Some Jordan Collectors are Hypocrites, at least IMO...

I was 13 when the I's were released, Jordans are part of my past, a very good past. That's why I buy them they bring back great memories.

I don't want to hear anything from anyone under the age of 30 telling me why I shouldn't be into or wearing Jordans, That age demographic should beinto Lebron's, Kobe's, T-Macs, etc. Those are the players you can relate too.

Watching Jordan on ESPN Classic is not the same as what we grew up with.

you make some good points but like another person said, if its ugly its ugly and that wouldnt change my opinion if they were OG's or retros

To each his own,we all collect for different reasonsme personally,i collect because i saw the man play in em,and i remember peeping his feet when i was 8 or 9

P.s.the concords did sell out,how I know?,I missed out on em',and had to settle for the low top I.E.s(grey/white).

seeing jordan play ball in them made me interested in them. and even though i do have some DS pairs, you'll find that my "collection" is mostlyworn and beat from playing ball in them.

as far as shoes go, i buy what i MYSELF like, dont really care too much about colorways as long as it looks good and something i would wear.

I guess it depends on if you are really a "collector" in the truest sense of the definition, where you'retrying to obtain models based on him wearing them when he scored x points, won y championship or hit z shot, or if you're just a fan of his shoes. I buy what I buy because I like it & I think it's hot, plain & simple. I will never have a complete AJcollection because I hate the XV, I don't care for VIII's and I only would cop a IX, XVIII or XIX if it were a ridiculous steal. I watched him play in OG's and it has never had any influence on what I purchase. Hell, my grail is the Indiglo XIV (since it wasthe first Jordan I saved my own $$$ for & purchased) and the colors on it aren't too far from a L'Style, IMO. I don't hate LS shoes, but theyjust tend to go overboard with the concept and put out stuff that's just too "factory variant" for me.

a lot of people do like OGS cuz they seen Mj play in them im only 18 but i sware when i was like 7 or 8 i was watchin the Bulls championship n nobody couldpeel me off the TV n i would wear my jordans when he was playing with them on while i was watching the game but also people like OGS cuz they can wear it withMJ jerseys etc. so yeah like blco02 said thats what got me into jordans in the first place thats like all i wear basically but i cop the retro+ colorways andOG whatever looks good but i prefer the bulls colorway so thats why a lot of people like OGs n so what if people by OGs n stuff whats it matter to u lol i canremember wearing my OG playoff 13s while watchin the playoffs when he had them on i also had OG playoff 12s too i basically hAD 12-16 WHEN i was younger wish istill had them they were like a size 5.5y i wear 8.5 now lol

EMac291
I watched as MJ took the torch from my childhood favorite NBA star Dr. Julius Erving. It took a couple years, but after Doc retired I realized that I waswatching the greatest player to ever touch a basketball.
You don't understand because you're a kid. Best way to put it is that the original Nike Air Jordans are "grown folks" business. When we"old" guys were coming up, Air Jordans were more than just shoes. They were the top of every childs Christmas list, that thing that mom and dadcould't afford to buy you but one time a year. They were something that made you say: "When I grow up, I'm buying myself a pair of those everyyear". The OG Jordans were eons ahead of what any designers for the shoe companies had even brought to the table. No matter how they sold the first timearound, OG colorways will always hold a special place in the first gen's heart.

There's nothing that any kid can tell me that's never seen an NBA Dunk competition with no more than four contestants. Stay in a child's place andenjoy what JB lets you get your hands on from our generation.

Originally Posted by blco02

BECAUSE WE ACTUALLY SAW MJ PLAY IN THE SHOES.

THAT'S WHY WE GOT INTO SNEAKERS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I hate young kids coming in here and telling us older guys what we should like, when they have no idea why we're here in the first place.

I agree with you on the majority of your points, however, I stopped paying attention to Jordan collectors a long time ago.

Supermanblue79 wrote:
EMac291
I watched as MJ took the torch from my childhood favorite NBA star Dr. Julius Erving. It took a couple years, but after Doc retired I realized that I was watching the greatest player to ever touch a basketball.
You don't understand because you're a kid. Best way to put it is that the original Nike Air Jordans are "grown folks" business. When we "old" guys were coming up, Air Jordans were more than just shoes. They were the top of every childs Christmas list, that thing that mom and dad could't afford to buy you but one time a year. They were something that made you say: "When I grow up, I'm buying myself a pair of those every year". The OG Jordans were eons ahead of what any designers for the shoe companies had even brought to the table. No matter how they sold the first time around, OG colorways will always hold a special place in the first gen's heart.

There's nothing that any kid can tell me that's never seen an NBA Dunk competition with no more than four contestants. Stay in a child's place and enjoy what JB lets you get your hands on from our generation.

�Well played!

I, too, have been wearing Js since '85�(fifth grade) and had to bust my butt each year doing yard work,�cleaning gutters, mowing lawns, etc. to get mypair. Back then there were few releases�(other than the Is; usually white/red, black/red, a couple other Bulls-based colorways) and it was a big deal to have apair of Js. No other shoe had the mystique of a pair of Js. Period. If you were one of the lucky ones that had a pair, your friends who did not went nuts overthem. You felt like you had�a personal treasure that was rare and beautiful. I know I did.

For that reason, I love when�OG Bulls�colorways drop because it takes me back to that time in my life and reminds me why I got into Js in the first place; MJ.OG colorways are a link to the amazing moments that occured in MJ's career. I mean, is it possible to think of�this

without thinking about the Is? I know I can't. Every shoe Mike played in brings back myriad memories, some I had not thought of in a while, that are storedin a part of my brain that refuses to let them fade or disappear, keeping them safe and sound so that I might look back upon them one day while the smile of achild unconsciously spreads across my face.

I'm not going to lie and say I don't own any non-Bulls, non-OG colorways; I do. Soemtimes I see a shoe I find attractive in a model I enjoy wearing andI buy it. However, they don't hold the status in my collection that OG colorways do. The only already-released shoes not currently a part of my collectionthat I feel I have to add someday are OG colorways. I'll never go out 2 years after release and seek an LS and pay over retail. However, there will be dayswhen I drop several hundred on some OGs from my childhood.

Just my 2 pennies...
happy.gif

ijapino wrote:
Let me try to clarify things here. The XI's sold poorly....at first. People wern't lining up for these. You could walk into most stores a few months after the release and cop any size you wanted. They simply didn't fly off shelves like some Jordans do today. It took time for people to catch on to these. Once the steam picked up in these you couldn't find them anywhere.

....except in Chicago
smile.gif

same as someone said before, if i dont like the colors i dont buy em. take the aqua 8s for example. i did not like them then, i did not like them (and i didnot buy the retro) now.

I personally find this convo a little silly, but then again I was still compelled to read through the entire post and give my $0.02.

I was 9 years old when Jordan first entered the league and do have fond memories of some of the OG colorways. The OG colorways not only bring back memories ofMJ in his hay day, but they also bring back memories of what I was doing in my life at the time of their original release. For that reason, I am particularlyfond of some of the OG colorways because they bring back good (and some bad) memories from my youth. While the OG's do invoke these memories it doesn'tmean that all I do is purchase retros in OG colorways.

Like what has been stated several times already in this post, I buy/wear what I like. I do not discriminate when it comes to purchasing Jordans. I purchase OGcolorways, retro+, LS, teams, you name it. Heck, the only pair of 8's that I purchased during their recent release was the stealth/orange blaze that mustof you on here hate. As I've already stated the OG's do bring back nostalgia, but just as the OG bring back memories from my youth the LS and retro+stuff of today will bring back good memories to me 10-15 years down the road.

We all have our own personal reasons for why we like a particular shoe. I for one do not believe that anyone's reason is more valid than the other. Whetheryou are old like me or young like the starter of this post, everyone's personal opinion and taste in shoes is valid to me.

So basically what I am trying to say here is that everyone should just be themselves and not worry about why someone else likes or dislikes a particular shoe.Just do you.

I've been wearing / collecting Jordans since the Sky 1's came out. I like OG colors and I like Retro + colors. However, I tend to like OG colors morethan Retro + colors. I'm 25, and have no reason to look like a bag of skittles. I think the whole things with Concords or any OG XI's sales had to beregional. I remember lining up for them with my Mom and them selling out that day. When I went to get the Columbia's, some guy bought every pair of size10's who was in front of me in line. On another note I didn't like the Grapes when they first released, and I still don't like them. I hated theAquas when they first came out, and now it's one of my favorite shoes. To the thread starter, "it's all up to you." Don't let anotherpersons opinion trip you up.

Originally Posted by blco02

BECAUSE WE ACTUALLY SAW MJ PLAY IN THE SHOES.

THAT'S WHY WE GOT INTO SNEAKERS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I hate young kids coming in here and telling us older guys what we should like, when they have no idea why we're here in the first place.

Yep. Actually wearing OG Jordans 15-20 years ago is what makes me like OG colorways. Not because someone posted a picture of the Fresh Prince wearingthem.

There's nothing that any kid can tell me that's never seen an NBA Dunk competition with no more than four contestants. Stay in a child's place and enjoy what JB lets you get your hands on from our generation.
smokin.gif

Kids nowadays need to know their place.

I buy because I saw MJ play in a lot of those shoes. I remember when the Jordan I came out!!! Some of you guys have only seen the picture of the "LastShot". Well I saw the game. That's why I like the OG colorways because I saw the man play in them. I do like some of the Retro+ colorways too.

Man I remember when the OG Fire Reds were on the clearance rack for $29.99 at JC Penney. That's right JC Penney.

I guess you just have to be there to understand.. Its more than just a colorway for most of the people that were around during the Era..its a part of thelegacy.... that when witnessed..was amazing!

this is one topic that is debatable because theres no real proof... ill be dead honest, i prefer OG colors but there are many retro+ colorways i love (nubuckXIIs are my favorite XIIs btw), i agree with what others said though too, MJ played in em and he made the shoes look better, but I HAVE NEVER SEEN A PICTURE OFMJ WEARING MILITARY IV's but theyre hella beautiful to me so i see where you're coming from but i dont fully agree with it...

Back
Top Bottom