Stan Van Gundy and the Magic team eached fined $35K

this is getting ridiculous....

The NBA has fined Stan Van Gundy and the Orlando Magic $35,000 apiece for Van Gundy's public criticism of game officials, the league announced late Friday afternoon.

On Thursday, Van Gundy was asked by Fanhouse reporter Tim Povtak, "What's your take on the replacement refs? Are they doing OK?"

"Well, here's the thing with the replacement refs: There's no problem with them," Van Gundy said. "These are guys the NBA in large part has identified. They're good, young officials on the way up, and one day they'll be ready. It would be like us having to play with an entire D-League roster. A lot of those guys will be ready to play in three or four years.

"If you took one of those guys and put him on an NBA crew every night, they'd probably be OK. But they're all out there together. It'd be like me taking a D-League team and saying, 'All right, let's go play the Hornets.' It's not going to work too good. So, there's no fault of those guys. It's just as much as we get on our own officials as coaches, they're the best 60 guys in the world. And, so, you're comparing the replacement guys to them. Well, those are the best 60 guys. I don't care what profession -- when you're going to get compared to the best 60 guys in the world, it's going to be hard."

Then, Orlando Sentinel columnist Mike Bianchi said, "It's not like you guys can complain any more, though, about the officiating, right?"

"That's a good point," Van Gundy said. "I would say, Mike, actually the one thing it does give you, as much as we get on our guys, it really gives you an appreciation of how good they are, how hard the job is, number one, and how good our guys really are. It's a tough came to call. At times, they make it look easy. These guys are still struggling to learn. I've seen some really good ones. I think a couple of them are going to be very good very quick, but some of the other ones? Maybe not."

The league had sent a memo to its teams before the exhibition season began reminding them that any public criticism of referees can result in fines.

Reached by phone on Friday night, Van Gundy declined to comment about the fine.

He becomes the third NBA coach fined for criticizing the replacement officials this preseason. Memphis Grizzlies Coach Lionel Hollins and Charlotte Bobcats Coach Larry Brown were also penalized by the league office.

http://www.orlandosentine...d-101609,0,3849556.story
Reached by phone on Friday night, Van Gundy declined to comment about the fine.
got my homie too shook to even speak on the matter
smh.gif

So he was fined for what?

I actually read the whole article and he said nothing to put the replacement refs down

I suppose they're fining him for comparing them to a D-League team.

Still stupid.

Originally Posted by 18th letter

Man they fine people for everything

- but im saying though, why even say anything? Stan talks to damn much. i mean, sure, he may be 100% right but what is talking about it supposed to do? therefs are locked out and going through contract disputes that involve a union....the NBA did the best they could by getting replacement refs. its not like thereis some other pool of professional NBA refs to go and get, i mean !%+? a substitute teacher is a substitute teacher.

- c'mon Stan......"both teams played hard". like, how difficult is that??

I hate when they fine people for this stuff...it annoys me. Press conferences could be so much more entertaining if coaches/players could completely go off onthe refs.

Originally Posted by Banks2Pierce

I hate when they fine people for this stuff...it annoys me. Press conferences could be so much more entertaining if coaches/players could completely go off on the refs.

Hell Naw....Can you imagine the amount of whining they'd do after every game?
sick.gif

Originally Posted by jdizzle75

Its the preseason jesus quit crying

1. SVG wasn't crying, he made an analogy and even gave them props. 2. Exactly. Its the preseason. The scabs are on a fast learning curve and if they blownumerours calls during meaningful games the criticism is only going to get worse. The complaining now should only serve as an urge to step their game up asap.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

- but im saying though, why even say anything? Stan talks to damn much. i mean, sure, he may be 100% right but what is talking about it supposed to do? the refs are locked out and going through contract disputes that involve a union....the NBA did the best they could by getting replacement refs. its not like there is some other pool of professional NBA refs to go and get, i mean !%+? a substitute teacher is a substitute teacher.

He was asked a question and he answered. Not PC but if he answered it that way you know damn well he'd be lying.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

- but im saying though, why even say anything? Stan talks to damn much. i mean, sure, he may be 100% right but what is talking about it supposed to do? the refs are locked out and going through contract disputes that involve a union....the NBA did the best they could by getting replacement refs. its not like there is some other pool of professional NBA refs to go and get, i mean !%+? a substitute teacher is a substitute teacher.

He was asked a question and he answered. Not PC but if he answered it that way you know damn well he'd be lying.

*both teams played hard*.........is that not answering the question? dude is a moron. sometimes the media ask you questions just to try and start +!!%, andsometimes they ask you questions not really expecting you to go into great detail. i mean c'mon man did any of us expect any problems with the refs? arethere any problems with the refs? according to him no. then just say "theyy're doing okay" and move the %%!* on.....jesus
smh.gif

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

If the NBA fines these coaches enough they'll have the revenue to pay for the real refs.
laugh.gif
I think that's their brilliant plan.

- but im saying though, why even say anything? Stan talks to damn much. i mean, sure, he may be 100% right but what is talking about it supposed to do? the refs are locked out and going through contract disputes that involve a union....the NBA did the best they could by getting replacement refs. its not like there is some other pool of professional NBA refs to go and get, i mean $%%? a substitute teacher is a substitute teacher.

Rasheed got fined for that too.

SVG's reaction to being fined

A day after the NBA fined him and the Orlando Magic $35,000 apiece for his comments about replacement officials, Stan Van Gundy said his only regret is that the team got fined, too.

But Van Gundy stood by his previous comments. Responding to reporters' questions, Van Gundy had called the NBA's regular refs "the best 60 guys" in the entire refereeing profession and said that the replacements are still learning.

"I don't regret anything I said," Van Gundy said after Saturday's Magic practice.

"I think what I said was accurate, reasoned and positive. I thought it was positive about both groups. So, I don't regret anything I said. We work under the auspices of David Stern, and he decides what you can talk about and what you can't talk about. I talked about a subject I'm not supposed to talk about, and he hit us hard, and that's fine."

"I didn't say anything negative either about the replacement officials," he added, starting to smile. "It will be the first, and probably only, time in my career that I will be fined that kind of money for basically saying very positive things about our referees.

"So," he continued, a smile on his face, "I would like to tell the league office that I will try not to make that mistake publicly again, saying we had the best 60 guys in the world."

Van Gundy also said he was a "little upset" with the wording of the NBA's press release announcing the sanction. The release said Van Gundy was fined "for publicly criticizing game officials."

"That's not what I did at all," he said. "I didn't criticize a game official on any occasion. I simply commented on the situation in general."
http://www.orlandosentine...809oct18,0,1334960.story

Back
Top Bottom