Some of these teacher salaries are INSANELY low...

Just came across this article on CNN. Highlighting veteran teachers in Colorado...some 9 years in, ONLY making 50k and working multiple jobs to make ends meet. There's a strike starting tomorrow with the hopes of landing better pay. The system is broken here...

Denver is so expensive that teachers have to get creative to make ends meet

For 14 months, teachers in Denver have been negotiating with Denver Public Schools for more pay. On Saturday, the Denver Classroom Teachers Association said talks had broken off and they'll walk on Monday.
Yes, it's about money, many have told CNN. But it's also about the uncertainty of living paycheck to paycheck. It's about the necessity of taking on a second or third job. It's about the untenability of carrying on this way much longer.
Here are some of their stories:

Rest of Article in Link

Although I think teachers are underpaid for what they do, I wouldn’t call 50k a year insanely low in Colorado. Summers and holidays off. I’d say that’s a decent living wage
They have summers “off” because they need to get another job to balance things out :lol:

da reality is if you're talented and smart enough to earn a heap loads of money in da private sector, why would you settle on being a teacher? thats where your talent pool goes...then you got unions that discourage performance incentives that would bolster pay for teachers that have high marks, etc.

For what teachers go through these days, the pay is NOT enough. Kids are disrespectful and want to be on their phone 24/7, and if the teacher tries to discipline them, the parent takes the child's side. I wouldn't be mad if all teachers went on strike Nationwide. For what they're expected to do, 50k is not enough.

Couldn’t pay me enough to be a teacher, bless you guys that do it and do it well. Y’all definitely deserve to make more. I was happy to see the teachers in LA get most of what they wanted after the strike.

Teachers are like the most important job other than doctors. Caring and instilling knowledge into the next generation of human civilization. They baby sit so you can work and inform and equip for children with tools so they can work in the future.

They should be making LeBron money, but that's just me and my idealism.... Entertainment>>> substance. I know, I know, I get it.

Although I think teachers are underpaid for what they do, I wouldn’t call 50k a year insanely low in Colorado. Summers and holidays off. I’d say that’s a decent living wage

I'd be curious to know if they are 10 or 12 month employees....

I talked to a friend of mine in education and she said she'd happily work 12 mos a year if that meant getting an additional 10-15k on her salary (she's not paid in the summer.)

Also on the summers “off” thing they spend so much in overtime on a daily basis all time is instantly made right back up. “Off” holidays is becoming a thing of the past too becuase the kids are out but they aren’t all the time.

For what teachers go through these days, the pay is NOT enough. Kids are disrespectful and want to be on their phone 24/7, and if the teacher tries to discipline them, the parent takes the child's side. I wouldn't be mad if all teachers went on strike Nationwide. For what they're expected to do, 50k is not enough.
It’s not as bleak as you think. When it comes to respect, it’s really all about exuding confidence and building relationships. You still get those kids who are defiant or just crave attention, but overall it’s not as bad as you think. The phones are definitely an issue but you gotta just police it and make your class interesting. The hardest thing for me is convincing them to read and not troll YouTube all night. It’s a battle I get a decent return on, and it would be better if I had more freedom book wise, but attention spans are tougher to maintain in this generation. You’re sadly right on the discipline thing though. There’s barely any recourse nowadays. Can’t kick kids out of your class, legally have to let kids make up every assignment they miss, parents will blindly defend their kid despite the kid being an *******. I’m very lucky in NYC. Good salary, not great, but I will hit 6 figures in due time. And amazing benefits. My annuity alone makes this job worth it. Add in my pension and healthcare and it’s a pretty sweet gig despite the lower than should be pay.

Also on the summers “off” thing they spend so much in overtime on a daily basis all time is instantly made right back up. “Off” holidays is becoming a thing of the past too becuase the kids are out but they aren’t all the time.

Which "holidays" are you referring to?

Which school district(s) are you referring to?

There isn't a single holiday, in DC, that adults work and students don't.

Now there are professional development days in which adults have to show up to a buillding with no kids, but holidays, not in DC

My major used to be education. Was studying to be a middle school teacher. Dropped out the program and changed my major as soon as I finished my intern shadowing a middle school teacher. I have a lot of respect for teachers.

Back
Top Bottom