Someone school me on the WNBA....vol. [klj] a gentlemans discussion [/klj]

I must have misunderstood....my apologies. The part that I disagree with is looking at the game of women's hoops as a different sport. Other than theskill/athleticism/speed of the game, what is different? You have 5 people on the court, you are using a round ball, the hoop is 10 feet up, you need some sortof cohesion on the floor for success, etc etc....all of those nuances are the same.

I would say the men play more of an athletic/team game, where the women play only team basketball.

-Question:

-who are the top 3 athletes in the WNBA? What sets them apart from their peers?

GUNNA GET IT:
All jokes aside, IMO, its just not a good watchable product.
Before the feminists jump on me, I say the same thing about the NBDL & ARENA FOOTBALL LEAGUE.
Me personally, I have never contested that kind of statement/sentiment/opinion.

I've tried to get into hockey and soccer... and it's just not for me. But I didn't tune them out just because I heard they were _______, _______,or _______. I watched them myself to see for myself if I liked them or not... and I didn't.

Nothing wrong with that.

I've never said that EVERYONE has to like the WNBA; I've simply tried to encourage people to give the WNBA a fair shot, disliking it because you justfound that it wasn't for you, not because clowning it is the popular thing to do.

Desh,

If you or I was running the wnba in the real world w/o sterns prepetual backing, the wnba would have folded yrs ago.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ Again, comparing a man to a woman and saying 'See, she's not athletic because she's not like him' is flawed.

I don't need to break out 40 times of Shaq, Curry, Traylor, Pig Miller, or even Melo... do I?

So Nate is 5'9" and can dunk; Shawn Bradley was 12'31" and could barely throw it down.
nerd.gif

But your going to need something to base athleticism on right?

Shawn Bradley never wanted to be an NBA player though, wasn't ever his goal in life. Thats just something that fell on his lap. Candice Parker andothers dreamt of playing basketball for a living. Again, I'm not knocking the WNBA in no shape or form. I'm just saying it's no my cup of tea, anda lot of other ppl will agree with me. To my knowledge, the WNBA only sold out a handful of times.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I must have misunderstood....my apologies. The part that I disagree with is looking at the game of women's hoops as a different sport. Other than the skill/athleticism/speed of the game, what is different? You have 5 people on the court, you are using a round ball, the hoop is 10 feet up, you need some sort of cohesion on the floor for success, etc etc....all of those nuances are the same.

I would say the men play more of an athletic/team game, where the women play only team basketball.

-Question:

Currently?? All-Time??

Chamique Holdsclaw was just filthy...she was nice.

Tamika Catchings was also nice

Right now Lauren Jackson is the big dog. Sue Bird is like the Steve Nash of the league.

Alana Beard, Simmeone Augutus, Diana Tarausi to name a few others. And who could forget Becky Hammon
devil.gif

GUNNA GET IT:
Before the feminists jump on me, I say the same thing about the NBDL & ARENA FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

I've tried to get into hockey and soccer...

I think you need to watch hockey live in order to enjoy it. And soccer is the truth, you just need to watch GOOD soccer. World Cup is always fun to watch.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

GUNNA GET IT:

I've tried to get into hockey and soccer...

I think you need to watch hockey live in order to enjoy it. And soccer is the truth, you just need to watch GOOD soccer. World Cup is always fun to watch.

See that's the thing....I NEVER followed or liked soccer...that was until the World Cup 2 years ago. I found myself taking off afternoons from work towatch games on the "pitch." I honestly haven't watched a single minute of soccer anywhere since Italy won. I am sure when the WC goes to S.Africa, I will be right back to watching the games.

I'll give every sport (as far as viewing) at try at least once...I'm looking for something....ANYTHING to help me be a little more knowledgable beforeI try to view a WNBA game this summer....hopefully a game falls on the travel day in MLB after the All-Star game (aka the REAL valentine's day)
laugh.gif

DoubleJs07:
I must have misunderstood....my apologies. The part that I disagree with is looking at the game of women's hoops as a different sport. Other than the skill/athleticism/speed of the game, what is different? You have 5 people on the court, you are using a round ball, the hoop is 10 feet up, you need some sort of cohesion on the floor for success, etc etc....all of those nuances are the same.
True. Aside from the differences in speed/athleticism/skill, what is different? Nothing*.

But with those three differences being as different from each other as they are, I look at the two leagues as two different sports, in a way.

Obviously, not completely different sports; they're still both called 'basketball', but I'm saying, in an abstract way of thinking, I look atthem as two different sports.

*There is one other minor difference: the size of the basketball.
tongue.gif

DoubleJs07:
You're not suggesting the women play with ZERO athleticism, are you?
laugh.gif

I mean, if you are... that's you. My opinion is definitely different, but (obviously), I've been a WNBA fan since day 1.
DoubleJs07:
-Question:

And this is why I say the WNBA is more of a team game.

I'm not saying that Kobe, LeBron, and Paul are the undeniable top 3 athletes in the NBA, but I think most would agree that they are certainly at the top ofthe athletic list. With that being said, whoever the least athletic WNBAers are, Kobe, LeBron, and Paul would run them off the freaking court.

But the most athletic WNBAers vs. the least athletic WNBAers? I think the unathletic women could at least hang in there, because the WNBA game is less aboutathletics.

They're athletic; athleticism exists with in the game, but it doesn't dominate.

But for me:

- Penicheiro
- Taurasi (this might be a homer pick for me, because she's my favorite non-Spark)
- Snow

isnt there a #+%%% that is like 7 foot and cant dunk? im pretty sure there is.

and like gunna said if it wasnt for stern and the NBA having deep pockets WNBA would of been done by now

they give tickets away for WNBA games and since its in the summer they give them to local summer camps and having screaming kids there.

Bigmike23:
isnt there a $%#@# that is like 7 foot and cant dunk? im pretty sure there is.

and like gunna said if it wasnt for stern and the NBA having deep pockets WNBA would of be done by now
'Would of be', huh?
laugh.gif
acidicality:
what's the average attendance for a WNBA game?
I think it's somewhere around 7. Maybe 8.
laugh.gif

ohwell.gif

Seriously, it's not much. According to insidehoops.com, the league average in 2004 was 8,507 (2004 attendance numbers).

And I'd say those numbers are bloated a bit, with the numbers of tickets sold being counted instead of the actual number of bodies in seats.

GUNNA's definitely right; without the NBA's backing, it would have folded by now.

These new WNBA commericals kill me. They have a player bad mouthing herself and her league and then the cut-off scene says something like "she won't say that" but I always say to myself, "but I will."

Most of the stuff said in those commericals is true - "I'll settle for mid-range jumpers."

I know you will ...

yup.
laugh.gif
"but I will." and almost every fan of a quality product.

I don't know what kind of audience they were trying to convince but I had to laugh.

"yeah, and I won't be watching you!" I even replied it out loud to my flatscreen.

Stern will not let the WNBA fold. If they were an independent company, bankruptcy would've gotten them long ago, but with the support of Stern and thebacking of the NBA, the WNBA will be around. Good or bad? Your choice

I've never said that EVERYONE has to like the WNBA; I've simply tried to encourage people to give the WNBA a fair shot, disliking it because you just found that it wasn't for you, not because clowning it is the popular thing to do.

I agree with you Ska on this. Give it a chance. I can't stand when people blast things and completely disregard them without knowing thesubject at hand. Now on a different subject, have you ever been to a live NHL or even good college hockey game? For most, that is where I see them make theturn to loving it. The ultimate "in person" sport, even more than basketball. Hard to appreciate on TV, and even harder when not on HDTV......

i've been
laugh.gif
at those WNBA commercials lately... they were hoping forthe reverse psychology effect, but the execution is horrible

from "You couldn't pay me to watch women's basketball" to"What future does the league have? none that i can see" pretty much everything she said was true
roll.gif
roll.gif

it's a fact that the league has been operating in the red, and will continue to do so this season. they should have said things they could actually provewrong. like "Women are weak", and show a clip of a girl banging in the paint. or "Women don't play hard" and show a clip of someonehustling for a ball or something. these commercials just make the WNBA look worse
laugh.gif

I'm not saying that Kobe, LeBron, and Paul are the undeniable top 3 athletes in the NBA, but I think most would agree that they are certainly at the top of the athletic list. With that being said, whoever the least athletic WNBAers are, Kobe, LeBron, and Paul would run them off the freaking court.

But the most athletic WNBAers vs. the least athletic WNBAers? I think the unathletic women could at least hang in there, because the WNBA game is less about athletics.

But for me:

- Penicheiro
- Taurasi (this might be a homer pick for me, because she's my favorite non-Spark)
- Snow

No Deanna Nolan?

I'll be following the WNBA season so I can see the Sparks make up for that abysmal season last year. I honestly don't mind watching these games.

First off i'm a huge Women's bball fan and two of my best friends played ball at my school. I appreciate the game but I understand the limitations. Atthe school I went to, there were chicks who played just cuz they were tall but were completly useless. The WNBA doesn't have the same thing but the productis clearly inferior. It's like watching JHS ball but sometimes you want to watch kids play. You gotta look at it that way. Hell I never seen a game where agirl has clapped. Let alone dunk(Except on SC)

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

I'm not saying that Kobe, LeBron, and Paul are the undeniable top 3 athletes in the NBA, but I think most would agree that they are certainly at the top of the athletic list. With that being said, whoever the least athletic WNBAers are, Kobe, LeBron, and Paul would run them off the freaking court.

But the most athletic WNBAers vs. the least athletic WNBAers? I think the unathletic women could at least hang in there, because the WNBA game is less about athletics.

But for me:

- Penicheiro
- Snow

No Deanna Nolan?

I'll be following the WNBA season so I can see the Sparks make up for that abysmal season last year. I honestly don't mind watching these games.
Shes the chick (no sexism) on the Shock with all the tattoos?

Shes a baller

My favorite 3:
1. Diana Taurasi
2. Sue Bird
3. Alana Beard

I tried to watch the games but like some other people say its just not good to watch.

Watching the WNBA is like watching the MLS

Originally Posted by dmxfury

I've never said that EVERYONE has to like the WNBA; I've simply tried to encourage people to give the WNBA a fair shot, disliking it because you just found that it wasn't for you, not because clowning it is the popular thing to do.
I agree with you Ska on this. Give it a chance. I can't stand when people blast things and completely disregard them without knowing the subject at hand. Now on a different subject, have you ever been to a live NHL or even good college hockey game? For most, that is where I see them make the turn to loving it. The ultimate "in person" sport, even more than basketball. Hard to appreciate on TV, and even harder when not on HDTV......

Exactly what i said early. Hockey is dope to watch live.

me:

But for me:

- Penicheiro
- Snow
LamarOwnsem:
No Deanna Nolan?

You have no idea how close I was to naming Nolan. The first three that popped in my head were Snow, Penicheiro, and Taurasi, but then I thought'Enh, since Taurasi might be a homer pick for me, I'll throw a 4th out there,' and it was going to be Nolan.

Chick is bad, man. It's funny how similar the two Detroit teams are: the Shock and the Pistons. And it's even more funny how similar the two Detroit2-guards are: Deanna and Rip. They play the exact same way, running relentlessly off of screens and picks, moving without the ball, hitting mid range shotafter midrange shot, mixing some 3-balls and layups in between all their mid-range buckets.

rolla808:
What I have a problem with is the fact that women make it seem as if they are equal to men in abilities and skill which is just not true.
What I have a problem with is that men make it seem as if women are lesser than men in abilities and skill, which is just not true.

If it's a question of equality, then there's a very real possibility that the issue with you is sexism, because it's not a question of women's athletics being inferior or lesser than men's athletics; it's a matter of women's athletics being different.

Take them for what they do, not what you want them to do.

Take them for how they play, not how you want them to play.

Take them as their own athletes, not as comparisons to male athletes.

wink.gif

The whole point of my statement is that women want to be treated as equals yet you want them to have different standards? If anything you are the sexist onebecause you think women's basketball is a totally different sport than what men play that to me is wrong. I am all for women's equality but that alsomeans that women must accept the same responsibilities as men both positive and negative. And should be given the same standards as men too.

Back
Top Bottom