So is graduating with a low GPA the end of your life?

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

My GPA coming into this semester is 2.0. And this semester isnt looking so hot so yea, Im gunna be $+%!*$ forever. I lowkey feel as though Ive ruined my future now.

Edit: I want to be a therapist. So yea I think Im pretty +@%%$*
1301806680001.png
*Dead*
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

My GPA coming into this semester is 2.0. And this semester isnt looking so hot so yea, Im gunna be $+%!*$ forever. I lowkey feel as though Ive ruined my future now.

Edit: I want to be a therapist. So yea I think Im pretty +@%%$*
1301806680001.png
*Dead*
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Does where you went to school matter too? Would grad school admissions accept a 2.5 GPA from a University of California student than a 3.2 other school? Just wondering.

Does where you went to school matter too? Would grad school admissions accept a 2.5 GPA from a University of California student than a 3.2 other school? Just wondering.

In terms of jobs, very few have asked for GPA in my experience. The only ones will say something in their Required Qualifications like "Must have minimum ___ GPA"

Some grad schools will take into account your last 60 or so hours of study so if you did really bad early on but finished strong with a 3.0 or higher, then that might work out for you.

In terms of jobs, very few have asked for GPA in my experience. The only ones will say something in their Required Qualifications like "Must have minimum ___ GPA"

Some grad schools will take into account your last 60 or so hours of study so if you did really bad early on but finished strong with a 3.0 or higher, then that might work out for you.

Im a sophomore

I have a 2.0 as of now, and thats based on 5 classes at this school (Queens College)
2 Bs, 2 Ds, 1 C
I have a shot at a B- in one class this semester and the other is an Economics class that Im retaking to get rid of one of those Ds and Im doing pretty much the same
30t6p3b.gif

BTW if I get a D in that class again, will that be another D on my transcript?

I transferred there in fall of 09 from York College where I had a 3.0

My personal statement is pretty much my only strong point at this point because I feel I have a great one to back me up and I have people who will back up my story. The last 7 years havent been great for me.

My ultimate goal is to be a psychotherapist and have my own clinic

Im a sophomore

I have a 2.0 as of now, and thats based on 5 classes at this school (Queens College)
2 Bs, 2 Ds, 1 C
I have a shot at a B- in one class this semester and the other is an Economics class that Im retaking to get rid of one of those Ds and Im doing pretty much the same
30t6p3b.gif

BTW if I get a D in that class again, will that be another D on my transcript?

I transferred there in fall of 09 from York College where I had a 3.0

My personal statement is pretty much my only strong point at this point because I feel I have a great one to back me up and I have people who will back up my story. The last 7 years havent been great for me.

My ultimate goal is to be a psychotherapist and have my own clinic

Originally Posted by crcballer55

No, your GPA won't matter to employers unless you mention it on your resume.  They won't have any way of finding that out from your school.  However, your GPA is more importantly an indicator of your work ethic while in school.  If that doesn't improve, you will be screwed in the workforce and will likely be the first one to be fired when there is a downturn.

Exactly. I have yet to find an employer that has asked me about my GPA. Every time they looked over my resume, they first section they focused on was "professional experience". Employers are more worried about whether you can actually do the job as opposed to what you did in school. 

Originally Posted by crcballer55

No, your GPA won't matter to employers unless you mention it on your resume.  They won't have any way of finding that out from your school.  However, your GPA is more importantly an indicator of your work ethic while in school.  If that doesn't improve, you will be screwed in the workforce and will likely be the first one to be fired when there is a downturn.

Exactly. I have yet to find an employer that has asked me about my GPA. Every time they looked over my resume, they first section they focused on was "professional experience". Employers are more worried about whether you can actually do the job as opposed to what you did in school. 

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

I have a low GPA too due to mess ups in chem and math. I'm a bio student so I dont know what I'm going to do

Gain experience working in some type of lab. Whatever your emphasis, check out your departments website and list of faculty. Hit 'em up with emails inquiring that you're willing to do whatever just to get hands on experience working under them.
My GPA ain't too hot but I'm super excited to start volunteering in an ecology lab working under a doctoral student. Probably won't be getting paid but the experience is invaluable, esp since this is going into my last year of school. So I'll be graduating by next Spring with a year of experience under my belt in the field that I want to work in. 

I'm still worried about my GPA but I'm already where I need to be in terms of competition with others in my field of study. Having a GPA that isn't too great in the science related field seems like death but I think we'll all be okay if you know how to network and get your foot into a door.

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

I have a low GPA too due to mess ups in chem and math. I'm a bio student so I dont know what I'm going to do

Gain experience working in some type of lab. Whatever your emphasis, check out your departments website and list of faculty. Hit 'em up with emails inquiring that you're willing to do whatever just to get hands on experience working under them.
My GPA ain't too hot but I'm super excited to start volunteering in an ecology lab working under a doctoral student. Probably won't be getting paid but the experience is invaluable, esp since this is going into my last year of school. So I'll be graduating by next Spring with a year of experience under my belt in the field that I want to work in. 

I'm still worried about my GPA but I'm already where I need to be in terms of competition with others in my field of study. Having a GPA that isn't too great in the science related field seems like death but I think we'll all be okay if you know how to network and get your foot into a door.

It's all about your classes and how you do in your classes that deal with your major. My gpa for my geography courses was around a 3.8, but the side courses I took to balance out my courseload dropped my GPA like woah. ended up with a 2.7 or 2.9 i forget, but all the jobs I've gotten don't care about it. They ask about projects and other things I've done with my coursework. If I apply for a job as a Flood hazard mapping coordinator, they care that I got A's in my mapping and planning courses, not that I got a C in Greek Temple Building.

It's all about your classes and how you do in your classes that deal with your major. My gpa for my geography courses was around a 3.8, but the side courses I took to balance out my courseload dropped my GPA like woah. ended up with a 2.7 or 2.9 i forget, but all the jobs I've gotten don't care about it. They ask about projects and other things I've done with my coursework. If I apply for a job as a Flood hazard mapping coordinator, they care that I got A's in my mapping and planning courses, not that I got a C in Greek Temple Building.

It honestly depends on the field you go into. I am MECH Engineer and all the interviews I went on for my potential first job asked for GPA and transcripts. Luck I have a 3.6! OP just keep working hard man, dont throw in the towel yet.

It honestly depends on the field you go into. I am MECH Engineer and all the interviews I went on for my potential first job asked for GPA and transcripts. Luck I have a 3.6! OP just keep working hard man, dont throw in the towel yet.

Degree holds more weight than the GPA in most jobs. Omit that unless they specifically ask for it.

If it comes down to it, dont even bring up college unless they ask you about it.

I want Job Experience more than I want College Experience when I hire my Agents.

Degree holds more weight than the GPA in most jobs. Omit that unless they specifically ask for it.

If it comes down to it, dont even bring up college unless they ask you about it.

I want Job Experience more than I want College Experience when I hire my Agents.

That's pretty bad. If anything put down your Major's GPA.

If your Major's GPA is still 2.0 etc then you better have a legit reason why ie. working full-time, or taking care of sick family member.

Not all is lost though. During interviews just hope they ask technical questions and you answer them correctly. That demonstrates you at least know the material and your GPA isn't a reflection of your knowledge.

That's pretty bad. If anything put down your Major's GPA.

If your Major's GPA is still 2.0 etc then you better have a legit reason why ie. working full-time, or taking care of sick family member.

Not all is lost though. During interviews just hope they ask technical questions and you answer them correctly. That demonstrates you at least know the material and your GPA isn't a reflection of your knowledge.

FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

I graduated with an okay GPA.  I attained an A average in both my major and minor, but was brought down heavily by gen-ed's and other useless requirement classes that I had no interest in. I mean useless like a history of south america class I had to take to fulfill some sort of requirement.

I graduated in 08 and 100% of the companies I applied for and interviewed with during my job process did not care, nor ask about a GPA. Now, I'm talking my area of work (marketing, PR, communications, promotions, etc), so I'm not sure about the etiquette of other job areas. For reference, jobs I interviewed/applied/got offers from included NBC, Sony BMG, MTV Networks, and other major media companies in NYC & Santa Monica.

Looking back, GPA/Grades meant absolutely zero from an interviewing stand point (again, for me, personally in my area of study back in 2008). It was 100% past experience, my personality and the simple fact that I graduated from a good school that got me where I needed to be.

**Looking back on some of the replies, I also have to agree that the cliche statement 'It's who you know...' stands true. That didn't apply to me, but I've witnessed a lot of undeserving people undermine the system in both the music and TV industries because of who they knew at the time. Doesn't mean they'll be able to keep up/do the work, but getting your foot in the door is the hardest part nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom