So you borrowed $100 from your parents...

Man these responses are killing me.
roll.gif

Anyways, back to studying 

he got 100 from his parents
owes 50 to mom & dad
gave 1 dollar back to each
now owes mom & dad 49 each
has 1 dollar left
49+49 = 98

That still doesn't even work
laugh.gif

You have $3, you give your parents $1 each. You now owe them $49 each, $49x2=$98. In order to pay them back, you need $98 (obviously). $1 of that will come from the $1 you kept, and the other $97 could come from returning the $97 shirt. $97+$1+$1+$1=$100. The flaw is people think you should add the $1 you still have to the $98 you need to pay them back, when really you should subtract it.

Another way to look at it is let's say you had $10 already. Your parents give you $100 for the shirt and you spend $97 and get $3 back, so now you have $13. You give your parents $1 each, so now you owe them $49 each ($98 total) and you have $11. You need $87 more to pay what you owe them. $87+$11 (that you currently have)+$1+$1=100.

How is anyone buying a $97 shirt if they need to borrow money from their parents?

There is 100s of these, where the dollar or whatever it is always gets lost in semantics of how you explained it, or basically just order of operations. Here's some more

Three lawyers rent a hotel room for the night. When they get to the hotel they pay the $30 fee, then go up to their room. Soon the bellhop brings up their bags and gives the lawysers back $5 because the hotel was having a special discount that weekend. So the three lawyers decide to each keep one of the $5 dollars and to give the bellhop a $2 tip. However, when they sat down to tally up their expenses for the weekend the could not explain the following details:

Each one of them had originally paid $10 (towards the initial $30), then each got back $1 which meant that they each paid $9. Then they gave the bellhop a $2 tip. HOWEVER, 3 • $9 + $2 = $29

The lawyers couldn't figure out what happened to the other dollar. After all, the three paid out $30 but could only account for $29.

Can you determine what happened?

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

There is 100s of these, where the dollar or whatever it is always gets lost in semantics of how you explained it, or basically just order of operations. Here's some more

Three lawyers rent a hotel room for the night. When they get to the hotel they pay the $30 fee, then go up to their room. Soon the bellhop brings up their bags and gives the lawysers back $5 because the hotel was having a special discount that weekend. So the three lawyers decide to each keep one of the $5 dollars and to give the bellhop a $2 tip. However, when they sat down to tally up their expenses for the weekend the could not explain the following details:

Each one of them had originally paid $10 (towards the initial $30), then each got back $1 which meant that they each paid $9. Then they gave the bellhop a $2 tip. HOWEVER, 3 • $9 + $2 = $29

The lawyers couldn't figure out what happened to the other dollar. After all, the three paid out $30 but could only account for $29.

I never understood the second part of this riddle. Why are they using $27?
Technically, the charge they paid (after discount) was $25. $25 split three ways is $8.33. They each get $1 which brings the amount to $9.33. $9.33 x 3 is $28. $2 went to the bell hop. This equals the $30 they originally gave to the hotel.

What am I missing?

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

I never understood the second part of this riddle. Why are they using $27?
Technically, the charge they paid (after discount) was $25. $25 split three ways is $8.33. They each get $1 which brings the amount to $9.33. $9.33 x 3 is $28. $2 went to the bell hop. This equals the $30 they originally gave to the hotel.

What am I missing?
that's what I was expecting to read something like, OP blew my mind though
roll.gif

But ok cool.

The $27 comes because they think about paying $10 each but after getting the $5 back and deciding to split the change evenly after the tip the common thought is they each get $1 back, or $1 off the $10 they each spent. It's just a way to catch people not thinking/reading

Back
Top Bottom