St. John's University Heads please check in! (new yorkers also welcome)

If you go, make sure that you have a plan to fully pay for the other $13,000 in just tuition that you are short.

16k will not cover the whole tuition. It will cost you up to $30,000+ a year to attend that school. They have a good pharmacy and physician assistant program.If you're not majoring in it one of them I don't think it would worth it to attend that school. But if you decide to attend that school, try to dorm atthe Manhattan campus. You will get to enjoy to City. I heard the dorms there are really limited so you might have to apply early for that. It's an okayschool but defly a commuter school. Good luck.

Originally Posted by kingofny04

Originally Posted by doctorshoes

I wouldn't say St. Johns is the third best school in the city. That title belongs to Cuny Honors. St. Johns is decent, but if your grades are really that good I wouldn't recommend going there.
What other school besides Columbia or NYU is going to give you a true on campus college experience? Please dont say a CUNY
indifferent.gif

NYU will not give you a true campus college experience. they dont even have a real campus
laugh.gif

west where did you get 13k? tuition is liek 26k -16k = 10k

but the on campus+ food = 15k

25k total i am short. I've don't my research yooo

Listen to them. I went there for two years, it felt like High School all over again..to me at least. What a waste of money. And top three in NYC?....na, ubuggin. IMO St Johns has just become a name, and its just popular for just its name now, theres nothing behind that name besides the Pharmacy program andbasketball. If you ask anyone what St johns is known for, academics\scholastics is def not being mentioned.

As a dorming student and a Pharmacy major i can tell you right now that St. Johns is WACK

The Campus SUCK, montgoris (the only dining hall) SUCK, the dorms SUCK, the parties SUCK (oh wait, theres isnt any), the security SUCK, the school spirit SUCK,

the pharmacy program is
pimp.gif
though

So…what university is good in the nyc area…
Like..if sju sucks and places like Columbia and NYU are Ivy..are there no good universities in nyc?

my brother went to st johns for his first year. BIG MISTAKE. like everybody else said, if you aren't going to study pharmacy, then there isnt any point ofgoing there. and if you get distracted easily, you might as well pay them the tuition cost now and stay in Cali. too many distractions (i.e. parties, girls).dorm rooms are kinda small (donovan hall), and a lot of people keep on getting robbed. you are guaranteed to lose personal belongings.

St Johns is the best school in the city behind Columbia and NYU of course. In terms of providing the real college environment with a matching education and a recognized school nationally, it definitely is something to talk about. You can talk about the lack of school spirit, lack of social life, but I believe the school provides just the right amount. The SJU Basketball team will always be something to look out for, yea the last couple of years we have not been up there but its slowly but surely making a turn around. The party scene I must admit is really about who you know, dont expect to come to school and get into parties, be social and you will definitely know where the party is at. I wish SJU gave me 16k I only got 8k plus financial aid, and Im not complaining. If your looking forward to coming to NY and you cant get into NYU or Columbia, St Johns is the perfect choice for you.
Seriously, as much as I hate my University, Fordham > St. Johns in academics. Hell we could prob compete with you in Athletics nowadays. St.Johns is a good school no doubt, but it's not worth the tuition. Fordham = 4rd highest ranked Catholic Univ in the US. Last I checked St. Johns was notthe 3 ahead so I guess your statement is a bit off.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

St Johns is the best school in the city behind Columbia and NYU of course. In terms of providing the real college environment with a matching education and a recognized school nationally, it definitely is something to talk about. You can talk about the lack of school spirit, lack of social life, but I believe the school provides just the right amount. The SJU Basketball team will always be something to look out for, yea the last couple of years we have not been up there but its slowly but surely making a turn around. The party scene I must admit is really about who you know, dont expect to come to school and get into parties, be social and you will definitely know where the party is at. I wish SJU gave me 16k I only got 8k plus financial aid, and Im not complaining. If your looking forward to coming to NY and you cant get into NYU or Columbia, St Johns is the perfect choice for you.
Seriously, as much as I hate my University, Fordham > St. Johns in academics. Hell we could prob compete with you in Athletics nowadays. St. Johns is a good school no doubt, but it's not worth the tuition. Fordham = 4rd highest ranked Catholic Univ in the US. Last I checked St. Johns was not the 3 ahead so I guess your statement is a bit off.
Fixed.

