SPLICE WAS HORRIBLE.

Some of you are making it sound an interesting movie from the scientific and ethical standpoint, but those two parts in the spoiler seem a little too graphic and unnecessary for me to enjoy the movie, and I'm not a prude by any means.

Spoiler [+]
the sex scenes, rape, thing turning into a guy and impregnating the woman

Some parts were just nasty! Like your gona have sex with a creature you made! Nooo wayy

I actually liked it. I didn't go into it with great expectations. It was a movie that I went to go see to pass the time. The movie was surprisingly good. It was crazy and was definitely worth seeing.

--Yup. I passed on this. Didnt look appealing at all.
--Actually looked like a rip off of Species.

Originally Posted by SC415

Some parts were just nasty! Like your gona have sex with a creature you made! Nooo wayy
You need to jump into the world of psychology. If people are willing to have sex with animals, robots, etc. It is not a huge leap to sex up a creature you made. If you made a perfect woman, in your perception, you would not sleep with it? The movie is combining psychological topics along with its biochemical and genetic themes. 
The concept of sleeping with your creator has been tackled in psychology for some time, the Oedipus complex. The creature wanting to sex up the mother by doing harm to the other...

As for the creature turning into another sex, certain species of frogs, fish, and lizards have been known to change it's sex.

Originally Posted by cryptikman

You need to jump into the world of psychology. If people are willing to have sex with animals, robots, etc. It is not a huge leap to sex up a creature you made. If you made a perfect woman, in your perception, you would not sleep with it? The movie is combining psychological topics along with its biochemical and genetic themes. 
The concept of sleeping with your creator has been tackled in psychology for some time, the Oedipus complex. The creature wanting to sex up the mother by doing harm to the other...

As for the creature turning into another sex, certain species of frogs, fish, and lizards have been known to change it's sex.
i understand the all of the concepts you just detailed but it came off as idiotic in the movie. 
thought provoking-4% campy garbage-96%

Haha in a scientific world yes because they do think way out the box and with theories and such but all that rape and creature sex turns me off I don't want to watch all that

Originally Posted by Julian Wright

Originally Posted by bittersweet

Cliffnotes.

Spoiler [+]
Sothis lady & her bf were scientists, he wanted to have a child, she didn't want to yet.
They were working on a project, they deterred from it and they created thishuman/creature hybrid.
The guy wanted to kill it because it wasunstable.  It wasn't right to him.
Shedidn't want to - she used her DNA for the project.
They raised it, thething had erratic behavior, just random things.
Later on, he "saw" his gf in the creature, found out she used her DNA.
He had sex with her (the creature), it's wings and tail all came out during this sex scene.
Then, thecreature was dying, they buried it.
It came back alive, turned into amale version, killed the bf & raped the girl scientist.
At the end, she's pregnant with a creature baby, and signed a contract to not let anyone else know about it.
The end.

How dumb is this?
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I gota see this now

Some people are just looking at it at face value. There's a lot going on in the movie (mainly the state of science and the limits they're willing to go in order for "the next big thing") that people will just ignore because of some of the things going on in it. I enjoyed it. It was disturbing at times, but I made it through and saw the bigger picture.

OP left out some stuff as to why some things happened, so reading that, I can see how folks will just say the typical NT response (garbage) and keep it moving.

Originally Posted by cryptikman

I guess I'll have to watch the movie and see how it's done in context. Never knew that about the frogs, fish and lizards, pretty cool actually.

Yeah, some creatures can reproduce asexually. I think they mentioned this sort of thing in one of the films in the Jurassic Park series, too.

The sex change in the movie was pretty accurate as well, at least according to natural sex change in human. Humans have been observed to change sex during puberty as well. The typical case being female to male, just like the movie. The disorders are 5-alpha-reductase deficiency (5alpha-RD-2) and 17-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase deficiency. I do not believe these cases in humans are similar to that of fish, lizards, and frogs because the animals are still able to reproduce after the sex change. 

Originally Posted by donttalkitlivit

^ try not to make it seem right. No one here would have sex with it but you, since you are defending it
My explanation of the scenes in the movie using science is not an advocacy for it.  Please finish high school before you try to challenge me in a duel of wits because, as of now, you have come unarmed.

72% on Rotten Tomatoes though
eek.gif

I might download it when it comes out with a rip
laugh.gif

I think it was good, Guillermo Del Toro overseeing the effects, f it, even I found that creature to be sexy at times.

Well acted, rape scene was akward but definitely not a boring movie. G.I. Joe & The Village are horrible movies.

Only for adults with open minds and a high tolerance for the 'Ew!' factor, 'Splice' is smart, thought-provoking and grim.

Back
Top Bottom