as when you're awake, this phase is called REM sleep and is physiologically different from N-REM, REM is short for Rapid eye movement sleep(while the N in N-REM stands for Non-). 

REM is often simply called dream sleep as this is when most of the dreaming takes place, vividly recalled dreams mostly occur in REM, remembering dreams from N-REM is possible, but rather rare and less vivid. 
Ok further on, During REM your body goes into REM atonia, a state in which the motor neurons are not stimulated and thus the body's muscles do not move. After REM phase the sleep circle start over again into the light sleep of N-REM 1. The time of the circle varies but the first one tends to be around 90 minutes were REM is 10 min, but REM time is increasing for each circle were the last one can be up to 90 minutes of REM sleep. REM sleep in adult humans typically occupies 20–25% of total sleep.
While in newborn babies 80%!

With all things in life, systems fail, Sleep paralysis happens when you awake too "abruptly" from REM sleep, remember the brain waves during REM are similar to being awake, in other words you are close to awake but not awake, so sleep paralysis happens when you in fact do awake and the attributes of REM continues. In a way you can that you fully awake while still dreaming. This can often lead to an uncontrolled panic reaction as you are still having muscle atonia and your senses are still playing dreamy ticks on you, similar to when sleeping in REM. Panic further on leads to nightmarish conditions, which can lead to terrifying hallucinations. This is by many seen as one of the main reasons for reports of everything from Devils, Ghosts, Angels, Aliens. *yahoo answers

I'm a psych minor so I'm not the best when it comes to stuff concerning psychology, but I'm open to fielding questions.
nerd.gif

laugh.gif

s
m

h

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by DMoney82

Happened to me a few times. Feels like something is hovering over you holding you down. The only thing that could move was my eyes but still blurry. After about 20 of the longest seconds I started hollering, heart racing.

Scariest $!% ever. Period
Same here bro.  Scared me the first time it happened.  I thought i was possessed!!  Now that i researched it I don't feel so bad.

Originally Posted by al3x89

laugh.gif

s
m

h

indifferent.gif

Exactly
This is almost as bad as that dude who thought Sleep Paralysis was the devil invading him or something stupid. 
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom