SPUMC Thread - RIP STAN LEE - ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE out now

HOW WAS SPIDERMAN:HOMECOMING?

• It's a Masterpiece!!! (kiLLerisLame was right)

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • Not the Best but Top 5 Easily (like Lebron)

Votes: 44 25.1%
  • Above Average, Maybe Top 10 (butF4notBYKE)

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • Average (like Duff and Milana and M5s)

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • Terrible (this will get 1 vote and it's from AmeL w/ another L)

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters
Anyone catch the deadpool easter egg?

in the gym scene where they're doing situps and Liz admits she has a crush on spider man. That "franalations" type kid sys something like, what if he's all burned and disgusting under that suit, or something like that

Also Marisa Tomei is a great Aunt May. That final scene tho! :lol:

Yeah i think the spider sense issue was addressed by the director as being not yet fully developed. They said that it was always a big focus in the other movies like how it was shown on screen. They said it's not that he doesn't have it but that it's still developing, similar to all his powers. If you noticed there were certain instances he didn't really "stick" to walls and slipped. Also that scene at the end when he's covered in rubble and he struggles till he focuses shows that his powers are not full circle yet.

By the way i loved that scene because it's taken from a scene in a comic that i had when he's in the same situation and busts through. Not sure if that's been replicated but the scene i remember was from a late 90's issue. I'll try to find it.

Revolori was AWFUL CASTING and distasteful. Flash don't need to be an all american white boy jock but at least make him a jock. Seems they went with this flash being peter's social opposite. Being just as smart maybe smarter but having money and more confidence. When you think about it in this age of Lil Yachty rap, he makes sense for what a "bully" looks like but I still woulda preferred someone that's "bigger" be Flash because it plays a better dynamic when you think about it. That puny Peter Parker could whup Flash Thompson all over school.

"MJ" reveal? L. A. M. E. They ripped that from TDKR without prejudice. I don't have a problem with Zendaya's character she was actually refreshing and funny. they made her hella frumpy tho. Her being the "real" MJ tho would be more of a disservice to the character than flash.

As much as the suit is cool i still am meh about it. I loved how the closeups made it seem like it was cloth/felt material insted of spandex, but I was honestly hoping for him to actually make a cooler suit. He's essentially Iron Man lite with all the gadgets and Karen in it. That was also a part that was outta place. They pretty much inserted the Tony Stark/Jarvis element into it and that's outta place.

Ned was great!! Hella comic relief but he vibed with exactly how high school kids would vibe. The whole movie got it right. From the teachers to the nosy nerdy kids, this did exactly what Nolan did for Batman. At certain points when Spider Man wasn't on screen this did not feel like a comic book movie but more like an episode of 90210 or something.

Definitely another 1 - 2 viewings for me. Also I watched sans 3D. I really hate the fact that IMAX is only 3D
mean.gif
I don't watch IMAX for that very reason. I'm not a fan of 3-D.

haven't seen all of the MCU movies, including civil war.. should I watch this or watch everything else first?
mean.gif
The Avengers

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Civil War

in that exact order before you watch Homecoming.

haven't seen all of the MCU movies, including civil war.. should I watch this or watch everything else first? :smh:

The Avengers
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Civil War

in that exact order before you watch Homecoming.

thanks!

i found this list
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011 movie)
Iron Man (2008 movie)
The Incredible Hulk (2008 movie)
Iron Man 2 (2010 movie),
Thor (2011 movie)
The Avengers (2012 movie)
Iron Man 3 (2013 movie)
Thor: The Dark World (2013 movie)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014 movie)
GOTG
GOTG2
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015 movie)
Ant-Man (2015 movie)
Captain America: Civil War (2016 movie)
Doctor Strange (2016 movie)
Spiderman: Homecoming

but i dont think i can commit to watching/rewatching all of those within two-three weeks. :lol:

Did anyone catch what Happy was saying to the loaders about the final boxes of equipement? He mentioned Hulk Buster, something, and then Thor's magical belt? 
Anyone know what that could mean?
yeah I caught it but wasn't sure what it meant. Also said something about Captain Americas new prototype shield.  I was wondering what that was about since they got beef and he's a fugitive.

