Staten Island man dies after NYPD cop puts him in chokehold

Really though I have a question for those crying out WHY WOULD YOU RESIST?!?!

If you are doing your daily activities and heading to work in the morning, and someone comes and takes you by your arms, and completely kills any plans you had that day including making a living off your job, just to take you to a building where you will sit for 6 hours and then leave. All that is ok? No problem?
inb4 they're cops so they have unlimited power to mess with people.

If you are doing your daily activities and heading to work in the morning, and someone comes and takes you by your arms, and completely kills any plans you had that day including making a living off your job, just to take you to a building where you will sit for 6 hours and then leave. All that is ok? No problem?

Nobody is saying it's ok but cops aren't just rolling up on you and putting you in handcuffs for no reason most of the time. You're telling me if cops rolled up on the ceo of a large company, the ceo is gonna start putting up a fight and resisting arrest? Be smart

If you did absolutely nothing wrong & a cop attempts to put you in cuffs I wouldn't expect you to react like he's about to cart you off to the playboy mansion.

Nobody is saying it's ok but cops aren't just rolling up on you and putting you in handcuffs for no reason most of the time. You're telling me if cops rolled up on the ceo of a large company, the ceo is gonna start putting up a fight and resisting arrest? Be smart
as a black man... You should know that's not true...

And you saiD MOST... Like, why is there a most. :lol:

Dudes in here got the same mentality as the slaves that would take lashings and not fight back. Watch family members lynched and sisters raped by slave masters because they have "authority" over you. :smh:
repped...

They don't hear u ..

It's not ok. I'm gonna be pissed. But I'm smart enough to keep my mouth shut, not fight and get my lawyer. Snuffing a cop cuz I dd nothing wrong ain't gonna help me.

Yeah my day will still be ruined but **** I'd rather be alive and mad than dead and dead. I almost died once, it was no fun. I imagine actually dying would be even less fun.
If you did absolutely nothing wrong & a cop attempts to put you in cuffs I wouldn't expect you to react like he's about to cart you off to the playboy mansion.
You mean grinning and happy and cracking jokes? Of course not. Who in here said they enjoy being detained?
Dudes in here got the same mentality as the slaves that would take lashings and not fight back. Watch family members lynched and sisters raped by slave masters because they have "authority" over you.
mean.gif
You're free to go out there and fight back. Tell us how it goes. Also that's a completely different situation but feel free to keep making the comparison.

For all you folks that's on that "you should just let w cop detain you unnecessarily...

Posted on Tariq Nasheeds page this morning...

Check it out...
“Citizens may resist unlawful arrest to the point of taking an arresting officer's life if necessary.” Plummer v. State, 136 Ind. 306. This premise was upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States in the case: John Bad Elk v. U.S., 177 U.S. 529. The Court stated: “Where the officer is killed in the course of the disorder which naturally accompanies an attempted arrest that is resisted, the law looks with very different eyes upon the transaction, when the officer had the right to make the arrest, from what it does if the officer had no right. What may be murder in the first case might be nothing more than manslaughter in the other, or the facts might show that no offense had been committed.”

“An arrest made with a defective warrant, or one issued without affidavit, or one that fails to allege a crime is within jurisdiction, and one who is being arrested, may resist arrest and break away. lf the arresting officer is killed by one who is so resisting, the killing will be no more than an involuntary manslaughter.” Housh v. People, 75 111. 491; reaffirmed and quoted in State v. Leach, 7 Conn. 452; State v. Gleason, 32 Kan. 245; Ballard v. State, 43 Ohio 349; State v Rousseau, 241 P. 2d 447; State v. Spaulding, 34 Minn. 3621.

“When a person, being without fault, is in a place where he has a right to be, is violently assaulted, he may, without retreating, repel by force, and if, in the reasonable exercise of his right of self defense, his assailant is killed, he is justified.” Runyan v. State, 57 Ind. 80; Miller v. State, 74 Ind. 1.

“These principles apply as well to an officer attempting to make an arrest, who abuses his authority and transcends the bounds thereof by the use of unnecessary force and violence, as they do to a private individual who unlawfully uses such force and violence.” Jones v. State, 26 Tex. App. I; Beaverts v. State, 4 Tex. App. 1 75; Skidmore v. State, 43 Tex. 93, 903.

“An illegal arrest is an assault and battery. The person so attempted to be restrained of his liberty has the same right to use force in defending himself as he would in repelling any other assault and battery.” (State v. Robinson, 145 ME. 77, 72 ATL. 260).

“Each person has the right to resist an unlawful arrest. In such a case, the person attempting the arrest stands in the position of a wrongdoer and may be resisted by the use of force, as in self- defense.” (State v. Mobley, 240 N.C. 476, 83 S.E. 2d 100).

“One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).
I'm a fan of Tariq as well.  He has a wife and 2 kids, I highly doubt he would even follow his own example with this one below..........

“Citizens may resist unlawful arrest to the point of taking an arresting officer's life if necessary.” Plummer v. State, 136 Ind. 306

It's a bunch of folks in here complaining about not resisting but have yet to give one good reason to do so. Y'all talking out the side of your neck with this tough talk. Nobody wants to have a cop harrass them and arrest them on some bull, but your other option of fighting em is going to result in what? they'll see that you're a strong black man and take the cuffs off and walk away defeated?

Not that it changes anything, but I'm curious to know the results of the autopsy report.

Dudes in here got the same mentality as the slaves that would take lashings and not fight back. Watch family members lynched and sisters raped by slave masters because they have "authority" over you. :smh:
repped...

They don't hear u ..

Don't rep him for that nonsense. This is a different situation. And then why didn't the camera man jump in and help then?

Hey he's dead but at least he resisted arrest...

lol.. ****** love to compare EVERYTHING to slavery... 

this man would have been freed after a brief time in cuffs

a slave ain't going anywhere after a beating 

we all know resisting never ends well.... it's best to just get cuffed and deal with it legally after the fact 

what good ever came out of resisting? what's the best outcome?

exactly. not a damn thing. 

On August 9, 1997, Louima visited Club Rendez-Vous, a popular nightclub in East Flatbush. Late in the night, he and several other men interceded in a fight between two women. The police were called and several officers from the 70th Precinct were dispatched to the scene. There was a confrontation between the police, patrons and bystanders involved in the scuffle outside the club. The responding patrol officers included Justin Volpe, Charles Schwarz, Thomas Bruder, and Thomas Wiese, among others. In the ensuing scuffle, Volpe was struck by a "sucker-punch" and identified Louima as his assailant. Volpe arrested Louima on charges of disorderly conduct, obstructing government administration, and resisting arrest. Volpe later admitted he was mistaken about Louima being his assailant.[

The arresting officers beat Louima with their fists, nightsticks, and hand-held police radios on the ride to the station.[3] On arriving at the station house, he was strip-searched and put in a holding cell. The beating continued later, culminating with Louima being sexually assaulted in a bathroom at the 70th Precinct station house in Brooklyn. Volpe kicked Louima in the testicles, then, while Louima's hands were cuffed behind his back, he first grabbed onto and squeezed his testicles and then sodomized him with a broom handle. According to trial testimony, Volpe then walked through the precinct holding the bloody, excrement-stained instrument in his hand, bragging to a police sergeant that he "took a man down tonight.

How soon we forget :smh:

He resisted so I guess he deserved everything he got?
Btw, those asp batons are solid steel

You see that's some other **** right there. That cop deserves death. No man has any right to do that to another man no matter if the has a badge or not. Are you really comparing that to this story tho?

350x700px-LL-7ea78c5e_ReachingFullPotential.jpeg

Isnt this thread about a man dieing at the hands of NYPD? Im reaching how? cause Abner didnt die?

Y'all are really in here attempting to normalize the dehumanization of Black people.

Talking bout it's ok "just be a second class citizen forever. why make a fuss?"

Disgusting.

A man was murdered in cold blood on tape and y'all are really in here blaming him for his own death instead of the murderers.

Last edited:
He resisted so I guess he deserved everything he got?
Btw, those asp batons are solid steel
No one in this thread said if you resist you deserve whatever happens to you. We're saying if you resist don't be surprised if you get beat or shot.

I've seen firsthand what happens to people who resist. It's not pretty and they lump another charge on top of your original one and if you didn't have one you do now.

I've also seen what happens to people who comply. Things go a lot smoother for both parties. If you're innocent, resisting arrest will in no way help you.

You see that's some other **** right there. That cop deserves death. No man has any right to do that to another man no matter if the has a badge or not. Are you really comparing that to this story tho?

350x700px-LL-7ea78c5e_ReachingFullPotential.jpeg
Isnt this thread about a man dieing at the hands of NYPD? Im reaching how? cause Abner didnt die?
It's a reach because it has nothing to do with what happened here.

Different cops in different situations with different intents.

I'm sure everybody in here agrees that the man who choked him out is in the wrong, I hope nobody is arguing that fact but I think where the arguments are stemming from is could the actions of the victim prevented this from happening.

Although many people are complaining about the the people saying that he should not have resisted none of them can give a positive response about resisting. A few of us believe that if he had not resisted he likely would have spent some time behind a bar or two but later been released. In situations like this there's no clear cut win, but in comparison:

less than 48hrs in jail >>>>> attacked/beaten/killed by officers

The "he shouldn't have resisted arrest" talk is silly and unnecessary.

Rather then worry about that, I rather worry about the type of force used to subdue the guy in this situation that has been outlawed by nypd for years, and the total lack of compassion shown for the guy when he was laying on the floor.

Just in general, law enforcement needs better training and people skills because they got alot of dummies in the force that lack common sense and people skills and turn small situations into huge situations rather then analyze the situation and diffuse it properly.

Rather then worry about that, I rather worry about the type of force used to subdue the guy in this situation that has been outlawed by nypd for years, and the total lack of compassion shown for the guy when he was laying on the floor.

Just in general, law enforcement needs better training and people skills because they got alot of dummies in the force that lack common sense and people skills and turn small situations into huge situations rather then analyze the situation and diffuse it properly.

On top of that. He didn't "violently" resist. People are acting like he tried to punch an officer in the face and run, that clearly didn't happen.

Hell it still hasn't been made clear WHY they were cuffin him in the first place.

the in general portion, i agree with but how is the resisted portion unnecessary? understandably so there are a lot of cops out there with their heads bent on being overtly violent but for the most part they have no way of doing so if we don't give them a reason to. they will antagonize you and berate and belittle you to get you to react to them just so they can say "well he starting resisting/fighting back". the "don't resist" talk is necessary because we see what it results in. it's about weighin options.

but hey, tell me how resisting is more beneficial...

And since we know about these cops who lack compassion for others let's try to figure out a way to weed them out and get them off the force so that someone with better morals can take their places

Back
Top Bottom