Some questions for Volkswagen owners

nerd.gif
anyone else

I got two...

One is a '00 Jetta VR6 auto and the other is '04 1.8 manual... the engines on these things are extremely reliable. The surrounding parts tho, not so much. On both, headliners have started to fall off, the plastic in the car scratches and peels easily, no skimping on oil changes or you'll have major issues, exterior parts come off easily and I've had some starter/alternator/battery issues. On the '00 I've had a ton of issues, I've had to replace almost all the hoses, the A/C has failed me twice and in florida thats not good enough, the ****** exploded on me once (I still have no idea how, was driving one day and the power just gave out on the wheels, herd gears grinding and just came to a stop) and the hose connecting the gas tank to the engine let loose one day. On the '04, I haven't had any issues other then like previously stated some starter issues.

If your serious about taking care of your car, go for it. If your not the most reliable, you might wanna look at something else.

I got two...

One is a '00 Jetta VR6 auto and the other is '04 1.8 manual... the engines on these things are extremely reliable. The surrounding parts tho, not so much. On both, headliners have started to fall off, the plastic in the car scratches and peels easily, no skimping on oil changes or you'll have major issues, exterior parts come off easily and I've had some starter/alternator/battery issues. On the '00 I've had a ton of issues, I've had to replace almost all the hoses, the A/C has failed me twice and in florida thats not good enough, the ****** exploded on me once (I still have no idea how, was driving one day and the power just gave out on the wheels, herd gears grinding and just came to a stop) and the hose connecting the gas tank to the engine let loose one day. On the '04, I haven't had any issues other then like previously stated some starter issues.

If your serious about taking care of your car, go for it. If your not the most reliable, you might wanna look at something else.

i got an '07 jetta with less approximately 58k on it that i bought for 10k so im not sure why a 2003 would cost 6k. i dont like it too much it accelerates pretty slow especially compared to the golf, the parts are pretty expensive, and it is a pretty complicated car to work on.

i say this because my dad is a former mechanic that learned everything he knows from my grandfather who is still a mechanic. anyway in an effort to save money we did the tune up ourselves and we found changing the parts like the spark plugs, filters, oil, etc to be more complicated that japanese cars or even american cars. also the car being mostly electrical and all meant there were somethings we couldnt change.

for example, the tire pressue light is constantly on even though the tire pressure in the tires is fine. we believe it is because the sensor has to be reset since the last time we changed the tires we couldnt reset it. also because it has daytime running lights the bulbs tend to go out more than usual.

however, i havent really had any problems with a noisy ride or any major engine problems and i would say that as long as it is maintenanced regularly than it is pretty dependable.

i got an '07 jetta with less approximately 58k on it that i bought for 10k so im not sure why a 2003 would cost 6k. i dont like it too much it accelerates pretty slow especially compared to the golf, the parts are pretty expensive, and it is a pretty complicated car to work on.

i say this because my dad is a former mechanic that learned everything he knows from my grandfather who is still a mechanic. anyway in an effort to save money we did the tune up ourselves and we found changing the parts like the spark plugs, filters, oil, etc to be more complicated that japanese cars or even american cars. also the car being mostly electrical and all meant there were somethings we couldnt change.

for example, the tire pressue light is constantly on even though the tire pressure in the tires is fine. we believe it is because the sensor has to be reset since the last time we changed the tires we couldnt reset it. also because it has daytime running lights the bulbs tend to go out more than usual.

however, i havent really had any problems with a noisy ride or any major engine problems and i would say that as long as it is maintenanced regularly than it is pretty dependable.

i'm putting a cup kit in my mk4 gti tonight
pimp.gif

i've only had it a few months but it's given me no trouble.  i have the vr6, i didn't want to mod my engine because i wanted to stay reliable.  just keep up with the oil changes, use pentosin or oem quality synthetic and you should be good.  with regular maintenance i hear they are bulletproof except for the electronics. 

i'm putting a cup kit in my mk4 gti tonight
pimp.gif

i've only had it a few months but it's given me no trouble.  i have the vr6, i didn't want to mod my engine because i wanted to stay reliable.  just keep up with the oil changes, use pentosin or oem quality synthetic and you should be good.  with regular maintenance i hear they are bulletproof except for the electronics. 

I work on Volkswagens and Audi's for a living. I would stay with the GTI's from 2003-2006 with the 1.8T motors and the 2008 and up with the 2.0T TSI motors. Just as long as you do the maintenance regularly you should be good. And just like someone said it is a must to change the water pump and timing belt when it hits 100,000 miles because the water pumps are made of plastic. Stick with manual transmissions. I plan on getting a newer GTI myself btw.

I work on Volkswagens and Audi's for a living. I would stay with the GTI's from 2003-2006 with the 1.8T motors and the 2008 and up with the 2.0T TSI motors. Just as long as you do the maintenance regularly you should be good. And just like someone said it is a must to change the water pump and timing belt when it hits 100,000 miles because the water pumps are made of plastic. Stick with manual transmissions. I plan on getting a newer GTI myself btw.

appreciate all the good advice so far fellas
pimp.gif

my boy owns one and from people ive heard that if you take care of it theyll last you along time

appreciate all the good advice so far fellas
pimp.gif

my boy owns one and from people ive heard that if you take care of it theyll last you along time

i've had a 99 Passat and right now i have an 03 GTI 1.8T..never had one problem with either of these cars
i love my GTI

who's on vwvortex?

i've had a 99 Passat and right now i have an 03 GTI 1.8T..never had one problem with either of these cars
i love my GTI

who's on vwvortex?

MKIII Jetta VR here. Love it and always have...I just don't love it like I used to thanks to the minor issues. Engine-wise though? ZERO problems here.

I'm looking for an '05 GLI right now...got my eyes on a few.

MKIII Jetta VR here. Love it and always have...I just don't love it like I used to thanks to the minor issues. Engine-wise though? ZERO problems here.

I have a 05 GLI that i bought brand new. I'm at 85,000 miles and the only major money I've spent that werent mods was on the timing belt and water pump. It was around $700. I have a chip, front mount intercooler and some other small stuff. I love the car. I always get asked what kind of car I have and when I say a jetta they dont believe me.

They reason people say they are hard to work on is because its so cramped in the engine bay. If you look on vwvortex.com you can pretty much fix anything yourself. I have no experience fixing cars but I've installed everything myself and fixed a few minor problems from looking at DIY on vwvortex.

I have a 05 GLI that i bought brand new. I'm at 85,000 miles and the only major money I've spent that werent mods was on the timing belt and water pump. It was around $700. I have a chip, front mount intercooler and some other small stuff. I love the car. I always get asked what kind of car I have and when I say a jetta they dont believe me.

They reason people say they are hard to work on is because its so cramped in the engine bay. If you look on vwvortex.com you can pretty much fix anything yourself. I have no experience fixing cars but I've installed everything myself and fixed a few minor problems from looking at DIY on vwvortex.

as i stated before i have my eye on a GOLF GTI 1.8T from 2001 with 108K miles

anything i should check for or ask about? any glaring issues?

as i stated before i have my eye on a GOLF GTI 1.8T from 2001 with 108K miles

anything i should check for or ask about? any glaring issues?

Back
Top Bottom