SO I GOT BANNED FOR NOT TIPPING LOL

Havent read this whole thread so not sure if this was ever discussed. Curious what the non-tippers do in the event they go out to dinner with enough people that the restaurant automatically includes a 15% tip on top of the bill. Do you all protest it? Refuse to pay it? Cause a scene?

The price of the food is the price of the food.

Interesting. Now that the tip/difference has been fixed into the price of food, it doesn't matter?

Yes. Because now the only decision that needs to be made by a potential customer is whether or not they're willing to fade the price of the meal.

Not the fact that they can comfortably pay the bill but now have some ******** "moral" decision to make after that as well.

I'm all for this model.

Last edited:
I see it now. Well I'll just ignore you in earnest the next time you call me cheap :lol:
If this is the case then the real problem is corrupt businesses.

Seems to me you were somehow okay with previous affordable food, server working for below min wage, and tipping but now it's pricey food, no tip, and still server working for below min wage it's bad. The first situation was still ****** up.

Guess customers like you would have to boycott with the servers so that they could get a union or at least paid appropriately.

To me if that's how it is that establishment is corrupt and doesn't value it's employees.

You somehow think 15$ an hour is somewhat considered a live able wage in NY, specially for someone with kids....I make 35$ an hour and I live good because I'm in a one bedroom apt and no kids yet :lol: bortomline they will still struggle and now our 15$ chicken salad is 25$ and our 8$ beer is 12$ :lol:

Ain't nobody got time to protest fam, we gonna just have to use more lube when we eat out or stay our *** home and cook.
It's not but it's better than what they had before right?

Struggling on $15 is better than before right?

Besides I strongly recall in these tipping threads said by a server that a servers job is not a career. It's meant to be temporary not a career you plan a family around. Let this be continued motivation for them.
Havent read this whole thread so not sure if this was ever discussed. Curious what the non-tippers do in the event they go out to dinner with enough people that the restaurant automatically includes a 15% tip on top of the bill. Do you all protest it? Refuse to pay it? Cause a scene?
Subtract 15% from what you would've paid and leave.
View media item 1852374
Zik is a Descarado.
View media item 1922180

View media item 1932046

View media item 1981635

Last edited:
lets be real, a classy sit down place in NY that costs at least 25 dollars for a meal is not going to be paying servers minimum wage after this change, they will be getting a lot more 

:rofl:

lets be real, a classy sit down place in NY that costs at least 25 dollars for a meal is not going to be paying servers minimum wage after this change, they will be getting a lot more 

Yup
Far from min wage after revenue sharing.

At Huertas, servers now make $9, the non-tipped minimum wage, and with revenue-sharing, bring home what they used to, roughly $25 to $30 an hour, Miller said.

While Huertas employees' revenue share amounts to 13% to 14% of sales, customers have seen a 22% price bump.

"There's a lot more costs incurred by the restaurant because the wages that we are paying are higher," said Miller, citing sick pay and other benefits. Dishwashers and prep cooks do not get a revenue share.

The new price and wage system was designed to be revenue-neutral for the restaurant, with servers also taking home their usual pay.

The cost to guests, at least those tend to who would otherwise tip 22%, is the same as it was under the old system.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/articl...pping-restaurants-blame-cuomo-not-danny-meyer

i knew a waiter at a fine dining spot in waikiki that made well in excess of 100k/ year. his wife was a teacher and they had 2 kids and they lived in a nice house in a fancy neighborhood. he made that money because people customarily tip 15%+ he told me that he didn't work anywhere near as hard as someone at cheesecake factory, he just had to kissass the rich people with compliments and make small talk.

that right there leads me to question why we tip a percentage rather than a flat rate.

i knew a waiter at a fine dining spot in waikiki that made well in excess of 100k/ year. his wife was a teacher and they had 2 kids and they lived in a nice house in a fancy neighborhood. he made that money because people customarily tip 15%+ he told me that he didn't work anywhere near as hard as someone at cheesecake factory, he just had to kissass the rich people with compliments and make small talk.

that right there leads me to question why we tip a percentage rather than a flat rate.

Waitstaff/Delivery jobs that rely on tips are primarily ****. U deal with ********. If u have disposable income, just tip. U make those peoples day. THE END.

Depends on the spot. That's very far from the norm though. The percentage is odd to me as well since the cooks can't legally see any of that tip.
I'm sure they're waiters at michelin star restaurants that make bank. I'll only speak on what I know though..
Waiters at Peter Lugers are making 6 figures. This is arguably NY's best steakhouse(I disagree). Couple of em have even gone and opened their own restaurants. Wolfgang Puck being one of em.

Last edited:
yeah, it was at a steakhouse in waikiki that used to be real old school. you had to wear a jacket back in the day but they needed to adjust the dress code to cater to japanese tourists. waiters tipped out everyone, even the cashiers, but still took home big money.

conversely, i have a co-worker that works part-time at cheesecak factory. i watch him work hard when i eat there and while he makes pretty good money, nobody there is bringing home 6 figures and they have to bustass. he's a great waiter too, the kind you want to tip well.

Last edited:

Depends on the spot. That's very far from the norm though. The percentage is odd to me as well since the cooks can't legally see any of that tip.
I'm sure they're are waiters at michelin star restaurants that make bank. I'll only speak on what I know though..
Waiters at Peter Lugers are making 6 figures. This is arguably NY's best steakhouse(I disagree). Couple of em have even gone and opened their own restaurants. Wolfgang Puck being one of em.
also gotta keep in mind that these guys are the best in the business. These places are not hiring your busy college student that needs some pocket money. 

http://www.people.com/article/jim-carrey-leaves-waitress-huge-tip

jim carrey 
pimp.gif

Now how is that not being a showoff? :lol:

That's just a rich comedic icon splurging.

Jim Carey is big on charity and being generous. Not like his friends or anyone for that matter doesn't know he has money. Sounds like he had a good time, possibly tipsy and felt like being generous. He's in his 50's and has been making bank forever. I doubt he cares about being a show off in his 50's. I'm sure it's not the first time doing this. :lol:

Last edited:
jim carey is one of the most outspoken antivaxxers in the world. anything good he does is nullified by all the kids he kills each year.

$25 for a meal at a sit down resturant is nothing in the city :lol: I think you mean the fancy Top zagat/ michelin star rated resturants where a meal is a pay check.

So what point are you trying to make?

Either yourself selfish and tip or you're selfish and don't tip?

Lmaooooooo these dudes out here running in circles all over 5$ man....I'm about to PayPal every non-tipper broke boy 5$ so that they can hopefully afford to pay it forward

Did I miss out on this? You got Venmo? Not trying to get hit with the PayPal fees :nerd:

I feel bad for takeout. They get robbed a lot and winters in NYC are brutal. Most of the time there fresh off the boat just trying to make a honest living. Much rather give them money over people begging. They should def be tipped. They're bringing your lazy *** food a lot farther than a waiter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom