someone PLEASE explain to me how making potential NBA players stay in college is a good thing

The influx of all these young players is hurting the NBA. Fundamentals aren't being mastered at all by these kids. How could it be? They aren't even staying long enough in college to hone specific skills.

To use this military analogy that everyone loves to bring up, the government isn't throwing an 18 year old out against the Taliban (NBA) without some sort of boot camp (NCAA). Yeah, you might have a kid who has unbelievable instincts that may survive without any sort of basic training. But ideally, the longer you go to bootcamp, the better your chances are for long term survival.

Some of these college players have enough talent to GET to the L but not STAY in the L as a productive starter.

I'm all for the 2 year rule. Always have been. I thought the 1 year rule was a stupid compromise at the time.

They dont want to see a black kid become a millionaire in this white mans world! They wanna throw as many obstacles as they can at you!

And nba teams aren't throwing players out without training camps, practices and coaching.. Also have summer league and the dleague at their disposal

And nba teams aren't throwing players out without training camps, practices and coaching.. Also have summer league and the dleague at their disposal

not to mention these kids have been playing the sport their whole life. Not too many kids were raised to be soldiers :lol:

I just think you are doing a disservice to a young kid who has the opportunity to go to the league right from high school. Honestly i don't think lebron could have gotten anything out of playing college ball.

Two words: Business & Image.

NCAA loves it because of the more money they will make because they will have more talent locked in for at least 2 years if the new NBA comissioner gets his way.

NBA from it's stand point does not want kids who aren't mature enough as a person both on and off the court damaging the image of the league.

Basically every NT'er who grew up loving Allen Iverson because of his hood style play on & off the court and the way he dressed basically ruined it for the rest of future players.

That's the main reason why former David Stern enforced a dress code requiring players to dress up and at least wear a coat or suit before entering a NBA arena.

Last edited:
The NBA develops players better than a second year in college, so this whole thing of 1 and dones watering down the league is bs.
Would you agree that the whole thing of 1 and dones is hurting college basketball though?  I personally dont see how anyone could disagree with that.

Why would I pay someone a million dollars to develop on the job when I can pay someone a million dollars who is closer to the development I need him to be at to succeed?

And let's not bring up players like LBJ, Kobe, T-Mac, and KG when I can bring up 3 year college players like MJ or Ray Allen.

The NBA develops players better than a second year in college, so this whole thing of 1 and dones watering down the league is bs.

Would you agree that the whole thing of 1 and dones is hurting college basketball though?  I personally dont see how anyone could disagree with that.
I really don't care about college ball until march madness now so I don't care if hurts college ball.
And isn't the point of college to get people to a better place.

I really don't care about college ball until march madness now so I don't care if hurts college ball.
Well you not caring about college hoops means you are simply ignoring some of the good arguments as to why people believe that players should stay longer. 

Why would I pay someone a million dollars to develop on the job when I can pay someone a million dollars who is closer to the development I need him to be at to succeed?

And let's not bring up players like LBJ, Kobe, T-Mac, and KG when I can bring up 3 year college players like MJ or Ray Allen.

Got'em. There hasn't been any 3 or 4 yr players who failed in the NBA.

Well you not caring about college hoops means you are simply ignoring some of the good arguments as to why people believe that players should stay longer. 

How does staying longer help the best players, the only people that benefit are the people making money and the fans.

The influx of all these young players is hurting the NBA. Fundamentals aren't being mastered at all by these kids. How could it be? They aren't even staying long enough in college to hone specific skills.

To use this military analogy that everyone loves to bring up, the government isn't throwing an 18 year old out against the Taliban (NBA) without some sort of boot camp (NCAA). Yeah, you might have a kid who has unbelievable instincts that may survive without any sort of basic training. But ideally, the longer you go to bootcamp, the better your chances are for long term survival.

Some of these college players have enough talent to GET to the L but not STAY in the L as a productive starter.

I'm all for the 2 year rule. Always have been. I thought the 1 year rule was a stupid compromise at the time.

Spot on.

Another thing that I dont really understand from the "if players are good enough, they shouldn't be told they cant go to the NBA" side of the argument.....

.....will said players be harmed by going to college for a couple years?  Will those players who ARE good enough to skip college all of a sudden have their games regress because they are playing at the college level? 

It's almost as if that is their belief.  Like somehow, Lebron wouldnt be Lebron if he went to Ohio State for a year or 2.

Last edited:
The NCAA needs to change the shot clock from 35 to 24 as well. This will help a lot of these kids in college improve their on-court decision making skills

If there were an option to go straight out of highschool or two years in college it wouldn't bother me.

Last edited:
I like the 2 year rule too.  I don't see any reason why the NBA shouldn't have a right to do it, if they feel it improves the quality of play.

Now, the moralizing about how it's good for the kids or w/e is ridiculous.  But as long as their honest about their reasons, I'm in favor of it.  

It's interesting we haven't seen more kids take the Brandon Jennings route considering it worked out well for him.

Another thing that I dont really understand from the "if players are good enough, they shouldn't be told they cant go to the NBA" side of the argument.....

.....will said players be harmed by going to college for a couple years?  Will those players who ARE good enough to skip college all of a sudden have their games regress because they are playing at the college level? 

It's almost as if that is their belief.  Like somehow, Lebron wouldnt be Lebron if he went to Ohio State for a year or 2.

Lebron wouldn't have earned the nba salary he had that first year or 2.. Plus having to maintain his eligibility, he wouldn't have been able to accept that massive nike contract and any other endorsements deals he had right off the bat

And being that he was entering a profession based primarily on his physical ability, he had the risk of injury for that year or 2.. And given that physical ability does start to wane in our mid to late 30s, that would be a year or 2 removed from time he could be earning wages from said physical ability

Plus, being that a rookie wage scale was implemented in the NBA, he would be a year or two away from receiving his max contract and then receiving his 3rd contract etc.

I think that's the goal really, is to make more kids start going to the DLeague instead of having to play college student for 2 yrs. You'll only make 30k, but you'll be under the umbrella of NBA teams since they all operate the NBDL team, coaches, and players learning real NBA offenses instead of pass around the perimeter for 31 seconds then take a contested 3, and zone defense..

And I think 2 years at college would have negatively effected LeBron, they would have tried to make him into a different player. He'd be 4/5, probably wouldn't have him on the perimeter or handling the ball and creating as much.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty clear by now also that a lot of college coaches don't give a damn about player development.   See: Bill Self.

Last edited:
Imagine lebron would have went college and ****** his **** up like kevin ware? All those millions down the drain. But thats what the white man wants. They want to keep that wealth where its at.

Last edited:
college coaches are in the business of winning. the likelihood of them making a tweener play his optimum NBA position is low.

and the lack of fundamentals argument is bogus to me. al jefferson skipped HS and is one of the most skilled bigs in the league. demarcus cousins has every move on the block as well and yet only one year of school. whether a player develops depends more so on the players skills than the environment they're in. look at the lopez brothers.

the plumlees were both at duke for a long time and neither of them are traditional back to the basket bigs. wouldn't you think one of the all time great coaches would have them be more that high energy lob catchers?

Lebron wouldn't have earned the nba salary he had that first year or 2.. Plus having to maintain his eligibility, he wouldn't have been able to accept that massive nike contract and any other endorsements deals he had right off the bat

And being that he was entering a profession based primarily on his physical ability, he had the risk of injury for that year or 2.. And given that physical ability does start to wane in our mid to late 30s, that would be a year or 2 removed from time he could be earning wages from said physical ability

Plus, being that a rookie wage scale was implemented in the NBA, he would be a year or two away from receiving his max contract and then receiving his 3rd contract etc.
Why not look at it as he would be a year or two later in life with having more money? Instead of money running out at 42, it would run out at 44 years old. Being that you would be older and presumably wiser, you could potentially do more with your money to help you coast easier to social security. *shrug*
Sounds like silly logic, but the whole "mo money, mo money" mentality to fuel all of your life decisions also can be a bit silly at times too.

Answer me this: if Bron (as a high school senior) was barred from entering the NBA, decided to not play ANY basketball for the next 2 years, would he still be a top 3 pick 2 years later? The answer is most likely yes! So this "oh, he would be losing out on soooooo much money" would not be accurate b/c the money would STILL be there two years later. His buzz and fame would only grow which would enable him to command more money from endorsements and such.

The point that dland was trying to make is that the supremely talented guys will only get better with college seasoning. If they got worse, then most likely they were not supremely talented to begin with.

KG, Bron, Amare, Dwight... Supremely talented.
Dorell Wright, Robert Swift, Martell Webster, Jeremy Tyler... Not so much.

Back
Top Bottom