So how did you find out you had diabetes?

the nomad

Banned
I am The Nomad, I'm sitting is this hospital bed wondering what could I have done differently. I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

A week ago, I started urinating frequently. 20 times a day, 15 a night. I knew something was wrong. I was extremely thirsty, drank almost 3 gallons of water a day.
This morning I went to the hospital because I wasnt feeling well. I knew I had all the symptoms of diabetes so I wasnt suprised. How ever it has affected my heart and I'm hooked up to machines and doctors are acting nervous when they look at my charts.

So I'm gonna be here til Monday, good thing I have Shotime Go on my phone so I can catch Dexter.

I jog 3-4 miles daily and weight routine.
Safe to say it's your diet then? Hope you get well fam, best of luck!

Diabetes is no joke, my dad's side is prone to it - I need to start being more careful.

Last edited:
I'm vegan, but my family has history of diabetes.
Doctor said the diet contributed to it, vegan diets are high carb diets. Carbs was the culprit in this case.

dammit man, after giving up flesh, the only satisfaction i get from food is through carbs. after seeing this, i might have to cut back. before you anger me, i'm going to just exit this thread and try to forget what i've read.

get well soon op. '03 out.

Sorry to hear brotha. Stay up Man!  

I hope all goes well for you on monday

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're young.

Are you overweight? Type 2 diabetes would be unusual in someone who is young and isn't overweight. You can be predisposed to it but it's not as hereditary (and out of the blue) as type 1.

I'm almost thirty years of age, I'm not that young.

Symptoms?

frequent urination
dry mouth
extremely thirsty
tired
irritable
restlessness
cravings of sweets and large amounts of foods

That's still young for type 2 diabetes though.

not surprising actually...at least from what I read, and learned recently; 30 yrs of age and over is the typical time period for the onset of type 2 diabetes.

Last edited:
I don't but my brother was diagnosed with basically type 1.5 when he was 13, it wasn't 1 but it was full blown 2, he's 25 now and it's gone to full blown type 2.

Is your diet high in fat and oils? I don't believe carbs are the culprit, it's fat.

From what I understand, fats clog up the bloodstream and coat each cell which then can't absorb sugar thus leaving it in the bloodsteam and causing a spike short-term and type II diabetes in the long-term. Usually carbs are associated with type II diabetes but I don't see people eating too much fruit or rice to give them diabetes. Usually starchy carbs are accompanied with oils (fried rice is more of a fatty food than carby). Chipotle's rice is coated in a lot of oil. Grains are bland so they need all the seasoning and oil they can, especially if you're eating at a restaurant. When my mom makes spanish rice, she pours a lot of oil in the pan. Track your diet and see how much fat you're really consuming, I was surprised.

I would try to a low-fat vegan diet and see if it helps. Read The China Study: Chapter 7: http://www.drugswell.com/winow/+winowChinaStudy/Study_of_Nutrition_Ever_Conducted.htm

Last edited:
Doc FORCED ME to eat meat, he said my body was looking to replace what it was missing by using the carbs. Over a lengthy period of time your pancreas gets burned out... sort of like NOS in a car engine.

I know, its sucks. Any diabetes after adolesence is type 2, I'm being told.

Yeah, generally - it's unusual for type 1 diabetes (basically failure of your pancreas to produce insulin) to be in an adult - although does happen sometimes. But type 2 is still unusual in someone who isn't old. I've read about cases where it was found in obese kids though - because if you're young it's generally down to a crap diet.

The positive of that though is that with hard work and effort the effects can be reversed. I've got a client who did that - in his 50s, sedentary lifestyle etc. Lost about 50lbs and really turned his lifestyle around - hugely improved his short term wellbeing but especially his long term health.

I have a friend that was diagnosed and on meds. In about a year he lost over 100 lbs, changed his diet drastically, was pulled off meds and on his recent checkup his Dr. told him he may never have to see him again. Dude beat the **** completely.

Last edited:
That's kinda of inspiring @ Mark Antony and kdawg.

Hope you make it thru this situation Nomad

That's still young for type 2 diabetes though.

not surprising actually...at least from what I read, and learned recently; 30 yrs of age and over is the typical time period for the onset of type 2 diabetes.

Not quite correct - it's over 30 - but 30 isn't typical - just really unusual at less than 30. Most people are diagnosed older as they have a lifetime of bad choices pushing them over the edge.

Not quite correct - it's over 30 - but 30 isn't typical - just really unusual at less than 30. Most people are diagnosed older as they have a lifetime of bad choices pushing them over the edge.

i guess that medical study i read was wrong...if i could find it, i would post it

Back
Top Bottom