So I'd Like to know. Who would crap their Pants if these came out? Honestly.

To say if Bron left Nike and you'd not follow is a personal choice. Some people buy for the Brand.. which means they are not a fan of Bron.. just his products. I get that. Those who would follow Bron to ANY Brand would be considered a fan of Bron...

Hmmm. Rock I think you know better than the statement you just made. Basically you are saying that if aperson decides not to purchase #23's products because he went to a brand other than Nike then they are not fans. I know you say you like create discussionand all, but I'm thinking that your goal can be achieved without purposeful misdirection (with the first picture you posted) and blanket statements likeabove. Also what's with the "the sheep will follow" and "blinded by loyalty" statements that you seem to make when you refer to peopleand their loyalty to Nike?

At this point we all know (because you constantly remind us of these things) you have sat in on numerous marketingmeetings, design teams, seen prototypes we would never ever see, you have inside info, you have things you want to say but you can't, because as in yourwords "people are watching this board", you know all the top people in the corporation, etc, etc. But sometimes you go a little overboard with it mydude. I don't have a problem with you, I'm just saying. Though I will say that it APPEARS that sometimes you do have something against Nike or how theydo things.

My first impression was that they look similar to the Air Griffey Max. Not a bad first effort, but the midsole and and upper are really busy - a design trickused to add visual interest to entry level shoes. The materials and finish look first rate, though.
retrospect-revived-nike-air-griffey-max-2-og-black-emerald-2.jpg
under-armour-3.jpg

At the end of the day it all comes down to brand recognition...

People look at UA as a on and off field training product...I personally have never seen anyone wear UA sneakers casually and personally I don't think evenLebron will be able to bring them to that status...

Originally Posted by RockDeep

Originally Posted by the12the22the32the4

Rock, just curious - one COULD say that by the nature of your posts on the topic it appears you are hoping that Lebron leaves Nike and jumps to UA.

If that is the case, why?

If not, then why do you keep making posts that seem to suggest you would be in favor of that?

Not trying to take you to task (I respect NikeTalk legends
wink.gif
) but with all due respect, it makes you look like you have: 1. a vested interest in that jump occurring, or *gulp* 2. an agenda...
1234.... Good question and a fair one. I knew some would post the UA real quick just so the regular sheep wouldn't pile on and say how much they liked it... But of course.. my point still shows thru to an extent.

People buy shoes for different reasons.

Performance
Brand Loyalty
Sheep.

Everyone who REALLY knows me knows Im Nike all the way. I own NO UA shoes.. Trainers, BBall or otherwise. However.. Save for the Midsole, this design actually does ok. UA needs better logo placement and should really think of making a Shield or crest to throw the UA into.

Do I have a vested interest in seeing Bron go to UA... .Not at all.. no money.. No product.. no job. I have what I have already. its not going to change if he stays at Nike.. goes to UA.. or makes his own brand.

Do I have an agenda? I always have an agenda... and thats to make this damn forum more exciting to have stimulating discussions which dont involve colors and release dates..

I do think Nike's Swoosh goes a very long way on a product like someone mentioned earlier.. but should that be the main reason you buy a product? To me no.. I frankly am scared to ball in much else other than Nike.. cause its who I trust and what I know.. BUT if someone made a performance product that garnered the respect of ballers unlike AND1 and other brands I'd try it out.

To say if Bron left Nike and you'd not follow is a personal choice. Some people buy for the Brand.. which means they are not a fan of Bron.. just his products. I get that. Those who would follow Bron to ANY Brand would be considered a fan of Bron...

Others may try what Bron tries knowing HE is putting his trust into a Brand.. they should probably trust it too.

I myself have seen MANY designs that have never come to light.. and this UPPER competes with many of them, because it breathes and is pretty sleek. I cant speak for that when it comes to the Outsole and Midsole. it needs work.

I could pretty much bet if UA improved their Logo placement and had a design which could stand on its own many woulf flock to it.

Just my opinion. Thats it. I love having one of those.. and 1234 I NEVER mind being taken to task!!!
laugh.gif
Its the fun part of having good discussions in this forum.
Well, obviously some people would buy whatever Lebron wears, and some people would wear anything with a swoosh and nothing else - that's thekind of brand loyalty a company dreams of, or in Lebron's individual case, that's the kind of brand champion you dream of being. I think some took thatcomment of yours a little too extremely, but you're right in your assessment, there are those that follow the athlete and those that follow the brand.Also, the UA shoe is not a bad first effort aesthetically, in my opinion. No idea on performance of course, but it's not a bad "look" to me.

I'll preface this by saying that it is just my interpretation, and it seems that a few others have picked up on this as well, but your choice of terms likesheep, loyalty, etc. DO give the impression that you hold more than a little contempt for the "trend followers"
wink.gif
. That said, it sort of paints thepicture that it's a no win situation for the folks here on NT if and when this potential changing of brands take place - setting up a veritable shoe warbetween those who support Lebron and those who support Nike. It becomes less and less about UA, as they would simply be the other "location" for thetwo sides engaged in battle, as opposed to a true "competitor", and that ultimately hurts UA as a company, and feeds back into my theory that Iproposed in your other thread about the viability (and strong likelihood) of Nike buying UA out. Eliminate a competitor, eliminate the risk.

Also, we know your connections in Nike, Rock
wink.gif
. Like Elder said, we know you chat with people at the company, and deep down we know why you post threads likethis - it's free market research and a free method for them to feel out consumers and where "loyalties" lie; with the endorsers, or with thecompany.

If I were Lebron or his representation and I was reading this thread, I'd be irritated, because clearly Nike can survive without him, but it's becomeclearer that he probably can't thrive without them, at least within the hardcore sneakerhead set, and as the data shows us, his sales numbers traditionallyunderperform with "casual" consumers who might buy one new pair a year. It's this type of thread that should ultimately drive Lebron to pursuemore/increased endorsements with other brands (State Farm, Vitamin Water, etc) because it's clear that his best long term options are outside the sneakerindustry. He's never going to have the perfect storm that MJ did in the sneaker industry; it's not Lebron's fault, it's just a differenteconomy and the game has changed drastically from the situations that allowed MJ to sell more shoes and garner more attention than anyone.

So, we know Nike watches NT. I doubt Lebron watches NT. I'm sure UA watches NT. All of these "discussion" threads are really "feelers"for one group/company or another to gauge where interest for a brand/athlete/shoe may in fact lie.

That's where we're at.

So, in summation, through this whole "Lebron/Nike/UA" ordeal over the past month or so we have at least verified the most pertinent information ofall...

Streets-Is-Watching.jpg

wink.gif

I love when Im called "my dude"

But Ima let everyone live. I got what I needed and that was opinions. I appreciate them all if either you agree or disagree with my own. Im also ok with that..EVEN if you misread or i may have mis communicated my opinions.

BUT if you think UA is using THIS thread or others I have started to spark conversation thats like saying Nike uses Niketalk ALONE to gauge interest in ALL ofthe buying public. not at all...lol You give me too much credit regardless of who I know or what meeting I have sat in or whatever...

I truely get bored sometimes and actually make topics that get responses good bad or indifferent. Obviously THIS ONE struck a nerve and thats good. Why? Causeyou are responding. THATs what I want. Thought Provoking opinions.. not to go to UA and say .> "See.. 5 guys said you should go after Bron DO IT"

I nor anyone else worth their salt in Marketing can use a thread like this for a Focus study.

Come on fellas''' did you not see the intent of my thread? To see who and who would not Like a shoe. It was to TRICK.. go to the Other Brandsforum.. You can t trick someone when photos are taken from one Forum and posted in another..

(by the way thanks Arrf and BP) You dudes went a bit overboard..

Did ya not read what I wrote? I am a Nike guy.. as far as Products and the Products I trust most.. i guess that makes me Sheep.> BUT I'd be willing towear UA, or AND1 if they had a good product trusted by athletes..

ive tried other brands before and gone back to Nike.. I have that option.. Some Athletes dont have that option til their contract is up. Man..Im glad Imallowed to have an opinion though. And I do appreciate all the replies good bad and indifferent.

Its been quite entertaining... but not useful in terms of trying to obtain prudent and vital "Focus Group" info..lol

1234, nice write up. Was a pleasure to read your post. Your ability to remain level-headed isrecognized.

I'd like to expound on my brand loyalty. I love Nike, love affair started back in 1982-1985-%+$ when I would seesneakers with the swoosh and "Air" on them. I was so curious to know what in the world Air had to do with a sneaker. I used to dabble with Adidas andReebok and even Avia's but for the most part Nike. Then after 1992 I went exclusively Nike. I came familiar with their brand, their technologies, theirlines, and their athletes/schools. No other sneaker manufacturer at the time was as tied into all those elements consistently other than Nike. For me to stepaway from Nike another brand would have to become as entwined and interconnected in my life as Nike did...and I just don't see that happening. I thinkabout AAU, Bball tournaments, first time I dunked, etc, etc...all Nike.

WITH THAT BEING SAID, my loyalty does not make me blind or a sheep, because there are some shoes/products with a swoosh onit that I will not buy into...one of those is the Fusion effery that is taking over the streets (so to speak). I hate most fusions and am furious Nike seems toput so much resources into them. They seem to be what people are buying and NOT the Signature shoes Nike is releasing. I guess that's what loyalty is allabout...sticking in there through the bountiful times and also when the 'pickins are slim and some super mega star like Lebron (which I so happen to be afan of) leaving the Swoosh is not going to change that at all.

^Elder, i agree with you on pretty much everything you say....... how old are you btw...

For me, its always nike first; but if they have nothing worth picking up I'll check out other brands. I went over to Finishline the other day, saw nothingworth picking up (basketball-wise) so I instead bought a pair of Adidas Creators (pretty solid shoe IMO). But when it comes down to it, with my purchasing"eye", I'm always looking for a new worthy Nike ball shoe to wear.

rck2sactown..

Its ironic.. I was talkin to some people I do work with and we were talking about generation gaps and how youngins used to say Joe and Slim and Yung back in myday.. and some youngins use the term "my dude"

its just funny...

But again.. I appreciate Elders and 1234's comments and opinions.. and again.. Im dude enough to let ya'll know.. I never want to or intend to evercome off as Mr. Knowit all and know that I am not or close to it. Hell I was a old dude learnin from a 25 year old when I was in the Beav and it helped alot oninsight...

It also helped me see a different side of things... not just as a consumer.. Not just as a Sneaker Head.. but as a business as well....

Sorry If Im not giving in depth responses today, as I am working on "projects" and decks to get out.. My apologies...

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

^Elder, i agree with you on pretty much everything you say....... how old are you btw...

For me, its always nike first; but if they have nothing worth picking up I'll check out other brands. I went over to Finishline the other day, saw nothing worth picking up (basketball-wise) so I instead bought a pair of Adidas Creators (pretty solid shoe IMO). But when it comes down to it, with my purchasing "eye", I'm always looking for a new worthy Nike ball shoe to wear.
I'm 34...on the younger side of 34, not all old-man like. I still like to run around playsports, talk about chicks, big boy toys, etc, etc. I wonder when I'm going to finally "grow-up" and give up kicks and video games, but havingsons gives me an excuse to stay in it longer
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

To Rock: Of course I don't know you so technically I can't say "my dude" to you. That's my way ofsaying though I strongly disagree with how you come across at times, I really don't have a problem with you. Heck dudes that are my REAL dudes I don'tnecessarily agree with them and them with me, and we are all pretty vocal about it. But after a few games of pick-up ball or playing some MAdden or whateverit's forgotten until we start arguing over who is better Kobe or Lebron, then there is always that one "wildcard" dude of yours that always gottabe different and say "no Carmelo better than boffum" (both of them)
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

^^ lolololol

Elder.. and thats exactly my persona as well and how i treat convo on NT... we dont all have to agree in order to get along "my dude" lol

Hell I am good friends with Meth and i dont agree with everything he says or vice versa, but that doesnt mean we dont get along... hell I dont even fault himfor being a Wizards fan!! lol

I'll try to change my persona and comeoffishness in the future, since I may be percieved as a "Richard" at times.. lol Im ok with that though...like you said.. the dudes who know me.. know me. that aint my stelo nor intent...

Words dont always give tone nor feeling. Most times I am actually smiling or giggling when responding or making a post. Its all in good fun to me and not asserious as it may come off. I try and get this reaction from at risk kids to see how they really feel sometimes.. just to get the REAL thoughts...

It seems to work here too!! lol

Dont mind me.

^^ lolololol

Elder.. and thats exactly my persona as well and how i treat convo on NT... we dont all have to agree in order to get along "my dude" lol

Hell I am good friends with Meth and i dont agree with everything he says or vice versa, but that doesnt mean we dont get along... hell I dont even fault him for being a Wizards fan!! lol

I'll try to change my persona and comeoffishness in the future, since I may be percieved as a "Richard" at times.. lol Im ok with that though... like you said.. the dudes who know me.. know me. that aint my stelo nor intent...

Words dont always give tone nor feeling. Most times I am actually smiling or giggling when responding or making a post. Its all in good fun to me and not as serious as it may come off. I try and get this reaction from at risk kids to see how they really feel sometimes.. just to get the REAL thoughts...

It seems to work here too!! lol

Dont mind me.
No doubt Rock...plus us "old" cats have to stick together. I thought I was going tobe rolling with the swoosh this summer as an old intern, but the restructuring of Nike put an end to that...dang so close. I was like we could have some realgood conversations after I was in.

"old"
Damn... I try to avoid the mirror alot lately...

Im up there bruh.... but the Pink Toes in Beaverton like it.. lol

BUT if you think UA is using THIS thread or others I have started to spark conversation thats like saying Nike uses Niketalk ALONE to gauge interest in ALL of the buying public. not at all...lol You give me too much credit regardless of who I know or what meeting I have sat in or whatever...

I truely get bored sometimes and actually make topics that get responses good bad or indifferent. Obviously THIS ONE struck a nerve and thats good. Why? Cause you are responding. THATs what I want. Thought Provoking opinions.. not to go to UA and say .> "See.. 5 guys said you should go after Bron DO IT"

I nor anyone else worth their salt in Marketing can use a thread like this for a Focus study.

Its been quite entertaining... but not useful in terms of trying to obtain prudent and vital "Focus Group" info..lol
Two things:

1. "We give you too much credit" - Rock, we just go off of the image you perpetuate! You promote an image of yourself being an "insider"but then sometimes you pull off of it like in the highlighted text above. You've been a great source of info over the years and no one disputes that andeveryone appreciates it, but don't try to say we build you up to be something you're not - you've built your own reputation, not us.

2. You misinterpreted what I said about Nike/UA reading this thread/board/NT in general. You yourself have said that Nike is aware of NT and looks in from timeto time, and as such as they see the things that are posted here. I, and everyone else, know that they don't come here for a focus group, but it's justlike in high school: regardless of what anyone says, EVERYONE wants to hear the latest rumor/gossip/innuendo and see what everyone else is saying about it. NTis a gold mine for that - not data driven or industry insightful information, but for the rumors, gossip, and chatter of what the passionate fanbase is saying.

I've seen MULTITUDES of message boards that get noticed by a wide variety of companies and while they don't have true "marketing" impact ondecision making, it's abundantly clear that if something creates a buzz on the internet, it's going to come up in a meeting and might lead to furtherexploration if it continues to grow and be popular. That's all it is, not focus group stuff, but I bet you more than once a staff member has came into ameeting and said something like "Hey, I'm just throwing this out there, but the message boards really seem to want "Nike Air" on the back ofthe Jordan retros, have you guys seen that?" Sure, in that case nothing has come of it, but I bet it's gotten a mention, as well as a variety of othertopics. While that's the limited extent of the usefulness of NT, it is still a (small) contribution nonetheless.

Thanks Elder
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom