Starting out collecting

hey guys i'm gonna start collecting some sneakers and was wondering if you guys have any advice and help for a new collector it would be great, sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

quit while you're ahead.....

trust me, collecting sneakers is corny and does nothing to better your life

thats why im selling off all of my sneakers that i purchased in the early 2000s smh

quit while you're ahead.....

trust me, collecting sneakers is corny and does nothing to better your life

thats why im selling off all of my sneakers that i purchased in the early 2000s smh

that's how i feel now that I'm older, but there's still some shoes I want to have. It's just not priority anymore. But for the OP, my advice is to try to get shoes that will likely increase or retain their value over time. That way you can sell them if an emergency comes up or you grow out of this hobby.

Last edited:
Cop shoes you actually like and can see yourself wearing.

Don't cop bc its a steal price(
mean.gif
) or its a hot shoe, you won't wear.

Collecting? Or just buying shoes you want?

When you say collection, I think of irrational purchasing.

figure out ahead of time what you like, make a list if you have to

then when you start collecting, stick to your list - this will help protect you against hype
of course this method works best if you're older & want to pursue the old pairs you never had or loved so much

if you're younger, it may be harder to complete a list like this because you are constantly discovering new models
you never knew you liked, but you can still do research before you start, perhaps promise yourself you won't buy anything
for a while until you get a firm grasp on what you like

i'm an older collector but still through my years at this, i've learned quit a bit (yet haven't really deviated from the list of kicks i started with)

this way you won't be getting pulled every which way & end up with hundreds of pairs you look at one day and say
"i never really wanted most of these, what was i thinking?"

how many should be on "your list" - that's up to you, but no one has hundreds of favorites i will tell you now

lots of learning & research - yes - is necessary if one is about to dive into such an expensive hobby, it's not silly - it's smart

if youre looking for some of the classic nike dunk sb's, there are a lot of cheap deals on ebay nowadays.

figure out ahead of time what you like, make a list if you have to
then when you start collecting, stick to your list - this will help protect you against hype
of course this method works best if you're older & want to pursue the old pairs you never had or loved so much
if you're younger, it may be harder to complete a list like this because you are constantly discovering new models
you never knew you liked, but you can still do research before you start, perhaps promise yourself you won't buy anything
for a while until you get a firm grasp on what you like
i'm an older collector but still through my years at this, i've learned quit a bit (yet haven't really deviated from the list of kicks i started with)
this way you won't be getting pulled every which way & end up with hundreds of pairs you look at one day and say
"i never really wanted most of these, what was i thinking?"
how many should be on "your list" - that's up to you, but no one has hundreds of favorites i will tell you now
lots of learning & research - yes - is necessary if one is about to dive into such an expensive hobby, it's not silly - it's smart
thanks I really appreciate a post like this, I'm younger but I actually prefer the older pairs over the new ones and I get what you mean I always see a different new pair I want and its hard to decide what to get! Also do you know any good places were I can search up on shoes and what not?

Last edited:
thanks I really appreciate a post like this, I'm younger but I actually prefer the older pairs over the new ones and I get what you mean I always see a different new pair I want and its hard to decide what to get! Also do you know any good places were I can search up on shoes and what not?

Sole Provider by Robert Jackson catalogs most of the Nike & Nike Air basketball sneakers released in chronological order with pics of each model
so that covers basketball shoes

for cross trainers, running shoes, etc...it's a little more difficult (wally hopp's google air trainer page has great pics)

honestly i think you should research the chronological order in which models released
so you get a sense of why they look like they do - it will help you understand what you're looking for

i grew up cataloging this stuff in my brain so NT & other sites/magazines/etc helped me brush up on a lot of stuff i may have forgotten
but you'll have to learn it all from scratch

Dudes really consciously start collecting?
I thought it was something that just happened.

that is a good comment

cause when i discovered nike actually 'retro'd' stuff - it was something i had been waiting for
i didn't just say one day - i pick this hobby

so in a sense, do what you gotta do my friend
try to listen to yourself & other people less (in terms of what models to collect)

we can just help guide you - not make up your mind for you

It's a tough time to start collecting with the price hikes. You're entering the game with Jordans going for $160-185 retail. I am collecting at a much slower rate now because of it; 2-3 pairs a year. My advice: don't buy up too much of the retro+ garbage. Go with the classics. Also, make sure to create an account with Eastbay, FootLocker, and FinishLine. It will make checking out much easier and increase your chances of copping.

It's a tough time to start collecting with the price hikes. You're entering the game with Jordans going for $160-185 retail. I am collecting at a much slower rate now because of it; 2-3 pairs a year. My advice: don't buy up too much of the retro+ garbage. Go with the classics. Also, make sure to create an account with Eastbay, FootLocker, and FinishLine. It will make checking out much easier and increase your chances of copping.

What if some of the shoes he likes happen to be reto+? And a lot of times those increase in value over time too. Buy what you like regardless of what others think.

What if some of the shoes he likes happen to be reto+? And a lot of times those increase in value over time too. Buy what you like regardless of what others think.

Then I'll be like, "Look at this kid's garbage collection" :lol:. Do you, though.

Last edited:
Honestly only cop what you want to wear. A bunch of the new kids are copping shoes with more colors than the rainbow and realize they can't wear them so they just sit in the box, which is a huge waste of 180+ $

Like someone already mentioned in this thread get what you like. Do not worry about things that are hyped to an extreme. I think a lot of the newer "Collectors" fall victims of shoes that are hyped too much and in return have a lot of buyer's regret on shoes. If you get what you like that will rarely happen and you will have shoes that tell a story about your style.

But First things first make a list of shoes that you have interest in. Let that be your blueprint for shoe pickups

Considering you're new to this, get what you like.

If its corny, and you KNOW its corny, dont even do it. Use common sense when in the field.

Every release isnt that serious, GET WHAT YOU LIKE......and keep them up-to-par/in good condition. Money spent could be money made in the future.

I hope you're not doing this to gain some cool points. Its fine when you're younger, but if you are in your 20s, just deciding to do this you need to picc up drugs and deal with it :lol:

Last edited:
Want some advice, get out before you start, get a new hobby. No disrespect but collecting is a little corny now. The hypebeasts, camping, raffles, twitter RSVP, kids buying to resell, poor quality, higher prices, it's just a bad time to get into it. But if your going to go ahead with it, I'd say to just go after og colorways, get some older retros if you have the money.

are you looking for sneakers to wear / look good / feel good OR are you looking at using sneakers as an investment (buy now to sell at profit later)?

if it's the latter, then I graciously bow out of this thread . . .

Make sure you have the time and money. Only buy what you like and post threads like this on the kicks forum before you get flamed

Back
Top Bottom