Starting Out In Community College CHEAPER? Than Going Straight To A UNIVERSITY??? vol.1

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]Ok NT,[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]I was thinking of going to this university(UVU) which is fairly cheap I think(like 2k=12 credits)[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]to get my EMT I-basic certification, then eventually move it up to EMT-II(associates degree) maybe EMT-III(anyone directly associated with this would be of great help!)[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]But, since i know NOTHING about starting college[/color]
embarassed.gif
[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)], I forgot about "college general classes" or something like that, that everyone has to take[/color]
mad.gif

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]SOO NT, Whould it be cheaper to go my local CC for the "general classes" then transfer out to do my associates at the university...[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]since ive heard when getting the job, CommunityCollege Associates<University Associates,riight?[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]ANY help is deff. appreciated,[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]Ok NT,[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]I was thinking of going to this university(UVU) which is fairly cheap I think(like 2k=12 credits)[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]to get my EMT I-basic certification, then eventually move it up to EMT-II(associates degree) maybe EMT-III(anyone directly associated with this would be of great help!)[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]But, since i know NOTHING about starting college[/color]
embarassed.gif
[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)], I forgot about "college general classes" or something like that, that everyone has to take[/color]
mad.gif

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]SOO NT, Whould it be cheaper to go my local CC for the "general classes" then transfer out to do my associates at the university...[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]since ive heard when getting the job, CommunityCollege Associates<University Associates,riight?[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]ANY help is deff. appreciated,[/color]

dont know anything about EMT but in california its definitely cheaper to go to CC and then transfer to a university. its also much easier to get into UC's as a transfer student than straight out of high school.

dont know anything about EMT but in california its definitely cheaper to go to CC and then transfer to a university. its also much easier to get into UC's as a transfer student than straight out of high school.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

Yes, this is true.  However you will miss out on the dearly hyped "College Experience".

To be honest sometimes I think about what I missed out on, especially folks that did an entire four years of undergrad.

However, it hits me that I got my BA with zero debt while friends have $30k+ in loans
grin.gif
.  I'm cool, it wasn't the traditional "college experience" but I still had fun and I still built a solid network.

Yes, this is true.  However you will miss out on the dearly hyped "College Experience".

To be honest sometimes I think about what I missed out on, especially folks that did an entire four years of undergrad.

However, it hits me that I got my BA with zero debt while friends have $30k+ in loans
grin.gif
.  I'm cool, it wasn't the traditional "college experience" but I still had fun and I still built a solid network.

word. if money is an issue, go to CC. if not go straight to undergrad. it was worth the extra tuition, imo.

word. if money is an issue, go to CC. if not go straight to undergrad. it was worth the extra tuition, imo.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

grin.gif
I see..
how long did you stay at the community before you applied???
in general, how long does one have to stay at the CC to get into A university?

grin.gif
I see..

I read an article recently thats shown there is a higher non-transfer rate for community college students then there are for freshman dropouts at 4-year university's in California. From my own experience this is very true, a lot of people who go to CC's get stuck in a rut and eventually drop-out or stay there.

More HS councilor's are now encouraging students to try out the Freshman year at a college rather then go the CC route.

You might save the money by going the CC route, but STATISTICALLY you have a better chance of graduating with a degree by going straight to a 4-year college. Not bagging on the CC system, but just something to think about.

I read an article recently thats shown there is a higher non-transfer rate for community college students then there are for freshman dropouts at 4-year university's in California. From my own experience this is very true, a lot of people who go to CC's get stuck in a rut and eventually drop-out or stay there.

More HS councilor's are now encouraging students to try out the Freshman year at a college rather then go the CC route.

You might save the money by going the CC route, but STATISTICALLY you have a better chance of graduating with a degree by going straight to a 4-year college. Not bagging on the CC system, but just something to think about.

Originally Posted by KiiidThrash

grin.gif
I see..
A year, but I was focused.

as ekon one noted, it is easy to get "lost" in a CC.  Those that get out are the ones that are focused.

I didn't get into the four year university I wanted out of HS, went the CC route for a year, killed it.  Found out I could still accept one of my offers so I took it, just 'cause the CC route was too easy, personally.  It wasn't for monetary reasons, or else I would've stayed another year at a CC.

The best way to get into a university you want is to get a hold of an admissions counselor and start setting your path on how to get there.  It is easier to get into a good 4 year coming in as a transfer student as opposed to straight out of HS.  Just don't get lost.  You can save a lot of money, but there is a big HS continuation feel to a CC.

Still, zero debt =
smokin.gif

grin.gif
I see..

as ekon one noted, it is easy to get "lost" in a CC.  Those that get out are the ones that are focused.

I didn't get into the four year university I wanted out of HS, went the CC route for a year, killed it.  Found out I could still accept one of my offers so I took it, just 'cause the CC route was too easy, personally.  It wasn't for monetary reasons, or else I would've stayed another year at a CC.

The best way to get into a university you want is to get a hold of an admissions counselor and start setting your path on how to get there.  It is easier to get into a good 4 year coming in as a transfer student as opposed to straight out of HS.  Just don't get lost.  You can save a lot of money, but there is a big HS continuation feel to a CC.

Still, zero debt =
smokin.gif

Everybody says CC then UC (here in Cali) but i heard it wasn't that easy

although, my cousin did that to get into Berkeley and he's graduating this year...props to him

Everybody says CC then UC (here in Cali) but i heard it wasn't that easy

although, my cousin did that to get into Berkeley and he's graduating this year...props to him

grin.gif
I see..

Still, zero debt =
smokin.gif

see thats wassup
pimp.gif

BUT, I forgot to ask, the year spent there is just doing the general classes?(math,english,etc..)
and if i go the direct route i have to basically ADD another year to what i plan to stay because of the general classes..
OR
do i do my EMT thing and Generals at the same time at the university??

but for me i got a GED a year ago(HS dropout) and thats it,
what are the "general" requirements to get into a university? test? grades?
cause a uninformed person like me, i thought by getting a loan, showing up and handing it to them that was it..
because i only wanted a associates, so my debt or loan would be like 11-12k...
BTW THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS
i really appreciate the help nt

grin.gif
I see..

Still, zero debt =
smokin.gif

see thats wassup
pimp.gif

BUT, I forgot to ask, the year spent there is just doing the general classes?(math,english,etc..)
and if i go the direct route i have to basically ADD another year to what i plan to stay because of the general classes..
OR
do i do my EMT thing and Generals at the same time at the university??

but for me i got a GED a year ago(HS dropout) and thats it,
what are the "general" requirements to get into a university? test? grades?
cause a uninformed person like me, i thought by getting a loan, showing up and handing it to them that was it..
because i only wanted a associates, so my debt or loan would be like 11-12k...
BTW THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS
i really appreciate the help nt

An Associate's degree is typically 2 years worth of college, which is 60 credits. You can obtain this at a community college. However, in terms of a four year university, it's more of a Bachelor's degree. Just like the above poster said, while schooling at a community college you should get in touch with an admissions counselor because they usually have programs or bridges that allow a very easy transition from their school to a four year university around your area. General requirements can vary. For programs like I just mentioned sometimes they just ask you to complete the two year with a certain GPA and you're guaranteed a spot. Other times you can ignore these programs offered and just apply separately on your own to whatever school you desire and even before completing two years (if you want to transfer quicker), but they will not guarantee you a spot. Therefore, to really answer your question, you can basically just do everything at a community college if an Associates is just what you want. No one really transfers to a four year school to get an Associates, people transfer out of a community college for a Bachelor's. I hope this helps.

An Associate's degree is typically 2 years worth of college, which is 60 credits. You can obtain this at a community college. However, in terms of a four year university, it's more of a Bachelor's degree. Just like the above poster said, while schooling at a community college you should get in touch with an admissions counselor because they usually have programs or bridges that allow a very easy transition from their school to a four year university around your area. General requirements can vary. For programs like I just mentioned sometimes they just ask you to complete the two year with a certain GPA and you're guaranteed a spot. Other times you can ignore these programs offered and just apply separately on your own to whatever school you desire and even before completing two years (if you want to transfer quicker), but they will not guarantee you a spot. Therefore, to really answer your question, you can basically just do everything at a community college if an Associates is just what you want. No one really transfers to a four year school to get an Associates, people transfer out of a community college for a Bachelor's. I hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Nothin But Net 87

i get it..
i was just considering the university due to the fact that a University Associates>Community Associates, right?
ohwell.gif

because if this is true, 1year at a community then finish off at the university so the degree says i got it at the university= win..

Originally Posted by Nothin But Net 87

i get it..
i was just considering the university due to the fact that a University Associates>Community Associates, right?
ohwell.gif

because if this is true, 1year at a community then finish off at the university so the degree says i got it at the university= win..

Back
Top Bottom