Some questions for Volkswagen owners

Hey NT i was interested in buying a Jetta, GTI or Golf.

just wanted some advice, any major issues i should look out for? i know pieces are expensive but a couple of people told me that if you take care of a VW they will last you awhile.

any years i shouldnt look at for any reason?

also likes / hates out of those 3 models?

price point i should be lookin for (used) im look in at 1999s and up....

thanks NT
pimp.gif

just wanted some advice, any major issues i should look out for? i know pieces are expensive but a couple of people told me that if you take care of a VW they will last you awhile.

thanks NT
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by air max 87

thanks NT
pimp.gif

Jetta and Golfs pretty much share the same engine. There's the 2.0, the 1.8 turbo charge, and the VR6.

From what I've heard, 2.0s and VR6s are easier to maintain because they do not have forced induction...although you'll probably be missing out on the turbo fun from the 1.8T (the turbo is small; but very fun once you get a chip).

Most VWs are known for oil sludge, so be prepared to shell out for synthetic oil and get an oil change regularly. I've read that MKIV VWs have bad transmission problems on their 5-speed. There are small nuisances on the VWs as well...you're never going to have a quiet ride. You're going to have to deal with creaks, squeaks, and other sounds that'll annoy you a bit when you first get your VW.

The price range is going to be different depending on which engine you get. Are you planning on getting stick shift or auto?

thanks NT
pimp.gif

Jetta and Golfs pretty much share the same engine. There's the 2.0, the 1.8 turbo charge, and the VR6.

From what I've heard, 2.0s and VR6s are easier to maintain because they do not have forced induction...although you'll probably be missing out on the turbo fun from the 1.8T (the turbo is small; but very fun once you get a chip).

Most VWs are known for oil sludge, so be prepared to shell out for synthetic oil and get an oil change regularly. I've read that MKIV VWs have bad transmission problems on their 5-speed. There are small nuisances on the VWs as well...you're never going to have a quiet ride. You're going to have to deal with creaks, squeaks, and other sounds that'll annoy you a bit when you first get your VW.

The price range is going to be different depending on which engine you get. Are you planning on getting stick shift or auto?

I've had a couple of mkiii's - got a VR6 sitting outside right now with 182k on it - but I know some guys with mkiv's which is what you're looking at.

They really like them and haven't really had any issues - you're right that if you look after them they can last a long time. One guy I know just sold his mk2 with about 250k on it and got a mkiv. He loves it and he's the guy we thought would never get anything newer. The 1.8 Gti is a great engine - basically as much power as the 2.8 in mine - but in a more reliable model. Don't get the 2.0 if they have that in the US - it's just a detuned version with the same styling as the real Gti and way down on power.

He swears that the reason his old one lasted so well is because he changed the oil every 5,000 miles.

The mkv didn't get a good name - just dull compared to the older ones.

Friend of mine just ordered a brand new Gti - which sounds awesome. He gets it next month so I'll be interested to see that.

I've had a couple of mkiii's - got a VR6 sitting outside right now with 182k on it - but I know some guys with mkiv's which is what you're looking at.

They really like them and haven't really had any issues - you're right that if you look after them they can last a long time. One guy I know just sold his mk2 with about 250k on it and got a mkiv. He loves it and he's the guy we thought would never get anything newer. The 1.8 Gti is a great engine - basically as much power as the 2.8 in mine - but in a more reliable model. Don't get the 2.0 if they have that in the US - it's just a detuned version with the same styling as the real Gti and way down on power.

He swears that the reason his old one lasted so well is because he changed the oil every 5,000 miles.

The mkv didn't get a good name - just dull compared to the older ones.

Friend of mine just ordered a brand new Gti - which sounds awesome. He gets it next month so I'll be interested to see that.

i was lookin at auto, searching thru craigslist ive come across 1999-2003s for the $4000 - $6000 price range

GTI 1.8 Auto 2001 with 108,000 miles is one i been lookin at....

whats reasonable in terms of mileage?

i was lookin at auto, searching thru craigslist ive come across 1999-2003s for the $4000 - $6000 price range

GTI 1.8 Auto 2001 with 108,000 miles is one i been lookin at....

whats reasonable in terms of mileage?

