So I want to start playing piano.. Thoughts??

One of the things on my 2012 bucket list was to be a fluent piano player.  Based on my living situation, I don't have room for a baby grand but would like a nice keyboard.  What advice do you have for me as far as wanting to play?  Any advice on keyboards?  Thanks! 

If you don't have any previous experience with a musical instrument, it will be extremely difficult. Totally doable tho

Get a 66-key keyboard. There's a nice 76-key casio out there for cheap. Check out the pawn shop or thrift store first.

51aB3pPbntL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Find a reputable instructor. Starting at your local college may be a good idea since a lot of the graduate students teach on the side. A cheaper alternative may be to call up your local music store for local instructors.

Do not be discouraged and take it slow. It will not come overnight. You are learning something totally foreign to you. And you are doing mutiple skills at once - fingering, reading the music, playing what's on the page, and playing with feeling. It takes time and repetition.

Practice at least 15 minutes a day and you are well on your way to becoming an artist.

I started earlier this year and it's so worth it. Everyone should learn to play an instrument in their lifetime. It's never too late. Ever.

practice. i always had excuses for why i couldn't practice (school, no time, tired). i must've been my piano teacher's worst student. 15-30 minutes a day wont kill you.

yamaha and casio are trusted names.

Anagrams helped me when I was trying to learn Piano. Try thinking up some that will help you remember which keys are where.

Also, if you want to be a good pianist, its more important for you to learn what the individual notes sound like than for you to know how to play the latest song on the radio. Become solid in your musical theory before you try to tackle complex songs.

Most important of all, practice regularly. 30 minutes every day is a lot better than 3 hours every Sunday. Even if it's just repetition of your scales, it will help you tremendously.

Good luck. Learning how to play a musical instrument is a very frustrating, yet rewarding task.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by greatone632

One of the things on my 2012 bucket list was to be a fluent piano player.  Based on my living situation, I don't have room for a baby grand but would like a nice keyboard.  What advice do you have for me as far as wanting to play?  Any advice on keyboards?  Thanks! 

don't expect to play a piece of music flawlessly after a year of playing.  NO ONE will be able to do that, unless you're some sort of musical prodigy.  sight reading takes YEARs to develop.  I started playing at the age of 6, and stopped when I was 20, yet my sight reading is still shaky.  It takes weeks, sometimes months, to master a piece of music.

I suggest you take some lessons (they're pretty expensive, my teacher charged like $55 an hour), and start with some beginner lessons.  There are a lot to learn, including music theory, the dynamics, music history....  don't expect to play an intermediate piece of music in one year, it's a long term investment.  If you like it, you'll enjoy learning for years to come, if you don't have the patience, I guarantee you'll hate it.   Get an electrical keyboard first, then upgrade into an upright a few years down the line if you like playing.  

Originally Posted by Yeah

Anagrams helped me when I was trying to learn Piano. Try thinking up some that will help you remember which keys are where.

Also, if you want to be a good pianist, its more important for you to learn what the individual notes sound like than for you to know how to play the latest song on the radio. Become solid in your musical theory before you try to tackle complex songs.

Most important of all, practice regularly. 30 minutes every day is a lot better than 3 hours every Sunday. Even if it's just repetition of your scales, it will help you tremendously.

Good luck. Learning how to play a musical instrument is a very frustrating, yet rewarding task.
smile.gif

I +++!$+% hated scales, but they help you learn the difference between minor and major chords.

regular practice is the only answer.

how old are you, btw.

i've played piano since i was 7... definitely one of the best decisions i made in life. also, how much are you willing to invest in a keyboard/piano? you might be surprised at how affordable some are. look at local music schools that are getting rid of old stock. or consider a digital piano / clavinova.

I used to play piano a few years ago. Very fun instrument to play, you should be pretty good after a full year of playing

-Get a weighted 88 key, it will strengthen your fingers
-Take lessons
-Use the internet to learn more songs

I got the F&F on keyboards. I have found that splurging on instruments is a fun motivator. Personally, I like the Roland RD series but pricey. I would spend atleast $500 on a keyboard.

^ look into yamaha too. agree about getting a weighted keyboard if you can afford it... it closely simulates the feeling of a real piano.

I actually want to as well so I support you. But I don't have a keyboard and am not that ambitious unfortunately. Good luck...

dude, while I was working out today, a song by the killers played on my iPod (Exitlude) and there was a piano solo which made me think the EXACT same thing.
Few hours later, come on NikeTalk and I see a thread with someone else posting the same thoughts. unreal.

Originally Posted by Yeah

smile.gif

THIS. I have been going pretty hard on playing for almost a year now. I see the improvement but i still have a long way to go. Scales are definitely important to practice. Be patient

I learned in 2004-2006 and quit for no reason. I picked it up again in 2009, its crazy how much learning simple song structure and just watching youtube vids of people doing tutorials can awaken what you learned years ago. Please for those that have learned basic skills etc. use youtube, its a tool that we all need to take advantage of. ....and yes it drops the panties.

Originally Posted by Vinod869

dude, while I was working out today, a song by the killers played on my iPod (Exitlude) and there was a piano solo which made me think the EXACT same thing.
Few hours later, come on NikeTalk and I see a thread with someone else posting the same thoughts. unreal.

We hope you enjoyed your stay, Its good to have you with us even if its just for the day.
Outside the sun is shining seems like heaven aint far away 

Brandon flowers
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

Instant panty dropper. Srs.

Is it really? I used to play the piano and I was pretty good and no one cared at all. I hated it also
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom