So Who Has Read "Without Sanctuary"? vol. A Look At The Popularity of Lynching

A while back in my African American Humanities class we took a brief look at the book. The biggest surprise I had when looking though the pictures at how popular these lynchings were. I am not sure about some of you guys but when I originally thought about lynchings I did not think of it as a community event but from looking at most of the pictures there are a mass amount of people supporting these lynchings even young children. Alot of these lynching pictures were distributed throughout the south as post cards and were sent to relatives. According to my Professor certain lynches were big events along the lines of a community.

Pics:

Spoiler [+]
arles_09_WITHOUT-SANCTUARY_01.jpg

Spoiler [+]
white-lynching-party.jpg

Spoiler [+]
RubinLynchingphoto32.jpg

Spoiler [+]
ABPMSC308.jpg

Spoiler [+]
zmij40.jpg

Spoiler [+]
2vv7ukk.jpg

A while back in my African American Humanities class we took a brief look at the book. The biggest surprise I had when looking though the pictures at how popular these lynchings were. I am not sure about some of you guys but when I originally thought about lynchings I did not think of it as a community event but from looking at most of the pictures there are a mass amount of people supporting these lynchings even young children. Alot of these lynching pictures were distributed throughout the south as post cards and were sent to relatives. According to my Professor certain lynches were big events along the lines of a community.

Pics:

Spoiler [+]
arles_09_WITHOUT-SANCTUARY_01.jpg

Spoiler [+]
white-lynching-party.jpg

Spoiler [+]
RubinLynchingphoto32.jpg

Spoiler [+]
ABPMSC308.jpg

Spoiler [+]
zmij40.jpg

Spoiler [+]
2vv7ukk.jpg

yea whole towns would gather with kids and all for a lynching...it was probably like TGIF for them back in the days.

Such a cruel way to ...just be. you feel me?

While we still have a long ways to go worldwide w/ how we treat each other atleast we're not still in this mindframe of just lynching people on color...death penalty though is another thing along w/ mass killings here and there.

yea whole towns would gather with kids and all for a lynching...it was probably like TGIF for them back in the days.

Such a cruel way to ...just be. you feel me?

While we still have a long ways to go worldwide w/ how we treat each other atleast we're not still in this mindframe of just lynching people on color...death penalty though is another thing along w/ mass killings here and there.

They brutalized us. People show all this empathy to the Holocaust while they watched the greatest Act of Genocide mankind has EVER seen, which is the European-African-American slave trade. And people wanna know why violence is at the level it is today.

On another tangent, the black on black has gotta stop. Realistically it won't halt completely but we're getting in the way of our own progress by fighting each other and time is precious.

They brutalized us. People show all this empathy to the Holocaust while they watched the greatest Act of Genocide mankind has EVER seen, which is the European-African-American slave trade. And people wanna know why violence is at the level it is today.

On another tangent, the black on black has gotta stop. Realistically it won't halt completely but we're getting in the way of our own progress by fighting each other and time is precious.

i knew...

in BMore at the Black in Wax museum in the basement they had a wax scene of people getting lynched...it was sickening to see in person...

its been a long time since i've been there so i don't know if its still there

i knew...

in BMore at the Black in Wax museum in the basement they had a wax scene of people getting lynched...it was sickening to see in person...

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

i knew...

It is...it's really small. I remember that place being huge as a kid. #shuglife

and to the person who compared that to the holocaust....stop. They held them in camps JUST to kill them. Slave trade was for profit. They both were terrible acts, but the Jew has been persecuted for 1,000s of years. Since the beginning of time Jews have been conquered and reconquered by EVERYONE.

i knew...

It is...it's really small. I remember that place being huge as a kid. #shuglife

and to the person who compared that to the holocaust....stop. They held them in camps JUST to kill them. Slave trade was for profit. They both were terrible acts, but the Jew has been persecuted for 1,000s of years. Since the beginning of time Jews have been conquered and reconquered by EVERYONE.

It's built into the meaning of a lynching. They aren't exclusively directed toward blacks or hanging. They are a form of "Mob Justice", in order to have "mob justice" you must first have the mob.

That being said, I don't see most of these people that "participated" in lynchings as "bad people" I see them as scared members of a backwards community. It's takes a lot of courage to stand up for what is right (i.e "let's not hang this black dude"), and I don't expect most people to do so.

Before you get all high and mighty, had the community you lived in believed in lynchings you may find your daughters and sons eating watermelon at the twitching feet of some "criminal" while you are in the background pointing....don't believe me? Whens the last time you protested? Had a Sit-in? Formed a Pickett line? Legit stood up for something you believed in, with a stern consequence had you lost?

Sorry just wanted to get this out before someone came in here condemning those people as evil, without thinking first of their own lives. And every public execution could be considered a lynching.

It's built into the meaning of a lynching. They aren't exclusively directed toward blacks or hanging. They are a form of "Mob Justice", in order to have "mob justice" you must first have the mob.

That being said, I don't see most of these people that "participated" in lynchings as "bad people" I see them as scared members of a backwards community. It's takes a lot of courage to stand up for what is right (i.e "let's not hang this black dude"), and I don't expect most people to do so.

Before you get all high and mighty, had the community you lived in believed in lynchings you may find your daughters and sons eating watermelon at the twitching feet of some "criminal" while you are in the background pointing....don't believe me? Whens the last time you protested? Had a Sit-in? Formed a Pickett line? Legit stood up for something you believed in, with a stern consequence had you lost?

Sorry just wanted to get this out before someone came in here condemning those people as evil, without thinking first of their own lives. And every public execution could be considered a lynching.

Originally Posted by bboy1827

Of course "some" members of the community were scared and many white people during this time did try to fight for many of these black people to be saved but the sad reality is that for every few people that were against this there were MANY that were for this. The pictures are just historical pictures but many of these were published as POST CARDS for people to share and show off to others.

Originally Posted by bboy1827

Of course "some" members of the community were scared and many white people during this time did try to fight for many of these black people to be saved but the sad reality is that for every few people that were against this there were MANY that were for this. The pictures are just historical pictures but many of these were published as POST CARDS for people to share and show off to others.

i knew...

Yep i went there on a field trip my junior year of high school
 that place had me shook for days.  the basement
sick.gif

i knew...

Yep i went there on a field trip my junior year of high school
 that place had me shook for days.  the basement
sick.gif

We just got done with lynching in my second African American studies class. Lynching was often an event scheduled at the end of a Saturday picnic. They would actually pass out flyers advertising that they were going to lynch someone and people would bring their whole family, kids and all to see a black boy hanged.
mad.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Up until the summer of 1919 (The Red Summer) lynchings were common throughout the south. The same government that thought we should go into Cuba and the Philippines to "liberate" their people had no problem with the gross injustices being practiced on their own soil. Sound familiar?

AR_elaine_riot.jpg

For those that don't know, the biggest driving fear behind segregation and the lynchings was that white women would end up with black men. True story.

We just got done with lynching in my second African American studies class. Lynching was often an event scheduled at the end of a Saturday picnic. They would actually pass out flyers advertising that they were going to lynch someone and people would bring their whole family, kids and all to see a black boy hanged.
mad.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Up until the summer of 1919 (The Red Summer) lynchings were common throughout the south. The same government that thought we should go into Cuba and the Philippines to "liberate" their people had no problem with the gross injustices being practiced on their own soil. Sound familiar?

AR_elaine_riot.jpg

For those that don't know, the biggest driving fear behind segregation and the lynchings was that white women would end up with black men. True story.

Yeah I dont think modern White people realize how bad Blacks were treated for so long in this country( Like hundreds of years)

People act like total change can be made in basically 40 years.

Yeah I dont think modern White people realize how bad Blacks were treated for so long in this country( Like hundreds of years)

People act like total change can be made in basically 40 years.

I heard it's were the word "picnic" comes from. It would be a weekend past time to pick a n..... and hang him and cut off his privates/

I heard it's were the word "picnic" comes from. It would be a weekend past time to pick a n..... and hang him and cut off his privates/

Originally Posted by Wr

It's were the word "picnic" comes from. It would be a weekend past time to pick a n..... and hang him and cut off his privates/

I think the picinc word origin is a urban legend

Back
Top Bottom