Starting out collecting

Boo this man. If you are asking that question right off the bat, you don't love shoes. You're doing it because it's what's in now. If you love shoes, you truly buy what you like. No one sets out to "collect" per se. You end up with what you have in the end. Anyone that does otherwise is a fool. Now be gone senseless newbie.

Last edited:
if youre looking for some of the classic nike dunk sb's, there are a lot of cheap deals on ebay nowadays.

time to do some ebay hunting.

after i passed the "30" milestone my sneaker buying decreased dramatically. i have better uses for my money other than shoe boxes that are going to collect dust in my closet. that being said, there are still some shoes that i want to replace. im still looking for another pair of DS Takeshi SB's to replace the ones I destroyed while painting my house. Those and a pair of Forbes SB's and I'm straight. I got no problem dropping $500/ea if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Was thinking about starting again. But this time, with kicks I would actually wear and not care about if it get's dinged. Nowadays, I'm all about flats and uggs
happy.gif

Last edited:
Boo this man. If you are asking that question right off the bat, you don't love shoes. You're doing it because it's what's in now. If you love shoes, you truly buy what you like. No one sets out to "collect" per se. You end up with what you have in the end. Anyone that does otherwise is a fool. Now be gone senseless newbie.
and so it begins
laugh.gif

and so it begins :lol:

Ok, I was a bit harsh on the kid. You gotta weed out the real ones ya know? *shrug*. But for you OP, here is some advice I'm going to give you that I developed over time. If you keep looking at the shoe 4,5,6 times and keep staring at it, buy it. That means you truly like the shoe. If you look at it once or twice and go thats fire, don't do it. It will sit and collect dust and you only liked it for the moment. I can't tell you how many people I know that did this and regretted wasting their money. Happy guys? That's my real tip to buying responsibly :D

Ok, I was a bit harsh on the kid. You gotta weed out the real ones ya know? *shrug*. But for you OP, here is some advice I'm going to give you that I developed over time. If you keep looking at the shoe 4,5,6 times and keep staring at it, buy it. That means you truly like the shoe. If you look at it once or twice and go thats fire, don't do it. It will sit and collect dust and you only liked it for the moment. I can't tell you how many people I know that did this and regretted wasting their money. Happy guys? That's my real tip to buying responsibly
happy.gif
Repped. Kid was about to go to school with sandals on your first response
laugh.gif

To be honest, quit while u ahead...if you insist though, get

What u like, not whats hyped. Worry about OG colors only.

I'd tell you that now is a terrible time to be getting into this. If you're thinking about going after older or rarer stuff, I'd say go for it. You'll probably meet some cool people in the niche threads here. On the other hand, if you're starting out with the new Lebrons, that's cool too. But I'd try not to get too reeled in. The nike machine is strong like bull.

Last edited:
Start off with Air Forces since you can get em for cheap right now. Wait on Jays and Nike Sportswear until the bubble pops

Cop shoes you actually like and can see yourself wearing.
Don't cop bc its a steal price:smile:{ ) or its a hot shoe, you won't wear.

That's the whole truth right there. Follow this advice and your regrets will be minimal.

For myself I don't see it as "collecting". Doesn't make a difference to me if a hundred kids at the mall are wearing the same shoes as me, or if I'm the only one in the world with that pair. I buy because
1) I think it looks good
2) the nostalgia it conjures up, reminding me of MJ in his heyday, or shoes I couldn't get when I was younger/had less disposable income. A bit of Peter Pan sydrome there (and for many others too, I gather).

NEVER collect because of "value". Let the 90's version of me with his stacks of worthless comic books and baseball cards be a lesson for everyone.

to be frank, da only reason i still cop is because im a collectivist, and prison of nostalgia.

90's babies shouldn't be a prison of nostalgia since da kicks now have no connection to da golden era that was da 90's.

You gotta ask how to be in the shoe game, nowadays? You're probably going to get roasted with a thread like this more than anything.

My advice?

Surf NT, or even pickyourshoes.com just to get the lay of the land as far as which shoes are popular/collectible. See what you like. Surf eBay, look at prices. Then come back to NT with any specific questions that aren't easily answerable within a few clicks of the computer mouse.

It's like any other hobby. Do your research first.

Really, though. Advice on how to collect something!? :smh:

Last edited:
to be frank, da only reason i still cop is because im a collectivist, and prison of nostalgia.

90's babies shouldn't be a prison of nostalgia since da kicks now have no connection to da golden era that was da 90's.

I'm an '80's baby, so I'm good by this standard. But really Ninja? You telling me people shouldn't like things that are before their time?

Buy what you like, not what others consider "rare."

I didn't do this and now I don't wear 50% of the shoes in my closet.

i don't know how old you are but if you're 18 or older i would say don't start in the first place, especially if your goal is to "collect" sneakers.

if you want to get a few... or 10 pairs of sneakers that you like and will actually wear, go for it. but don't buy all of this hype about how awesome sneakers are nowadays. you missed it. the glory days are gone.

buy shoes you'll actually wear, i made a mistake when i first started buying nikes/jordans where i bought whatever i thought was nice, i was wearing some shoes that weren't  my style at all
mean.gif
  i eventually got tired of my shoes but was lucky enough to sell most of them and donated the rest

Back
Top Bottom