Did anyone catch what Happy was saying to the loaders about the final boxes of equipement? He mentioned Hulk Buster, something, and then Thor's magical belt? 

just an easter egg

Thor’s belt

Towards the end of the movie, Happy Hogan (Jon Favreau) takes a break from babysitting Spider-Man in order to help his boss Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) officially move Avengers headquarters from the city to an upstate facility. Such a setup practically cries out for Easter eggs, and Happy does drop a funny one. Though he can’t quite pronounce it, Happy references Thor’s belt, the legendary Megingjörð that can double its user’s strength. Along with his hammer, Mjolnir, this belt is one of the artifacts that enhances and channels Thor’s power. In the Ultimate Marvel universe, it was even more important. There, it was portrayed as the very source of his powers, and his one-time comrades in the Ultimates were only able to defeat him by tearing it off. Another sign, along with the Miles shoutouts above, that Spider-Man: Homecoming draws more on Ultimate Marvel than anything else.

^^^yeah the nod to Brian Michael Bendis in the end credits made sense. If you've read USM from the beginning you'll know and really see how much of what he did and wrote for SM was in this.

Last edited:
I saw that too. Nothing too much to think about. It all prolly happened a year after Iron man. Avengers didn't have to happen in 12

So Ironman 2 Was Just A Few Months After Ironman 1 [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Do You Consider IM3 Cannon At This Point? The Events Are Never Mentioned Or Referenced Especially The Kid At The End

IM3 is definitely canon as Stark doesn't have the arc reactor in his chest anymore.

He also talked about destroying his suits in CW iirc.

Last edited:
Makes Sense As To Why IM Wasn't In WS To Help With No Armor, But I Mean They Kid Napped The President & Thats Never Spoken On & Stark Gave That Kid Allllll Types Of Tech & Thats Never Mentioned Again (Unless In Antman, Never Watched That One)

oh, he didn't really give the kid enough tech to be like the next IM or something, seems like he just wanted the kid to have fun and dude probably sold off most of those stuf and I think he gave him an old mustang too

not everything has to be referenced to in any future films

kid wasn't really a big deal, just part of the story

Movie was flames.

Always remember, lamekilla lamekilla was right.

Now we're all true believers!

Peter's AI being a product of him and Ned hacking the suit has been mentioned enough though. I legit thought the AI was hilarious and made good banter and comic relief for the time Peter was spending with himself trying to learn the new things in the suit he unlocked. I can see it not being something brought back once he has more characters around to have banter with yet at the same time I wouldn't mind it returning in scenes here and there with spiderman in his next appearances.

Last edited:
'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Writers Had Just 3 Days to Win Over Marvel

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley's funny and heartfelt take on Peter Parker landed them the job: "Just because you get superpowers, doesn't mean you become an adult or sophisticated or can get the girl."
There are few projects that should inspire a bad case of nerves for a screenwriter like Spider-Man: Homecoming.

The pressure was immense, with the landmark film bringing together two studios, attempting to right the ship after 2014's Amazing Spider-Man 2 — and most importantly, launching the first Spider-Man movie to be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

But screenwriters Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley didn't have the luxury of psyching themselves out. The pair, largely know for comedies such as Horrible Bosses and 2015's Vacation, had just three days to put together a pitch for Marvel.

"There was no time to be nervous really. We had such a ticking clock in getting this thing made and also in pitching it," Daley tells Heat Vision.

As audiences are now learning, their take on Peter Parker involved plenty of humor and heart, and de-emphasized some of the more melodramatic elements of previous movie incarnations. The end results were the screenwriters spinning webbing into gold, with Spider-Man: Homecoming getting a particularly enthusiastic response, even by Marvel standards. Goldstein and Daley earned screen story by credits and share screenplay credits with director Jon Watts, Christopher Ford and Chris McKenna.

In a conversation with Heat Vision, the pair discuss creating more believable high school characters for 2017, why secret identities can be kind of cheesy and how Michael Keaton's The Vulture joined the fray in the Marvel and Sony film.

You didn't have a lot of time to put together your pitch. What do you think it was about your take that landed you the job?

Jonathan Goldstein: I think it was the combination of the humor of it, along with the relatability, that we told a high school story that happened to have superpowers. I think that's something everybody can relate to. Just because you get superpowers, doesn't mean you become an adult or sophisticated or can get the girl.

John Francis Daley: In many ways, it veers you into a more irresponsible and immature direction.

How did The Vulture come into play?

Daly: What we liked about The Vulture is he is very relatable in the sense that he doesn't have powers himself. He is a regular Joe who feels cheated by the system, and the fact that there are people out there who are reaping the rewards of superherodom.

Goldstein: We also wanted to keep it grounded in more down-to-Earth villains, no puns intended. Not world domination, just kind of like "make some money."

How much seeding of a potential sequel did you put in your original script?

Daley: The sequel is so determined by the powers that be, that anything we planted may change.

Goldstein: There are Easter eggs and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and all of that.

Daley: We made sure to set up some characters that I think will want to be revisited in the next movie.

Peter's best friend, Ned, is sure to be a breakout character. People have noted he actually resembles the Ultimate Spider-Man character Ganke. Is that something you envisioned on your end?

Daley: We knew we needed him to be a relatable geeky dude who is friends with Peter, and so I think they nailed it with the casting.

The movie is getting a lot of praise for a more diverse and more accurate depiction of a high school. What were your inspirations there?

Daley: It's a magnet school, so they are all pretty smart. Even the antagonists in the story, which is nice, because then you aren't dealing with your typical dumb jock bully, which you've seen a million times before. I think the goal with all of it was to flip some of the conventions on their head and make these kids smarter, wittier and more in tune with the real world than the prior characters have been.

Goldstein: We go back to John Hughes as the touchstone for the high school movie. If you look at The Breakfast Club, he took a lot of types and put them in the room and realized there are layers to them and there are reasons for the way they are. There's much more than their clothes and typical treatment in these movies.

Daley. The love interest has depth and the geeky best friend has depth. The bully [Flash Thompson, played by Tony Revolori] is somewhat likeable and not just physically intimidating. What always bummed me out was, who cares if the bully is physically intimidating? You know Peter Parker could rip his limbs off. It's false stakes in a way. Why not just have an antagonistic rich kid? One who lords his wealth over Peter? Someone who has more confidence than Peter?

Fans already know from the trailers that Ned learns Peter's secret identity. How'd you decide to go in that direction?

Daley: We mentioned that with Marvel and we thought it would be so cool to have a sounding board for Peter. Somebody who is the devil on his shoulder.

Goldstein: That's the kind of friendship model we wanted to play into. Also, one thing that was different from Spider-Man or Peter Parker from most of the MCU was the secret identity. Marvel made a decision kind of early on that we're not going to have secret identities, it's kind of cheesy. Clark Kent with the glasses. Why don't they see that's Superman? So we all kind of made the decision, let's do away [with it]. It's still Peter's secret, but for purposes of the movie … it's not really what we're leaning into.

Daley: There was sort of an archetype of Superbad that I think we used a little bit. You have these two kids that don't have a lot of confidence, but they are such best friends and you can feel that love coming between them, it's just a nice model to play with.

Last edited:

yeah I caught it but wasn't sure what it meant. Also said something about Captain Americas new prototype shield.  I was wondering what that was about since they got beef and he's a fugitive.

Yeah, at first I assumed maybe his energy shield but then again, they could also be talking about this from IM2.

With that said, I'm sure it was just a throwaway line :lol:

oh, he didn't really give the kid enough tech to be like the next IM or something, seems like he just wanted the kid to have fun and dude probably sold off most of those stuf and I think he gave him an old mustang too

I Get What You're Saying, That Movie Just Bugs Me Because Every Movie Post A1 Are Connected With Mentions Of The Other Movie's Event Except IM3

I Get What You're Saying, That Movie Just Bugs Me Because Every Movie Post A1 Are Connected With Mentions Of The Other Movie's Event Except IM3

The more IM3 can stay it's own thing, the better. I don't even want to associate that trash of a movie with the MCU :lol:

Last edited:
IM3 was such a disappointment. Fake Mandarin only to find out a 'real' Mandarin is lurking out in the MCU. Cmon now.

Back
Top Bottom