frown.gif
Kelioos wrote:

As a dorming student and a Pharmacy major i can tell you right now that St. Johns is WACK

The Campus SUCK, montgoris (the only dining hall) SUCK, the dorms SUCK, the parties SUCK (oh wait, theres isnt any), the security SUCK, the school spirit SUCK,

the pharmacy program is
pimp.gif
though

Word.

What year are you in? PM me

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

So…what university is good in the nyc area…
Like..if sju sucks and places like Columbia and NYU are Ivy..are there no good universities in nyc?

Not sure if you're ready for college if you think NYU is an ivy. There are many great colleges and universities in NYC, it just depends on what you'relooking for.

Do your research and you will find Cooper Union if you want to do something in the engineering field, Sophie Davis for medical, Baruch for business, andJuillard for the arts.http://www.ny.com/cgibin/frame.cgi?url=http://www.julliard.edu/ http://www.ny.com/cgibin/frame.cgi?url=http://www.julliard.edu/

I'm going to go for accounting,

so I'm guessing no one respects st. johns?
I'm still going to take a trip to nyc and check it out
i still have to hear back from uc's, cal states, and asu...well see what happens

I transferred from st johns as of this semester....place is TRASH.... Im a double ply sci and education major btw..... its not worth the money... and 75% ofthe students make it seem like your in high school in the middle of harlem....

good luck kid...I wouldnt suggest it

oh and I see a lot of people talking bout what schools besides NYU and Columbia....

Fordham(way above the list below)
Baruch
Hunter
New School

honeslty.... these are all equal if not better than st johns....and I go to Hunter now for education....my professors are much better and itsobviously more affordable

depends on what you want to study.

SJU is known well for its pharmacy program and biology/chemistry.

It also has a reputable business division - Tobin School of Business

It has a well known psych program.

But yea if your going to be an english major or something - try to look into the schools that are strong in english.
(this applies for any program you wish to study)

Also the women are Ok. 1/3.5 Girls in that school can get the D based on looks alone. So it gets a pass.

smh.gif
people hating on St. John's...prolly the ones waiting on pins and needles for the acceptance letter from LaGuardia CC

The school is what you make of it. By being in such close proximity to Manhattan you will have PLENTY of opportunities to network and land a potential job. Ihad a blast in my time there. I met a lot of good people, and still have close ties to the school. I wouldn't trade my time at St. John's for anything.Yes, it's a dry campus, but if you meet a lot of the commuters etc., you will find there will always be something to do. Also, by being 25 minutes by trainto the city, there is no excuse for ever being bored. Like I said before, the school is what you make of it.

*my Jr. year there the school had their final Spring Fling...it was the only day they allowed alcohol on campus because it was like a big carnival w. games,rides, etc. If you were 21+ (or w. a good ID), they would let you into a fenced off part of the parking lot...they had kegs galore. There was a big fightbetween TKE and another frat, and that was the last year they had it....

laugh.gif

Im only seeing hate by current St Johns students, maybe they came and expected it to be heaven, maybe not. I dormed first year (dont regret it) I commutenow(rather live by campus). I really have no complaints besides the tuition costs. If your paying less then 10k out your pocket, its nothing to complain about.Even if your coming for the name, it still does have some sort of meaning. As far as popularity, last time I checked the number of applicants has onlyincreased through the years. And I wouldn't say the school is ghetto, but there is definitely an even set of groups to go around. Like someone saidearlier, check the school out, take a tour, go to orientation, then make your decision. Just because some people didnt fit in doesnt mean you wont.

As far as popularity, last time I checked the number of applicants has only increased through the years.

Wrong, I'm a student worker at one of the dean's office. They are having meetings constantly to boost the dwindling enrollment of students and theresulting budget deficit.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom