Originally Posted by acanuso

whats fad?.03

Originally Posted by acanuso

is this real?

6da369f26e659f83b4932fb5f929a5b0d41f2f47_r.png
6da369f26e659f83b4932fb5f929a5b0d41f2f47_r.png

Originally Posted by cucumbercool

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

You know what I thought of when browsing this post?

People with 9-10 pairs of the LeBron IX. IT'S THE SAME SHOE!!!

Honestly it's amazing. I feel bad having WC/BC III's, I can't even imagine having 9 pairs of the same fricken shoe.

But why. When you enjoy a shoe you buy it. A favorite shoe some buy 2. A favorite model comes in a few colors even better..I'm relatively young but even when aqua 8 dropped, it was up at 9 home by 10. Even white cement 3 it was so easy. But as long as I can afford them I'll keep buying
I just fel like an idiot having multiple colorways, when I've usually got 2 or 3 other shoes I'd rather have. I really like trying everything too, so it hurts the variety.

I couldn't imagine people with the insane amount of colorways of Kobe/LeBron's now. They do realize new shoes come out every year, right?

Yes the shoe game is dead. I remeber you could buy kicks from Nters for cheaper than instore. I have to say bye to most of my kicks. Sad thing I think wearing different shoes has ruined my feet.

Ive been collecting for 15 years and the og concords and mjs return is what started it all for me.. And after completing my 1-23 several colorway complete collections back in the year of the jordan 23s released and when they started to saturate the market with retros and retro+ i kinda hand in the towel but being a true sneakerhead i cant totally keep away from buying shoes especially jordans both retros for nostalgic reasons and the new ones to play competitive ball in league games... I miss the times when you can tell the real people who buy and rock jordans are the ones who are really passionate about the shoes and not every guy on the block has them just for the heck of it.. It really makes me smh seeing comments on pics of upcoming retro releases when i saw a bunch of ppl saying they dont like the shoe but their still gonna cop anyway coz ppl are saying its a must have
30t6p3b.gif
i buy what i lke and sadly what im liking are ending up being hyped up with limited releases and must-haves status for all these ppl who are jumping into the Js and sneaker "collecting" bandwagon.. back when not everyone is into them im being the only one whos rocking jordans on and off the court around our area.. Now every where you turn you can see some sort of js everywhere... Back in the day we buy multiple pairs coz we love the shoe so we buy one to rock one to keep deadstock ( yeah i keep a pair ds coz i love how a shoe looks being brand new and untouched) and one extra for use when we rocked the first pair down to the ground coz i ball in some of my Js.. And i dont buy if its not my size.. Now i just buy a pair for current or future use and hardly double up anymore since its been very difficult to buy the shoes with all the hype.. So far other than the bordeaux ive been lucky to get what i wanted ln the recent releases but yeah its been quite frustrating now to buy sneakers thats its become more like work than a hobby of passion...

Oh and on another note it really baffled me back when the 13s first retroed how they fell apart way before my og pairs...
30t6p3b.gif

It can't be dead and a fad, which one is it? I will answer that, it is a fad and its bigger than ever. which sucks for people who have been doing it for a long time, but this is pathetic. a bunch of grown men whining and complaining about the kids. smh

The first DMP pack ruined it. Well in the DMV.
Never seen any lines, camping, or any of that crap here until that packed dropped. After that, non stop camping, resellers, and hypebeasts.

Like I have been saying for years, it use to be getting shoes to ball in, and looking fresh for the females, now........."breaking necks", and all that other garbage. 
30t6p3b.gif

These kids and new found "sneakerheads" are taking it somewhere else. I buy what I like. I have not purchased anything JB for about a year now, and after the Olympic VI's

I will probably be done with JB all together. 

Take it how you want, but sleeping outside of stores multiple days to spend your hard earned money on shoes is craziness. Doing it to resell is even worse. 

After what happen with the Concords, I am VERY concerned and afraid to see what will happen with the SB Lebron Elites, and Yeezy 2's. I am 30 by the way.

Originally Posted by LBCOL

It can't be dead and a fad, which one is it? I will answer that, it is a fad and its bigger than ever. which sucks for people who have been doing it for a long time, but this is pathetic. a bunch of grown men whining and complaining about the kids. smh

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

It's not dead, it will never die for those that truly collect shoes.
I've been buying sneakers heavy since I got my first paycheck back in 1997.

That being said, I am definitely taking a major timeout. �Passing on the "Playoff" XII's was hard 'cause I truly like the shoe and have a pristine pair in the closet that I don't want touching the ground (too fresh). �I wanted to get a pair for the summer but the hassle is just too much right now.

Sorry, I know the kids in this section of the forum are going to get their panties in a bunch over what I'm going to say but the only reason kids 20 and under are scooping up these kicks are because of hype, they want to be part of the crowd... nothing more. �So @*%* your made up nostalgia stories about this and that. �It's all hype, 'cause you have no real connection to watching MJ play in his prime.

If you are 22 and below, you were born when Jordan made his first title run against the Lakers so there is no way you remember that or the first three peat. �You were 3 years old when Jordan held that trophy tight after Paxson hit that three to beat the Suns and that years MVP....Charles Barkley. �You were 3 when MJ said he was giving up basketball to pursue baseball. �I remember crying when he retired the first time, and almost beat my cousins %%+ when he sold the 91' Upper Deck Card of MJ swinging a bat. �You were 5 when MJ said "I'm Back" and returned with the "45" on his back. �Finally, you were 8 when Jordan sank that shot against the Jazz and called it quits once again.

So congrats, you remember MJ as a Wizard and caught the rest of his highlights of ripped DVD's.

I have a lot of respect for people who collect sneakers, fondly remember the days the second round of retro's started dropping in '99. �Standing in line was simply showing up to a shoe spot 20-30 minutes early. �Chilling in the car, see the manager show up so everyone would get in line 10-15 minutes before the store opened. �Shoot the $%## (it was usually the same group of people�
smokin.gif
), talk about MJ and the next release. �Buy 1 or 2 pairs, get some breakfast and call it a day.

All these shenanigans nowadays,
30t6p3b.gif
. �ALL HYPE!!!

I miss it, it isn't dead, but definitely taking a hiatus for now.
I read this post once through and then read it again with this beat playing

I think you older folks are just hating on the younger generation like me. So what we love J's. Just cause you guys seen MJ in his prime I personally don't think that has anything to do with anybody wearing his shoes. You guys just can't accept the fact that kids are more materialistic nowadays. I'm sure you guys can just reflect on your own kids. Im sure your kids want nice shoes as well as you all do. Whats next, you gonna hate on your own kids because they hyped about J's. C'mon with that *******t. Grow up and quit complaining. We don't be complaining when we see y'all grown *!* man crying when you don't get a pair of retro release. Dont you have bills and ++@% to pay for. Call me a hypebeast call me what you wanna call me. Imma buy what i like and everybody gonna spend their money on what they like. That word hypebeast gets on my nerves every time I hear it.

Originally Posted by AirJaiden

I think you older folks are just hating on the younger generation like me. So what we love J's. Just cause you guys seen MJ in his prime I personally don't think that has anything to do with anybody wearing his shoes. You guys just can't accept the fact that kids are more materialistic nowadays. I'm sure you guys can just reflect on your own kids. Im sure your kids want nice shoes as well as you all do. Whats next, you gonna hate on your own kids because they hyped about J's. C'mon with that *******t. Grow up and quit complaining. We don't be complaining when we see y'all grown *!* man crying when you don't get a pair of retro release. Dont you have bills and ++@% to pay for. Call me a hypebeast call me what you wanna call me. Imma buy what i like and everybody gonna spend their money on what they like. That word hypebeast gets on my nerves every time I hear it.

It's a fad to you kiddo just admit it. You like J's because everyone else does and you wanna fit in. Show respect to the originators son.

Originally Posted by spizike231

Sneaker "collecting" won't be done with until everyone who has a decent sized collection sells off all their pairs.. and even then, it'll probably go to someone who wants a pair to add to their collection. Just because it isn't what it was doesn't mean that it's done. It's a fad for the kids of today who only want what everyone else is getting, but you still got dudes who have knowledge in the game and are still collecting all the pairs that they missed out on back in the day. You do have a point though, with all the hypebeasts and resellers in the way, it's more like we're fighting for shoes now not even collecting.. Nike and JB limiting their shoes to cause hype and create more business around it.. there are so many directions that you can point the finger in.

What the kids are doing by reselling all these new retros isn't "sneaker collecting". THAT is a fad.
I stopped reading after I read this because everything was said.  
My own 2 cents, I hope it does end so I can start copping and wearing what I want without all the extra hassle.

I agree with you totally 100% on this but i've told myself multiple times that i'd quit the shoe game but there's always just one release that drags me back in

I think its a fad too, i have baby pics wearing jays and remember having the olive 9s when i was 5, i grew up in harlem/washington heighs in manhattan so being fresh was a big deal, and my mom would drop up to 300+ bucks on kicks to get em early for me, because they were the coolest shoes around, it was a fashion thing to her and i didnt know the prices she paid till recently, but i still have a real love for Jordans, not just because others like them, but because theyre just my favorite shoe, i dont think 90% of shoes out there hold a candle to most of I-XIII.

It's nice remembering wearing them back in the day, but i dont think that makes you a real shoe head either, but i wouldnt go as far as to say young kids cant truly appreciate the shoes and only do it as a fad, that may be true for a high percentage, but there truly are SOME kids that appreciate the kicks for what they are.

Im 23 so i may be older than some of the kids being referred too, but i dont think every young kid just wants them cause of what others think, i know another big part for me is looking up to my cousin and uncle and they stayed on Jordans so i remember wanting the cool grey 9's and 11s so bad it hurt when they dropped around 2000, i remember lusting so much after foams when they dropped but couldnt afford them, so i wound up with Flightposite 3s. And i also remember #**%$+@* bricks when not only did i get the white/college blue 17s in the briefcase but the black/silver too a few weeks early, for my 13th birthday. Jordans have been a big part of my life and for me at this point its not beasting.

Its just sad that at this point i cant get stuff i had or missed and remember as a kid that i really want because some douche wants to make 40 bucks on resell.

Havent been able to score any foams, missed my playoffs, luckily i found them in europe, missed concords, missed cool grey 11s, missed 10s, etc.

You guys have been whining about this for years. I'm tired of reading "the sneaker scene is dead", "this hobby sucks now" and whatnot. It's not dead, it's just reaching its potential. As far as the quality goes, CONTROL IT. Stop buying them, demand better quality, and you will get it. Nike is a business just like any other, they are out to make a profit, so they will sell the cheapest product they can get away with. If you really care, don't let them get away with it.

Originally Posted by IJUMPMAN

You guys have been whining about this for years. I'm tired of reading "the sneaker scene is dead", "this hobby sucks now" and whatnot. It's not dead, it's just reaching its potential. As far as the quality goes, CONTROL IT. Stop buying them, demand better quality, and you will get it. Nike is a business just like any other, they are out to make a profit, so they will sell the cheapest product they can get away with. If you really care, don't let them get away with it.

agreed. people have been saying this is dead and thats dead since Nas made that album... let go. if your not with it dont buy

Originally Posted by 23SOLE

Originally Posted by AirJaiden

It's a fad to you kiddo just admit it. You like J's because everyone else does and you wanna fit in. Show respect to the originators son.

Fad or not. I don't need to fit in with anybody. Most people can't even afford these overprice sneakers. And you guys are not the originators. MJ is the originator. I respect MJ.

That being said, I am definitely taking a major timeout.  Passing on the "Playoff" XII's was hard 'cause I truly like the shoe and have a pristine pair in the closet that I don't want touching the ground (too fresh).  I wanted to get a pair for the summer but the hassle is just too much right now.

Sorry, I know the kids in this section of the forum are going to get their panties in a bunch over what I'm going to say but the only reason kids 20 and under are scooping up these kicks are because of hype, they want to be part of the crowd... nothing more.  So @*%* your made up nostalgia stories about this and that.  It's all hype, 'cause you have no real connection to watching MJ play in his prime.

If you are 22 and below, you were born when Jordan made his first title run against the Lakers so there is no way you remember that or the first three peat.  You were 3 years old when Jordan held that trophy tight after Paxson hit that three to beat the Suns and that years MVP....Charles Barkley.  You were 3 when MJ said he was giving up basketball to pursue baseball.  I remember crying when he retired the first time, and almost beat my cousins %%+ when he sold the 91' Upper Deck Card of MJ swinging a bat.  You were 5 when MJ said "I'm Back" and returned with the "45" on his back.  Finally, you were 8 when Jordan sank that shot against the Jazz and called it quits once again.

So congrats, you remember MJ as a Wizard and caught the rest of his highlights of ripped DVD's.

I have a lot of respect for people who collect sneakers, fondly remember the days the second round of retro's started dropping in '99.  Standing in line was simply showing up to a shoe spot 20-30 minutes early.  Chilling in the car, see the manager show up so everyone would get in line 10-15 minutes before the store opened.  Shoot the $%## (it was usually the same group of people 
smokin.gif
), talk about MJ and the next release.  Buy 1 or 2 pairs, get some breakfast and call it a day.

30t6p3b.gif
.  ALL HYPE!!!

This is the truth right here... I get into it with my younger cousins and newphews all time about this shoes.

Anyone 30 & older who's been into shoes since mid to late 80's are true originators to this whole sneaker phenomenon. We started buying stocks of shoes we simply just loved. We witnessed it all experienced it all. Some youngbucks will never understand. It wasn't just Jordans btw some of us rocked Troop, Ellesse, British Knights, Lotto to name a few.

ok so i realize that this is the "jordan" thread but i have an idea: maybe if there were other shoes available besides jordans than people wouldnt go crazy and loose their minds and buy them all up and then try to resell them. maybe if we had other choices than it wouldnt be a monopoly and jordan brand wouldnt own us. maybe if we had these other choices than the hobby of shoe collecting could never really "die" because there would always be another company making something new that we like!.......

......oh thats right there is.

quite frankly if you believe any of this than you are not a "shoehead" or even a "sneakerhead" for that matter. you are simply a "jordan"head. jordans are probably less than 1% of all footwear brands available. expand your horizons people because until you do that than all of this complaining and talk of the "game" being dead is moot...

I don't know know if I'll ever be out of sneakers completely, but I'm definitely done with Jordan's. I sold off 90% of the pairs I had and haven't bought a pair since the true blues. I have no intentions of buying another pair either.

I'm just wondering why there is hate amongst age group. Its just shoes. Yeah you 30+ guys had the opportunity to have the first releases when J's first dropped. You guys have the upper hand to have the OG releases when they dropped with better quality and more affordable. Us on the other hand get to experience the high prices and overhyped with less quality. You guys always had the advantage. So when a retro drops you guys should be happy you once had an opportunity to pick up the first release of these shoes instead of a retro.

Originally Posted by BayArea23

That being said, I am definitely taking a major timeout.  Passing on the "Playoff" XII's was hard 'cause I truly like the shoe and have a pristine pair in the closet that I don't want touching the ground (too fresh).  I wanted to get a pair for the summer but the hassle is just too much right now.

Sorry, I know the kids in this section of the forum are going to get their panties in a bunch over what I'm going to say but the only reason kids 20 and under are scooping up these kicks are because of hype, they want to be part of the crowd... nothing more.  So @*%* your made up nostalgia stories about this and that.  It's all hype, 'cause you have no real connection to watching MJ play in his prime.

If you are 22 and below, you were born when Jordan made his first title run against the Lakers so there is no way you remember that or the first three peat.  You were 3 years old when Jordan held that trophy tight after Paxson hit that three to beat the Suns and that years MVP....Charles Barkley.  You were 3 when MJ said he was giving up basketball to pursue baseball.  I remember crying when he retired the first time, and almost beat my cousins %%+ when he sold the 91' Upper Deck Card of MJ swinging a bat.  You were 5 when MJ said "I'm Back" and returned with the "45" on his back.  Finally, you were 8 when Jordan sank that shot against the Jazz and called it quits once again.

I have a lot of respect for people who collect sneakers, fondly remember the days the second round of retro's started dropping in '99.  Standing in line was simply showing up to a shoe spot 20-30 minutes early.  Chilling in the car, see the manager show up so everyone would get in line 10-15 minutes before the store opened.  Shoot the $%## (it was usually the same group of people 
smokin.gif
), talk about MJ and the next release.  Buy 1 or 2 pairs, get some breakfast and call it a day.

30t6p3b.gif
.  ALL HYPE!!!

This is the truth right here... I get into it with my younger cousins and newphews all time about this shoes.

Co-sign, said it all right there. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 23SOLE

Anyone 30 & older who's been into shoes since mid to late 80's are true originators to this whole sneaker phenomenon. We started buying stocks of shoes we simply just loved. We witnessed it all experienced it all. Some youngbucks will never understand. It wasn't just Jordans btw some of us rocked Troop, Ellesse, British Knights, Lotto to name a few.

wth, ur bringn back memories!!!  remember they had the map on them?  u could see ford city.

Back
Top Bottom