Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

The broken bone thread had me thinking
(I broke my big toe on my left foot btw, but I went to the doc late and it had already healed messed up)

whenever I get on a treadmill and try to run, at about the 8-9 minute mark my left ankle starts to give out and I start to feel pain
would my toe being broke be the reason I can't run past that time?
would it have an affet on my motion/mechanics?

because of this whenever I hit the gym I typically just hit the treadmill at 4 speed and 15% interval for an hour, but I myself would rather just run moreoften
any help would be appreciated

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

Can anyone recommend me a good Fish Oil?
I use this, mix it in with my protein. Tastes good.

ligflaxoil32_lg.jpg
I was actually looking to pick up some pills.

Would you say there's any difference in how effective each is?
I started out with pills but you have to take about 3 a day (after each big meal) and its a lot to put into my busy schedule. In addition, youhave to carry them around with you and its not something I want to do so often. So I've done some research about actual fish/flax oil and never knew howto use it until I watched this video of an MMA fighter incorporating it into this protein. Its convenience, and you only have to take it twice a day. Itake it after my work out and before I sleep with regular whey protein and time release protein for bed time.

For those wondering how much to eat.. here is a good article:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/

I too have cut down on Red Meats.. I maybe consume a steak once every 2 weeks or 2x a month. Chicken breast and Fish/Tuna do it for me.

How do you all cook your Chicken Breasts? Pan Fry with Pam/EVOO and some seasoning? I like this method compared to the George Foreman - since the GF is ahassle to clean!

ligflaxoil32_lg.jpg

I started out with pills but you have to take about 3 a day (after each big meal) and its a lot to put into my busy schedule. In addition, you have to carry them around with you and its not something I want to do so often. So I've done some research about actual fish/flax oil and never knew how to use it until I watched this video of an MMA fighter incorporating it into this protein. Its convenience, and you only have to take it twice a day. I take it after my work out and before I sleep with regular whey protein and time release protein for bed time.
Yeah, I guess the liquid is a lot more convenient.

And it'll fit in perfect, since after my workout and before bed is when I have my protein shakes anyway.

Thanks, man.

I've been trying.

This is most of the stuff I been using almost everyday for the last month or so:
iTouch
I run outdoors (Kinda claustrophobic, so I can't run indoors)
Beaded jump rope
5 lb'ers (I run with these. Gonna pick up some d handle dumbbells this week. I hate wrist and vestweights)
15 lb'ers
50lb'er for curling
Stacker 2
Met-Rx Big 100 meal replacement protein bars
Weight Gainer 2200 Gold (Don't take it too much, maybe twice a week)

I embarrassed to take pics of my bench area. It's a pig sty. So I'll take pics when I clean it up.

It's an Olympic bench I got from Sears for $300 about 2 years ago.

HIIT, can become boring real fast, if you have access to a pool, i would use swimming as an alternative.

slow lap
fast lap
etc...

plus... swimming burns way more calories than running and works all muscle group.

good looks durden. at this pace, this will be at 10 pages tomorrow.

maybe every 10-20 pages, you could put a summary, and edit the first post with links to each summary.

Some basic exercises you can choose from to incorporate/revamp your workout:

Back
- Barbell Row (reverse/overhand)
- Bumbell Row
- Deadlift (bent knees/stiffed legged)
- Weighted Pull Ups (reverse, close, wide)
- Lat Pull Down (T-Bar, Triangle bar)
- Seated Reverse Fly
- Power Clean (do these target the back?)

Bicep

- 21's (BB, DB)
- One arm cross body curl
- EZ bar curl
- Static arm curl
- In - Out Hammer curl
- Strip set curl (heavy - light, light - heavy)

Chest
- Push Ups (weighted) (wide, diamond, sliding, clap, one hand, decline)
- Bench Press (flat, incline, decline) (BB, DB)
- Fly (Machine, BB, DB, Cable) (flat, incline, decline)

Tricep
- Cable pull down
- Chair dips (leg up)
- Skull Crusher
- Side-Tri-Rise (bodyweight)
- One arm overhead raise

Shoulder
- Military Press (DB, BB) (seated, standing)
- Lateral Raise (DB, BB)
- Font Raise (DB, BB)
- Upright Row (DB, BB)
- Fly-Row-Press
- Shoulder shrugs
- Shoulder Fly

Legs
- Squats (front, back)
- Lunges (DB, BB) (reverse, one legged, normal)
- Calf Raise
- Knee/Hamstring extension (warm-up)

Abs
- I need a decent AB workout, anyone got one I can borrow?
- P90x Ab Ripper X
- P90x + Ab/core (this is intense, might do it 3x a week)

Cardio
- HIIT
- Slow cardio (30-40mins) 50%

Misc.
Used for off-days or days when you want to go the gym when your not supposed to
- Complexes
- Tabata Protocol
- Yoga

(maybe do one of these 2-3x a month)

I'm pretty sure that pills are more expensive than oil. Pick up an oil blend like Vega or Udo's Oil blend and pour some over a saladduring the day. It's a great meal and provides plenty of unsaturated fats. Or, you can eat a handful of nuts like almonds or walnuts daily. They'rehigh in unsaturated fats as well.
In terms of effectiveness, I'm not the one to ask. Verynecessary gave a response before, so ask him about it.

Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

Originally Posted by FrankDolla

I've cut out unnecessary snacks, I no longer eat red meat or pork. I also stopped eating after 7pm and realized that I'm never really hungry after that time and I was just eating to eat instead of nourishment. I'll be joining a gym soon and I'll be back to get some tips.
Red meat and pork is not bad for you. Fats are good
Fats are good, but high fat and high carb don't work well together. You need to pick one source of fuel for your body. Going higher fat whilegetting carbs from fruits and vegetables isn't a bad idea, especially if you're looking for losing fat. Basically, just cut out grains and starchyveggies for a while and see how you react. Keto isn't good for your body in the long run. You can do 'low carb' by just avoiding grains andstarches which is basically great for losing fat and gaining muscle.

Originally Posted by dead in 09

what's better:
Jog for 30 seconds then sprint for 30 seconds.
or
Jog for 1 minute then sprint for 30 seconds.
IMO, I'd say you should walk instead of jog.

That way, you get more out of your sprint.
interesting. That's the first time I've seen somebody mention walking during HIIT. I know it's just an opinion, but can anybody cosign this?
Jogging keeps your heart rate up longer. If you can't sustain jogging during the 'rest' period, then walk. It's better to golonger for hiit than to go at it for only 5 minutes. But over time, work to make it so that you're strictly jogging and running.

what's better:
or
Start out with 30/60 spring/jog and try to go for longer. When you can do more sets, then work on lowering the time in between. So when you reachto say, 8 sets, then work on cutting down the time spent jogging.

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

any recommended sups
Food. When starting out, supplements are completely unnecessary. Once you get experience, then worry about improving through supplementation,which still, isn't necessary. I'm not saying that it's not helpful, but it's definitely not necessary to improve. Also, goals determine whatsupplements that you're looking for. First, clean up your diet and be more active. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, eat a salad for dinner insteadof fast food. Lifestyle changes like that make a big difference in the long run.

I3 wrote:

[linkhttp://www.wannabebig.com...uestion-or-is-it/[/link]

I too have cut down on Red Meats.. I maybe consume a steak once every 2 weeks or 2x a month. Chicken breast and Fish/Tuna do it for me.

How do you all cook your Chicken Breasts? Pan Fry with Pam/EVOO and some seasoning? I like this method compared to the George Foreman - since the GF is a hassle to clean!
link doesnt work for me.....

Im trying to gain weight... like lots of it... can someone recommend me something i can eat everyday? Peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Tuna sandwich? stuff ineed to stay away from? i eat a lot but i eat slow... cant gain weight for the life of me, but i can lose it with the greatest of ease....

Just a heads up for everyone who doesn't have a gym membership, you don't need one, atleast not initially. First, try seeing how you do on a bodyweightworkout. They're quick and effective.

I'd suggest focusing on 5 moves: push ups, pull ups/chin ups, squats, lunges, and planks.

If you want a more advanced routine to start out with, work on explosive moves such as jump squats or burpees to keep your heart rate up.

Question for people that do HIIT...

what's better:

or

30/30 would kill you more because you have less time resting at a lower heart rate (30 seconds). This is only for the advanced HIIT folks. Whenyou start from scratch, take it slow like a 30 sec sprint, 1 min jog.

Note that HIIT is an intense program...warm up and stretch before to avoid potential injuries.

Originally Posted by kidjustice19

I3 wrote:

How do you all cook your Chicken Breasts? Pan Fry with Pam/EVOO and some seasoning? I like this method compared to the George Foreman - since the GF is a hassle to clean!

Im trying to gain weight... like lots of it... can someone recommend me something i can eat everyday? Peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Tuna sandwich? stuff i need to stay away from? i eat a lot but i eat slow... cant gain weight for the life of me, but i can lose it with the greatest of ease....

Drink a lot of milk. I've heard some pretty good stories about GOMAD(Gallon of Milk A Day). Basically, you do as it says and drink a gallon aday. It's an easy way to get calories in, but you have to worry about dehydration and such. If you'd like to do something similar, aim for a quart aday, or work up to a half gallon at most. I don't recommend this exactly, but an easy way to get in clean calories is with oils. Have a shot of olive oilor another healthy oil(coconut, flax, hemp) a few times a day. They're clean, low glycemic calories that are easy to take in. Oils, nuts, seeds, andfreshly squeezed juices are very beneficial.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

I3 wrote:

Im trying to gain weight... like lots of it... can someone recommend me something i can eat everyday? Peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Tuna sandwich? stuff i need to stay away from? i eat a lot but i eat slow... cant gain weight for the life of me, but i can lose it with the greatest of ease....
Drink a lot of milk. I've heard some pretty good stories about GOMAD(Gallon of Milk A Day). Basically, you do as it says and drink a gallon a day. It's an easy way to get calories in, but you have to worry about dehydration and such. If you'd like to do something similar, aim for a quart a day, or work up to a half gallon at most. I don't recommend this exactly, but an easy way to get in clean calories is with oils. Have a shot of olive oil or another healthy oil(coconut, flax, hemp) a few times a day. They're clean, low glycemic calories that are easy to take in. