SONGS PRODUCERS SAMPLED VOL.....OG

Michael Parkinson vs. Muhammad Ali

Jay Electronica - Patents of Nobility

This a lil different but I had to post... When I heard Michael Parkinson's Ali interview sampled here, the hairs stood on the back of my neck. Unfortunately, the bits that Jay uses in the track are strung together for an interview that lasted an hour & the whole thing isn't available on the internets... RIP Champ. The greatest.

Nas is Like

This is one of those samples that the digging community was after for a really long time. People would ask Premier about it, and the only information he would give was that it was a 10" record with a black fish on a pink label. After years of no success, everyone started thinking he was just throwing out a red herring, but eventually Dusty Kid uploaded a clip of it and it turned out that Premier was telling the truth.

2i09169.jpg

Shook Ones, Deep Cover, Ice Cream, Ice Water, Flava in Ya Ear, and Shadez of Brooklyn's When it Rains It Pours were some of the other highly sought after samples from my prime days as a beat digger. For a long time, folks were saying that the Shook Ones sample was a song called Thackeray meets Faculty from the To Sir, with Love soundtrack. As the story goes, there was a Mariah Carey song called The Roof and the Trackmasters did a remix that was made to sound like Shook Ones. The aforementioned Dusty Kid was allegedly in the studio with Trackmasters and saw the Thackeray song listed on the production notes. Obviously, the sample turned out to be the Herbie Hancock song, but Thackeray can definitely be chopped to sound similar.

According to Dre and Colin Wolfe, Deep Cover was an original composition, but I remember Phill Most Chill and a couple other prominent diggers swearing that they heard the actual sample. It could certainly be a case of Dre trying to cover his tracks since producers were more tight-lipped about their sample sources back then. Easy Mo Bee said that he took the two main notes from Billie Jean and pitched those down to make the main portion of Flava In Ya Ear, but I can't really hear it so that could be another case of him throwing out a diversion. He also said the high pitched whining sound he used was a hair-dryer, which I do believe because it sounds just like it :lol:

As far as I know, the Shadez of Brooklyn song is the only other one that has yet to be discovered

This thread really has me reminiscing about the good old days...Kon & Amir, Dusty Fingers, Phill The Soulman (Phill's website is still up even though it hasn't been updated in a decade +...cool interviews with Pete Rock, Showbiz, Buckwild, etc), Biz Markie claiming that he has a copy of Bob James' Mardi Gras that starts out with no bells (he eventually played it, but it turned out to be a bit of an exaggeration because the bells were just panned to one side of the mix), the CTI briefcase...good times

Back then, someone on Soulstrut posted a phone call that they had with Biz where they're just talking about beats and samples. He starts singing this here and talking about how weird it was

Strange stuff :lol:

He used that chorus for his own version called Things Get a Little Easier on his second album

Sorry for the OD long post :lol: :smh:

Last edited:

The ''Murio La Flor'' sample starts at 0:34. btw Mexicano was an artist from El Underground Rap & Reggae (Reggaeton) movement from PR. R.I.P. MEXICANO

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom