Soooo are CD's Irrelevant?

Im an old head so I still buy to have a physical copy (have had a few ipods die out on me) and to support the artist as well.

I honestly haven't bought a CD since high school.
Last CD(s) i bought was
Twista - Adrenaline Rush, Kamikaze
Nas - Illmatic, Street's Disciple
Ludacris - Chicken N Beer

I remember burning bootleg CD's for $5 each haha

This is a subject I’ve thought about often.  I don’t buy CD’s anymore; I’d rather download the digital copies from iTunes upon their release.  I too, like to have the CD booklets and most digital downloads come w/ a PDF version of the album's booklet.  I don’t understand why all albums on iTunes wouldn’t have a PDF copy of the booklet but I digress.

IMO, it doesn’t make sense to buy a CD w/ the intentions of ripping it to a computer.  Might as well skip the ride to your local record store and simply download the digital copy from an online music store.  Since I have a USB and AUX connector on my car stereo, all I need is my iPod.  There hasn’t been a CD in my car stereo for at least two years.

Originally Posted by ToAnotherLevel

This is a subject I’ve thought about often.  I don’t buy CD’s anymore; I’d rather download the digital copies from iTunes upon their release.  I too, like to have the CD booklets and most digital downloads come w/ a PDF version of the album's booklet.  I don’t understand why all albums on iTunes wouldn’t have a PDF copy of the booklet but I digress.

IMO, it doesn’t make sense to buy a CD w/ the intentions of ripping it to a computer.  Might as well skip the ride to your local record store and simply download the digital copy from an online music store.  Since I have a USB and AUX connector on my car stereo, all I need is my iPod.  There hasn’t been a CD in my car stereo for at least two years.

This
There was a turning point for me like 7 years ago.  "Lean Back" was the summer hit, Fat Joe was on fire, and Terror Squad just dropped a new CD.  It was Tuesday morning, and I was so bored, I wanted to buy the TS cd.   So I was on the internet looking at album reviews, but you never know till u listen yourself.  I checked Limewire, and they had all the tracks to the cd on there.  But it was past 10 so I could still go to Best Buy and snag a copy for $10.  I wasn't trippin off the money at all, but I thought about it for a second, and it takes about 30 min to download the album, and 10 mins to burn it.  It takes me 20 minutes to get to best buy, 20 minutes back, and that doesn't include the lines, especially when they just open.  Long story short, I realized it takes me less time to download and burn the CD than it does to actually go out and buy it, and that's not even taking the money into account, esp if you don't live close to a store that sells CDs, with gas and all.  So I burned it, and never looked back.

Now if my favorite artist comes out with a CD I'll most likely buy it and contribute to their extravagant lifestyles, but for those albums you're not so sure about, or isn't your favorite artist, or if you just want to listen to it to see how it is, I think everyone in here will d/l or burn it before they go out and buy a CD they're 50/50 about.  And then the artists you really like, even they sometimes don't bring the best effort, so I still d/l the CD before I buy it just to make sure.  I found this app that downloads torrents on my phone, and I literally don't even need another music source because I listen to everything on my phone, and it's just a cut and paste away from getting on my computer or whatever else.  

With technology that they have today, I just don't see why the average person would even want to buy a CD when they can do almost everything from their phone.  The reason why I even created this topic was because I've been cleaning and organizing my place up, and I have a closet FULL of CDs that I don't listen to anymore, and I don't even need them because any song I could ever want is just a search away on my phone of all places!

Cliffs:

-I stopped buying CD's because it's easier to d/l it on ur computer or phone than actually going out to buy the CD

-You're not gonna buy a CD you're 50/50 about if you can d/l it for free

Is there a file alternative that will match the QUALITY of round that original CD copies provide?

Until then, I think the final jump into all digital will not be complete.

Originally Posted by Gordonson

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

I still buy CD's.

iTunes is good for holding libraries of music an all, but I will only import from a disc onto the computer.

Neva will I purchase an album, digitally.

Agreed. Buying an album digitally feels stupid when you can have the same album in the same quality for free with a Google search. I buy CDs occasionally to support my favorite artists and read the physical booklet.

Co-signing this..

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Is there a file alternative that will match the QUALITY of round that original CD copies provide?

probably FLAC i hear audiophiles use that format

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Good old vinyl...my pops got boxes and boxes of records from back in the day, everything to Motown to Michael Jackson.  His friends thinks he's practically a DJ with all the music he has on deck.  My mom calls him a hoarder.  He says the sound quality on vinyl is better than anything you hear today.  But do you know how hard it is to find a record player these days.  Sorry I'll take my external HD.  Way more songs and it fits in my pocket.

I still buy CD's but CD's will damn near be eliminated in a few years.

Best Buy is going to stop selling CDs this year, i know music isn't what they're really known for, but this is just a sign of things to come.

I mostly buy albums from itunes. But if it comes in a dope package like WTT or Kanye's last album i'll buy it.

I still get CD's from time to time.

Country music, Jazz, Latin music still sell a TON by the way.

Originally Posted by Antidope

I still buy CDs. When I really like an album I see no reason not to buy it and if I'm going to buy it then I would rather have a physical copy.

Originally Posted by illphillip

I still get CD's from time to time.

Country music, Jazz, Latin music still sell a TON by the way.

Very true. Depending on which area Best Buy I go to, the rap section is pretty much fused in with the r&b section, with those genres you listed
plus a couple others having entire individual sections. To me, that either says stores just aren't carrying a lot of rap, or that rap & r&b have overlapped

so much to the point to where there's no need to distinguish the difference between Gucci Mane and Raphael Saadiq. 

Back
Top Bottom