So who is hiring?

Originally Posted by Wraith aka invincible

Originally Posted by steven42lh

Originally Posted by DMan14

I'm tired of emailing my resume and answering to ads online and just wanted to know if retail jobs are still out there. i know they probably laid off workers hired for seasonal, but where has everyone applying at?

ps. college grad. time to swallow that pride and find any work
grin.gif
i really dont want to dress up like a nba ref and sell shoes, will they hire people that are overqualified. should i "dumb down" my resume?

Yup. Make yourself look like barely a high school graduate to the Footlocker Manager. LOL I applied at 2 different locations and when they saw I was in College for a Biochem degree (at that point) they looked at me crazy and said No. I guess they figured I wasn't in it for the long term, and they would be absolutely right.
thing is though who really stays at those kind of jobs for extended amounts of time?
ohwell.gif

my cousin got fired from footlocker because she bought too many shoes with her discount

i remember applying for a sales associate/stock position at macys filling out an online app and was surprised to get a call back. lady asked me where do i seemyself in the next few years. i said a manager or higher position. she was like thanks, we'll get back to you.

btw, do you ever get responses for online apps when applying to retail?

Originally Posted by cbpresent

If you're a kid:

1. Fast food places are always hiring.

2. Wait till late April and try to get a summer job at the mall.

3. Start your own lawn care business.

If you're an adult:

1. Car dealerships are always hiring.

2. Apply for a job in a degree-related field

3. Start your own lawncare business.
You're not the only person ive heard this from. My homeboy said its cuz they fire ppl around this time, so they're lookin for ppl then. Isthis really why?

Winco Foods is hiring in eugene, oregon. Have you ever operated a cart caddy? On the job training if you haven't

Originally Posted by eastpointoutlaw

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

I know the feeling. I'm actually ready to relocate from the Chi to ATL and I've been submitting my resumes to different positions in the A with no responses yet. I'm suppose to start school here in the on the 26th and if I haven't found anything by then I will remain here in the Chi until I finish school in October. It seems like most job boards like Monster, Career Builder, etc are prime targets for sales jobs & scam jobs where do they only want your info.

Man it's hard to get a job up here in Atlanta I just moved back here from montgomery Alabama and I'm not having luck
QFT, im starting to feel like a straight bum. I've been looking but economy is bad especially in Atlanta.
Im just trying to find something to tye me over for like 2 months because im joining the military asap

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

If yall got clean backgrounds, you need to hit up usajobs.gov and apply to everyone you can. Government is not a bad option even though a lot of people over look it.
Applied there already, got the email saying i was met requirements (education, ksa,) and will be contacted for interview. IM STILLWAITING
frown.gif

Did yall hit up your local unemployment offices? I think yall might be able to use their computers for job searches. Here's two more job sites to try

simplyhired.com & indeed.com.

retail aint hiring at the moment.....January is a slow month in retail, and people hardly have hours, most jobs already let go of the seasonal winter peopleand are back to a regular staff...

Originally Posted by RevTommy34

Government jobs and Military contractors are always hiring. Mac B, General Dynamics, Northrop Grunman just to name a few. Go to military.com and wiki government contractors and put your resume on their site. Also look for jobfairs in your area.

^^not at the moment, i sent my resume to mac b like 2 month ago and ive heard nothing back from them,
its the beginning of the year and all these gov companies are redoing the contracts, whichcs means theyre redoing the budgets whichs means theyre not hiring,
another big thing is the chnage of office, so alot of places are waiting for Pres Obama to come into power and put his foot down and see where that goes,
I just got out of the Military, i was a intel analyst for 6 yrs, highly qualified and with a clearence and all, and i cant land anything,
if anyone got any help/ideas/suggestions, let me know.
thanx

i see a couple of jobs on the usajobs.com website...i hear government jobs take a long time to get is it true? im trying to get a job for july (moving tosocal) when do you think i should start applying for these gov't jobs?

Originally Posted by RevTommy34

Government jobs and Military contractors are always hiring. Mac B, General Dynamics, Northrop Grunman just to name a few. Go to military.com and wiki government contractors and put your resume on their site. Also look for jobfairs in your area.
Government Jobs or state jobs in california are not hiring right now. They are laying off people and cutting certain days for workers. Placesthat always hire are newspaper presses, but the hours suck(usually graveyard)

i see a couple of jobs on the usajobs.com website...i hear government jobs take a long time to get is it true? im trying to get a job for july (moving to socal) when do you think i should start applying for these gov't jobs?
It depends on where you are going to live. LA County and Orange County currently have hiring freezes. You can apply for a city job. I wouldsuggest to start applying now. Getting a city/county job is a long process.

Originally Posted by KingClue

please keep this updated

this is a good thread, i looks at usajobs and theres a few, monster is ok, and for all the veterans military.com is ehhh,
like i stated before i hvae a clearence, so im kinda on another boat as some of yall, clearancejobs.com got a few.
I know there is a few ppl out here that are tryna find jobs,

an yes government jobs take a while, and alot of time they ask you for your availability so you could start applying now and tellm when your gonna be in thearea

Back
Top Bottom