So I finally gave Lupe a chance...

If Lupe is really going over your head like that, then I dunno.

I think people "let" Lupe go over their head just because they are thinking "I don't know what he's talking about, he's just sayingrandom lyrics" instead of visualizing his words.

Alot of people associate Lupe with whatever they feel isn't "hood" e.g. skateboarding, pants and shirts that fit, good grammar, not caring aboutbeing "cool", etc. , which is funny because he's from the Westside of Chicago which is pretty damn hood.

At least he's giving these kids out here an alternative to Shawty Lo-esque, "I sell crack, bang %!@!, make money, and kill people, all while onlydoing this to other Blacks for personal gain" music.

If Lupe is really going over your head like that, then I dunno.
I think dude is OK, but why does it always have to be about "going over your head"??? I get it, I'm just not amazed by it..........Like I said, dude needs to put together a cohesive album, then he will get his due from me.

His last album was one of the better ones of the year, def a breathe of fresh air with all this garbage hip hop on the radio.

Originally Posted by FYALADY

You right.

He's over-rated.

Gotta admit that Wayne > Lupe.
indifferent.gif
, I can't understand a word Wayne says half the time
Over-rated, Lupe barely got exposure for this album needless to say Food & Liquor even got less.

i was in the same boat when i first heard 'kick, push' on the radio...i pretty much wrote him off. then i was listening to 'pressure' in myboys car and i was like
eek.gif
. had to listen to that song a few more times andcopped food & liquor immediately (almost a year after it released). i do alot of driving for my work and lupe's albums are the only ones now i canlisten to all the way thru.

I can respect that. You tried and didn't like it. No harm in that.

What I hate is people who just refuse to give it a try, and spew out ignorance about it.

True that.

At least dude gave it a try. Not everyone is going to like everything.

Originally Posted by goldNboi7

Honest 2 Aikman I tried 2 like it...but I really cant rock with him...I gave his album and some otha assorted works some spins just off the recommendations that dudes be givin. I remember listenin 2 "Dumb it Down" back in the day, wondered what the $(&% he was talkin bout, stopped listening at the word "unicorn", and said I was gon ignore dude's works...but recently with the amount of riding he gets on here, I decided deadin an artist after one song wasnt a fair shot, so I d/l'ed like 30 of his songs and listened 2 em all in one day...and wasn't feelin it.

I don't get it...is there sumthin I'm missin? I mean I know he different and all, he aint on the whole "work, broads, scrilla and gunplay" tip, but do that automatically make him good? *Substitutions* be actin like he the 2nd lyrical coming of Nas or some $#!+, but 2 me he sounds like Weezy with a college degree and a NT account with the way he flow...plus his voice/delivery put me 2 sleep...I just dont understand... Did I listen wrong or sumthin?

laugh.gif

My homie's always playin Lupe and i can't get into it either. I find his flows and delivery boring.

I hated Lupe before. And one day I was on an airplane for 4 hours and I was having trouble going to sleep. So I figured I'd throw on some Lupe (Touch theSky Mixtape) and give him another chance. And while I was listening I gave it 2 spins and by the 2nd spin I was hooked. And then I heard the advanced copy ofFood and Liquor and completely became a full Lupe fan. Now it's almost weird/blasphemous when I hear that someone actually doesn't like his music. BUTI get what your saying man I almost feel the same way about Jay, Nas, and Wu
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Elocin023

Originally Posted by its Labrev

You right.

He's over-rated.

Ah no wonder, you're a girl.

How rude!
frown.gif

That was blasphemy though because there is no way Wayne is better than Lupe.

laugh.gif
. I'm just call them how I seem em'. There's not one girl in my area who doesn't think Lil Wayne is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Well those girls are wack but don't make that a generalization. But then again maybe I am one of the few exceptions.
tongue.gif

True, well I apologize if you've been offended.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

His last album was one of the better ones of the year, def a breathe of fresh air with all this garbage hip hop on the radio.
agreed, cept i dont listen to the radio period.

I agree with the thread starter.

I saw him for free @ USC in April and experienced him first hand. I can't front, seeing him do kick push, go go gadget flow, and his verse from touchthe sky was pretty dope but it didn't make me want to go out and buy his stuff. Then again he went on after De La Soul which is a hard act to follow, atleast in my mind. De la is top 5 GOAT.

I mean Lupe is cool and all, just not my cup of tea, I guess. He has a few songs I can dig but that's about it. People who went with me definitelyweren't feeling him, talking about "why does this cat have shades on?, and why's he riding a skateboard?"
laugh.gif

That said, Lupe falls into the same category as Kanye and Lil Wayne and at the end of the day I'm not too interested in what they are doing regardless oftalent or NT d'riding.

Once you start to decipher/decode/comprehend/understand his metaphors, you'll start to appreciate his skills and intellect a lot more. It's just kindahard to get into his music when you first listen to him because most people aren't accustomed to lyrics of that magnitude. In other words, he's inanother level compared to everyone else.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by doyung9

^ I feel you.

To me, sometimes I feel like he's trying to be TOO LYRICAL or TOO DIFFERENT (puts on flame suit)

just because you don't understand what a guy is rapping about doesn't make him some kind of prophet.

Word...I feel like he just tries too hard. It's like...yeah...you don't rap about guns, drugs, money, orwomen...you're smart...we get it.

His songs just put me to sleep sometimes...

As far as conscious rappers go, I'll take Mos & Talib over him any day of the week.

You right.

He's over-rated.

I hope you don't think that all females think like this. First, I'm from New Orleans and for the most part I think Lil' Wayne can be a ramblingidiot sometimes. I was a big fan of his Lights Out album and I still like some of his music but I def don't think he's the best. He's the hottestright now but def not the best. I loved Lupe the first time I heard him. Got to see him in concert a couple of weeks ago at the House of Blues here in N.O.and I thought his show was DOPE. He had so much energy during his show and the live band made it 100x better. Anyway, I can understand some people not likingLupe because they can't vibe or relate to his music. It's whatever. The same way I can't vibe with people like Shawty Lo because I can't relateto what he is talking about. I think people recognize his talent but they aren't necessarily checking for him because his music is not what they can relateto. Lupe for the FTW IMO.
I can also see how some people think Lupe fans are elitist and for the most part alot of them are. However, there are alot ofpeople who refuse to listen to him because he is different. I don't know about you guys but I get tired of listening to the same stuff and topics, I gettired of hearing rappers rant about how fresh and paid they are, how they run the streets, etc. Sometimes I wanna hear something different but I can alsounderstand that some people don't want to hear something different. Lupe isn't for everyone but hell no artist is. There are always going to be fanswho will automatically think oh, he's wack because he doesn't rap about this or he raps like this, etc. Listen to what you wanna listen to and stopjudging other people's taste. It is what it is.
I do understand

I just don't feel him at all.. but I do appreciate his raw spitting talents and versatility..

I'm quite literally, really simplifying it but whenever I listen to him.. it's like listening to someone repeatedly saying "Look at me! I'm sosmart!"..
Maybe I just don't believe that he's as "enlightened" as his fans seem to suggest..

i had to give lupe a chance after i heard "gotta eat" i mean who else could pull off a song from the perspective of a damn burger?

blah!

Originally Posted by Unphased4

My homie's always playin Lupe and i can't get into it either. I find his flows and delivery boring.

eek.gif

thats usually the one thing people like about him... my boys say his flow issick... they just dont wanna hear what the hell he talkin bout
laugh.gif

You right.

He's over-rated.

How rude!
frown.gif

That was blasphemy though because there is no way Wayne is better than Lupe.

laugh.gif
. I'm just call them how I seem em'. There's not one girl in my area who doesn't think Lil Wayne is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Well those girls are wack but don't make that a generalization. But then again maybe I am one of the few exceptions.
tongue.gif

True, well I apologize if you've been offended.
wink.gif
Thank you but I wasn't, I was just saying.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom