Starting a corporate job at 28 any advice ?

Niketalk has always stirred me in the right direction in the past. Not the biggest poster but have soaked up a lot of knowledge through out the years here.

Just accepted a sales job at a big local corporation. Found out about said job thru a girl I mess with, killed interview & accepted job on spot. However my background isn't the most common. I've been running a local reselling business where I sell Jordan's, yeezys, supreme, bape, sports gear, etc for the past 4-5 years. Have some clients that's are well off & even some pro athletes. However at the end of the day I was only netting around 30K profit & not paying the proper taxes. I needed a change as now that I'm getting older what might of worked a few years ago isn't now. I worked my own hours and lived a pretty care free life but now I'm looking at 45 hours a week and still trying run this business on the side.

While it may sound dumb this world I'm entering is pretty new to me. Looking for any tips or advice from people that were maybe in similar spot at once. I never thought I'd have an opportunity like this even a month ago so trying soak up all the advice I can.

giphy.gif

Prepare to be annoyed by the lack of common sense and following non sense rules instead. The money they waste will blow your mind. I worked one corporate job in my life and dipped after three months.

Good luck man, if you hate it just stay to build your resume and leave as soon as you find a job working for a small company. I used to do my own thing too and the corporate thing just wasn't for me. I make more money now and have better benefits working for a tiny company and can do whatever I want as long as I get my job done. They also are teaching me the game so one day I can do my own thing if I want.

If you love it great, if you hate it just use the experience and move on.

Be mindful of who you can sexually harass. Not all women like that kind of attention.

Don't eat others people food. Hands will be swiftly placed on you. Almost got me fired when I put a old white man in a chokehold for eating my food. He was doing it for about a month on and off.

Common and logical advice, keep religion and politics far and away.

As someone with a varied past there is a simple rule to follow - be uppity. The first six months it is best to always wear a shield of uppity until you have a real strong sense of the people around you. Then, continue to be uppity, always document how you spend your time, and try to make 1 or 2 close friends to make the day to day bearable. There is nothing worse than having to talk to a middle manager about why you are not at quota. If you are able to document what you have been spending time on the conversation goes a lot better. In reality, it is 90% luck and 10% effort. Corporate sales is all about persistence and ability to discuss why stuff is not going well without saying it's not my fault.

Like MPLS said, common sense doesn't exist in corporate America. Care about your job and work product, but don't get wrapped up in the "job is life" mentality some people have. At the end of the day, they'll let you go at the drop of a hat and it's not worth stressing to the point your health deteriorates. Interact with your co-workers, but don't give too many details about your private life or side hustles outside of work. Be prepared for less talented/intelligent people to get promoted over you or someone else.

And DON'T dip your pen in company ink, too many women in the world to ruin your future on a sexual harassment claim because of a scornful co-worker you smashed and didn't call back.

The one piece of advice that I can give you that I think matters at every job you take is find out your balance between networking and putting your head in your desk and working. That is something I have not figured out myself.

My first 18 months at my current job I was 100% put my head in my desk and did no networking unless it was really thrust upon me. Now that I've settled in and been promoted I'm around.... 95% to 5% which to some people can still be a bad ratio.

Putting your head in your desk and working will get you somewhere but networking can easily get you there faster and with less work. There's a guy who guy got what most would consider a highly coveted role simply off the strength of networking.

No point to go into work with a jaded attitude either, but I have no complaints over where I work.

I work at a global financial institution. It is the epitome of corporate. Some of the things I've observed
  • Office politics are very real. If you play the game, you can benefit from it. I've watched people get promoted over others who were more deserving because they looked a certain way or were in a clique.
  • Keep your emotions in check especially if you are a Black man.
  • Common sense isn't common. I'm surprised at the stupidity people display on a daily basis. Book smart is just that, book smart. When it ultimately interferes with your work, it can lead to frustration. Learn that it is to be expected so that you aren't walking around angry.
  • As a single man, temptation will be there. Don't mess with anyone in your department. I've seen people I work with get married to people across the business. Dipping your pen in company ink is fine if they aren't people you directly encounter.
  • Learn when and when not to speak on a matter. I was scolded recently for airing my frustration out in my front of my team regarding someone's lack of common sense and their inability to communicate. It was out of my character. My managing director told me he would have preferred that we had the conversation in private. It wasn't a good look for me.

Dress well

Try not to suffocate beneath the stupidity and lack of critical thinking

Be so smart and competent that nobody can **** with you

Leave your emotional attachments at the door

Dress well

Doesn't work like that. I know plenty minorities in corporate that are incredibly competent but... Well you know. Everybody is expendable. Someone that looks like them with more chemistry and kisses *** is in less danger than the competent negro they just don't jive with. Excuses will be made to get you out the paint.

I've worked in corporate America ever since I got out of college. For the last 8 years, I worked in management for 5-6 large national and global companies. I skipped around a lot because I get bored and back when I was younger, I thought it was a great way to get a nice pay bump. You'll be lucky to get a 5% pay raise annually, and that's with God like productivity where as if you move jobs, it's usually 10% bump at least.

The larger the company is, the more immobile it is. The fields I worked in range from airlines, biotech, healthcare, nonprofit, and now consulting. When I was in biotech, the company only hired the brightest minds. Interns were from top tier schools, but the processes were so backward. It would take months to get a line added into an SOP because of the red tape. And we would have meetings at odd-hours since some meetings are global.

Office politic is very real at every single place that I've worked at. It's why I grew tired of corporate America, and why the company I work for now is the smallest of them all so it's not top heavy. I've seen it all:

-The warehouse employee who slept her way to being a director and causing a medical officer to leave his wife for her in the process
-Our night drivers using company cars to pick up hookers
-A very well qualified candidate denied of the job because he had tattoos (of course they didn't tell him that)
-HR playing favorites on who got promoted
-Tension created when friends within the dept. competed for a better internal job

Congrats on your job, first and foremost! I have 4 advice for you:

1. Do your absolute best. Don't take it for granted. This is a great advice in life overall. I absolutely despise the fact that many employees feel entitled. They show up physically but they spend most of their time not working, either be online or talking to friends. They think they should get a raise because they've been working there for years. Mediocrity doesn't stand out. They get jealous of higher paying personnel.

2. Try not to be on your phone so much during the first 6 months at least. You may see others do it, but you never know who's watching. I remember at our management meetings, words would fly out like "Hey, I always see your new hire on her phone...what's up with that?" You don't want to be blacklisted.

3. Documentation. You may have a verbal conversation with your manager, but if it's important enough....follow up with an email so you can piggy back from it if you need to. I learned that the hard way at my first job when I 'trusted' my manager.

4. Be weary about who you hit on if you're single. I've seen a lot of reports go through because employees felt harassed. Try to avoid deep conversations, either about politics or religions.

Again, congratulations. Go in and conquer, my friend.

Niketalk has always stirred me in the right direction in the past. Not the biggest poster but have soaked up a lot of knowledge through out the years here.

Just accepted a sales job at a big local corporation. Found out about said job thru a girl I mess with, killed interview & accepted job on spot. However my background isn't the most common. I've been running a local reselling business where I sell Jordan's, yeezys, supreme, bape, sports gear, etc for the past 4-5 years. Have some clients that's are well off & even some pro athletes. However at the end of the day I was only netting around 30K profit & not paying the proper taxes. I needed a change as now that I'm getting older what might of worked a few years ago isn't now. I worked my own hours and lived a pretty care free life but now I'm looking at 45 hours a week and still trying run this business on the side.

While it may sound dumb this world I'm entering is pretty new to me. Looking for any tips or advice from people that were maybe in similar spot at once. I never thought I'd have an opportunity like this even a month ago so trying soak up all the advice I can.

Ur already a step ahead some of ur peers that may be starting around the same time as u with your 'hustle mentality' because of ur business..sales should be a breeze for u..I've been working corporate jobs from the beginning..I'm gonna admit they suck..my best advice..just mind ur own business..avoid any negative ppl..especially the ones who talk sh** about other ppl..actually avoid them at all costs..I've learned to let me be the judge of other ppl..show up on time everday..and don't do anything that may seem a little bit stupid..and u should have a job for a long time..also bring ur lunch..and contribute to ur 401k immediately..good luck

great advices up there. def document everything. esp when you plan on missing work/taking paid time off or something.

dont just ask verbally, always email and get proof that a manager approved your leave.

Last edited:
After working for a small net company, and going into the cooperate side of things will be a big change for you.
Be aware that they don´t deal with problems/situations individually theres always a "protocol". Which can be super annoying as they go the stupid/long way around doing things.
The good thing is you can learn a lot, usually learn a lot about how not to run a big business lol. And remember no one is your friend they are all out for themselves trying to get promoted and what not. So just keep work as work. Stay away from fake smiles remember why your there get in and get out make it worth your while.
Good luck !

If your black do not flirt with the women especially white women in the office. "Oh young bill Russell made me uncomfortable when he said..." and you're done.

Set a schedule after work. Always have time for an activity you enjoy.

Always have something on the horizon. For example plan a trip or vacation or set a goal you want to achieve. Trust me weeks turn into years.

Pay yourself first. Prettt obvious

Some days will absolutely suck.

If you're black do not and I mean absolutely do not discuss hot topic items. A lot of the times people will try to lure you in like this. " what are your thoughts on the public school system" or "did you watch he news last night, they are always robbing/ stealing/ shooting." Curve any of those questions.

Be mindful if you go out and drink with coworkers, notice those that throw others under the bus.

Just use common sense lol

That too, definitely don't get involved with negative folks or conversation, no matter if you agree or not. They'll drag you into their conversation then place it all on you when you're not around. Again if you're a minority just lay low. Also work smarter, not harder, don't get burnt out while your counterpart is coasting.

There are people here on this planet who have no regard for human life. Don't be one of those people. Work/money/title don't mean anything.
I woke up today @7am nyc time I thank God for that. Do your job live a good decent life and all things you desire in life will come your way.

Be mindful of who you can sexually harass. Not all women like that kind of attention.

Don't eat others people food. Hands will be swiftly placed on you. Almost got me fired when I put a old white man in a chokehold for eating my food. He was doing it for about a month on and off.

Common and logical advice, keep religion and politics far and away.

Don't do anything mentioned here, don't ever sexually harass anyone, don't steal lunches, and never put a chokehold on anyone ever.

Dress well

Don't dress well, dress like those above. It's different by company and industry.

The people above at my company dress like old dads. I wear a different blazer every day and get consistently pointed out as the poster child for proper dress code. I'm not worried about looking like them, I'm trying to put myself in a certain mindset by "dressing for the job I want". It's not so much a corporate thing for me as it is me trying to psych myself out

Doesn't work like that. I know plenty minorities in corporate that are incredibly competent but... Well you know. Everybody is expendable. Someone that looks like them with more chemistry and kisses *** is in less danger than the competent negro they just don't jive with. Excuses will be made to get you out the paint.

Trust me b I been marked out before, in the same department no less. Demoted and everything, consistent Game of Thrones type moves against me, pushed to working two days out of a traditional 40 hours work week lol. The only person working part time in a company full of hundreds of full time employees :lol: I made a comeback of LL proportions tho

Now I'm literally the only person who can do my job and my department is pretty ****ed as it is

Not saying it can't happen but if they really wanna mark me out now then good luck to them....

Last edited:
Don't do anything mentioned here, don't ever sexually harass anyone, don't steal lunches, and never put a chokehold on anyone ever.
I mean cmon. Only if they deserve a chokehold.

And I used to sexually harass many of my ex female co-workers. I worked at a medical
Clinic and ya know how loose nurses and call centers employees be. They used to be my pickins' when on a dry spell.

I work at a global financial institution. It is the epitome of corporate. Some of the things I've observed
  • Office politics are very real. If you play the game, you can benefit from it. I've watched people get promoted over others who were more deserving because they looked a certain way or were in a clique.
  • Keep your emotions in check especially if you are a Black man.
  • Common sense isn't common. I'm surprised at the stupidity people display on a daily basis. Book smart is just that, book smart. When it ultimately interferes with your work, it can lead to frustration. Learn that it is to be expected so that you aren't walking around angry.
  • As a single man, temptation will be there. Don't mess with anyone in your department. I've seen people I work with get married to people across the business. Dipping your pen in company ink is fine if they aren't people you directly encounter.
  • Learn when and when not to speak on a matter. I was scolded recently for airing my frustration out in my front of my team regarding someone's lack of common sense and their inability to communicate. It was out of my character. My managing director told me he would have preferred that we had the conversation in private. It wasn't a good look for me.
I work for the same kind of firm and to add on this... FaceTime matters. They will always tell you otherwise, "Work life balance, blah blah blah" but they're lying. They'd prefer to see you there putting in hours if you're at analyst/associate level.

Back
Top Bottom