So who else is sending their child to a private school? VOL. "I value education."

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I'll weigh all the options when the time comes.

Financially, it's a major commitment....but quality of education is something that you shouldn't compromise. Now, if you live in an area where the public schools (or school in your zone) are strong, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with sending them there.

I did both public and private when growing up, and I did much better in a private setting.
Do you feel that you were better prepared for college and moved at a more accelerated rate?  I totally agree that education should not be compromised at all.  I remember a professor telling me that education is the only thing we are willing to pay for, but not show up for it.  
laugh.gif
Absolutely!  The adjustment from HS (private) to college was easy on both an academic and social level.  You push yourself so hard in high school and when you get to college, your study habits carry over.  There were aspects of college that weren't nearly as rigorous as what it was for me in HS. 

My girl teaches 1st grade in a GREAT school district.  However, she's by herself with about 25-27 kids.  And these are kids of all different abilities (English/non-English speakers, slight autism, emotional/social/behavioral problems, gifted, etc).  Again, she's by herself.  Some kids get the short end of the stick because a lot of her time is devoted to the kids in the class who need the most attention.  She's an amazing teacher, but this is the reality in many pubic schools across the nation (large class sizes).  Not to mention the pressure of teaching towards standardized tests and trying to reach benchmarks w. scores. 

For some of the reasons I listed above is why I'm going to really weigh my options when the time comes to pick between public or private.  Like I said, quality of education is something you can't compromise. 

If Im in the US? HEEELLLLLL NOOOO

When we lived in Africa I went to private schools, but when we moved here, my parents picked the neighborhood we moved into based on what schools me and my bro would be going to. Ive gone to a lot of different schools cuz of moving and I definitely feel that the cost of private school here isnt worth it for what youre getting. If it was only a few thousand a year, I might be able to justify it, but not at the prices Ive heard for the schools down here.

When we came back here from England (where I had gotten into a school for smart kids, and gone for free) I was definitely ahead in math and science, compared to other kids in public schools here, but I was ahead of the private school kids too.

I graduated top 1% in a big !%$ high school because I had taken mad APs, I think I took 3 regular classes ever and Im ahead of pretty much everyone at my college now, and its private. It really comes down to you takin the hardest classes you can and finding a good school district, do that and as a youngin you are MORE than good for college.

When we lived in Africa I went to private schools, but when we moved here, my parents picked the neighborhood we moved into based on what schools me and my bro would be going to. Ive gone to a lot of different schools cuz of moving and I definitely feel that the cost of private school here isnt worth it for what youre getting. If it was only a few thousand a year, I might be able to justify it, but not at the prices Ive heard for the schools down here.

When we came back here from England (where I had gotten into a school for smart kids, and gone for free) I was definitely ahead in math and science, compared to other kids in public schools here, but I was ahead of the private school kids too.

I graduated top 1% in a big !%$ high school because I had taken mad APs, I think I took 3 regular classes ever and Im ahead of pretty much everyone at my college now, and its private. It really comes down to you takin the hardest classes you can and finding a good school district, do that and as a youngin you are MORE than good for college.

Montgomery County schools are all pretty much within the top 1% in the nation and I plan on sending my son to the best school in MC.

Montgomery County schools are all pretty much within the top 1% in the nation and I plan on sending my son to the best school in MC.

Financially, it's a major commitment....but quality of education is something that you shouldn't compromise. Now, if you live in an area where the public schools (or school in your zone) are strong, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with sending them there.

I did both public and private when growing up, and I did much better in a private setting.
Do you feel that you were better prepared for college and moved at a more accelerated rate?  I totally agree that education should not be compromised at all.  I remember a professor telling me that education is the only thing we are willing to pay for, but not show up for it.  
laugh.gif
My neighbor was in the same grade as I was. He went to private school, I went to public school. He's currently lost in regards to what he wants to do, racking up lots of debt at a terrible private college in the same city. On the other hand, I'm well on my way to accomplishing my goals. I'm not saying private schools are bad, but they won't magically make an unmotivated student become motivated. I don't believe that private schools have a higher quality of education, just a different means to accomplish the same goal.
There's something terribly wrong with the school system though. There's a reason  kids hate going to school so much. Too many kids are forced to "learn" too many useless things these days. Private school or public school doesn't matter when both are pushing the idea that all kids need to know everything about everything, even if the knowledge will never help them in their lives. But that's a whole other can of worms though.

laugh.gif
My neighbor was in the same grade as I was. He went to private school, I went to public school. He's currently lost in regards to what he wants to do, racking up lots of debt at a terrible private college in the same city. On the other hand, I'm well on my way to accomplishing my goals. I'm not saying private schools are bad, but they won't magically make an unmotivated student become motivated. I don't believe that private schools have a higher quality of education, just a different means to accomplish the same goal.
There's something terribly wrong with the school system though. There's a reason  kids hate going to school so much. Too many kids are forced to "learn" too many useless things these days. Private school or public school doesn't matter when both are pushing the idea that all kids need to know everything about everything, even if the knowledge will never help them in their lives. But that's a whole other can of worms though.

2liplegit... how u a scholar yet "acting a donkey wit it"
lmao....

you cats kill me.

what does all this education do for a child except give them some sense of entitlement when they may or may not be that smart?

im 2000 I won the Math award from MESA. some of yall know what it is.
they had some private school kids participating and none of them knew that a mile is longer than a kilometer. lol.

2liplegit... how u a scholar yet "acting a donkey wit it"
lmao....

you cats kill me.

what does all this education do for a child except give them some sense of entitlement when they may or may not be that smart?

im 2000 I won the Math award from MESA. some of yall know what it is.
they had some private school kids participating and none of them knew that a mile is longer than a kilometer. lol.

Honestly, I`m thinking about putting my kids in private schools for elementary, then send them to the middle and high school with the best athletic program.... yes this is my dream.

Honestly, I`m thinking about putting my kids in private schools for elementary, then send them to the middle and high school with the best athletic program.... yes this is my dream.

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

i'm debating sending my kids abroad for school
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

i'm debating sending my kids abroad for school
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Think I want to home school my kids. I want to teach them how to think not be indoctrinated.
They'll miss out on the social piece of actually being around other kids in a school setting....the social aspect IMO, is JUST as important as the academics. 

To each his own tho...

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Think I want to home school my kids. I want to teach them how to think not be indoctrinated.
They'll miss out on the social piece of actually being around other kids in a school setting....the social aspect IMO, is JUST as important as the academics. 

To each his own tho...

I want to, but only k5-8th grade. I'm glad I switched to public for HS, otherwise college would have been a huge culture shock. I had class with the same 26 people from 5-8th grade.

I want to, but only k5-8th grade. I'm glad I switched to public for HS, otherwise college would have been a huge culture shock. I had class with the same 26 people from 5-8th grade.

private school education is overrated in my eyes.

i went to private school for middle school between going to public school from kindergarden to 6th grade, and high school as well. it was a small school but it had it's favorites, they had a habit of catering to the students that had been going there a long time and the favoritism there was blatantly obvious. an incident happened where i beat some older kids $#* after he tried bullying me and nothing happened to him yet they tried to expell me but my mom wasn't having that. education wise, a good chunk of those kids were dumb as bricks and even with the small class size, i didn't think the teachers did that great of a job. i got decent grades and all but i remember to this day that the english, math, and science teachers there all couldn't explain the stuff they were teaching that well. this was the complete opposite of high school for me where a good chunk of my teachers helped me alot and i learned alot from them as well.

if you got good parents on your back stressing the importance of taking school seriously, you'll do good whether it be in a private school or public school.

private school education is overrated in my eyes.

i went to private school for middle school between going to public school from kindergarden to 6th grade, and high school as well. it was a small school but it had it's favorites, they had a habit of catering to the students that had been going there a long time and the favoritism there was blatantly obvious. an incident happened where i beat some older kids $#* after he tried bullying me and nothing happened to him yet they tried to expell me but my mom wasn't having that. education wise, a good chunk of those kids were dumb as bricks and even with the small class size, i didn't think the teachers did that great of a job. i got decent grades and all but i remember to this day that the english, math, and science teachers there all couldn't explain the stuff they were teaching that well. this was the complete opposite of high school for me where a good chunk of my teachers helped me alot and i learned alot from them as well.

if you got good parents on your back stressing the importance of taking school seriously, you'll do good whether it be in a private school or public school.

Back
Top Bottom