100k on something that age is nothing - as long as it has a decent service history.

Like I said, mine actually has 182k (but it's 14 years old and cost me $600!) but it has a full VW service history - just an insane amount of stamps in the book.

I wouldn't want an auto Gti though.

100k on something that age is nothing - as long as it has a decent service history.

Like I said, mine actually has 182k (but it's 14 years old and cost me $600!) but it has a full VW service history - just an insane amount of stamps in the book.

I wouldn't want an auto Gti though.

Originally Posted by retroflashbacks

thanks NT
pimp.gif

A lot of what retro stated is spot-on. I have an '03 Jetta 1.8T that I bought in '04. It's a 5-speed and I've never had any transmission problems. Yes it can get expensive to maintain but as stated if you take care of it and do the regular maintenance you should be fine. Switching to synthetic oil is a good idea as well. I've been using it since my very first oil change. From what I understand maintenance as far as the different engine types is all the same with the exception of letting the turbo cool before you turn the car off. But that's the same with any car that has turbo.

I would stay away from '99-'02 as those years have been known to have the most problems such as water leaking into the interior, sunroofs not working properly, electrical, etc. I've had none of those problems on my Jetta.

Originally Posted by retroflashbacks

thanks NT
pimp.gif

A lot of what retro stated is spot-on. I have an '03 Jetta 1.8T that I bought in '04. It's a 5-speed and I've never had any transmission problems. Yes it can get expensive to maintain but as stated if you take care of it and do the regular maintenance you should be fine. Switching to synthetic oil is a good idea as well. I've been using it since my very first oil change. From what I understand maintenance as far as the different engine types is all the same with the exception of letting the turbo cool before you turn the car off. But that's the same with any car that has turbo.

I would stay away from '99-'02 as those years have been known to have the most problems such as water leaking into the interior, sunroofs not working properly, electrical, etc. I've had none of those problems on my Jetta.

108,000 is really not that bad at all. According to other VW enthusiastics, that's the mileage of "breaking in".

However, the automatic...
ohwell.gif

Honestly, if you're looking for a car to get from point a to point b, i wouldn't worry about the auto. But if you're looking for something fun to drive, the automatic ****** really strips the fun from driving the 1.8T engine. Hell, i went through the trouble of a transmission swap on my old Jetta (went from auto to manual).

As far as VWs being a mechanics worst nightmare...I'd have to disagree fully. If you have some slight knowledge on doing maintenance on cars, the VWs are not THAT different.

AirMax,
at 108,000, the first thing you wanna change is going to the timing belt and water pump.

108,000 is really not that bad at all. According to other VW enthusiastics, that's the mileage of "breaking in".

However, the automatic...
ohwell.gif

Honestly, if you're looking for a car to get from point a to point b, i wouldn't worry about the auto. But if you're looking for something fun to drive, the automatic ****** really strips the fun from driving the 1.8T engine. Hell, i went through the trouble of a transmission swap on my old Jetta (went from auto to manual).

As far as VWs being a mechanics worst nightmare...I'd have to disagree fully. If you have some slight knowledge on doing maintenance on cars, the VWs are not THAT different.

AirMax,
at 108,000, the first thing you wanna change is going to the timing belt and water pump.

thanks for all the help so far guys, yea im not really into the "racing part"
laugh.gif
something to get from A to B, the most ima do is put some tints, a remote start and a system, other than that nothing really.

Yea i think ima ask the guy about the 1.8 GTI, hes askin 4,500 right now for it, and hes provided a car fax and doesnt have any real issues, anything i should ask about the car ? i think i can talk him down to 4000.

thanks for all the help so far guys, yea im not really into the "racing part"
laugh.gif
something to get from A to B, the most ima do is put some tints, a remote start and a system, other than that nothing really.

Yea i think ima ask the guy about the 1.8 GTI, hes askin 4,500 right now for it, and hes provided a car fax and doesnt have any real issues, anything i should ask about the car ? i think i can talk him down to 4000.

Back
Top Bottom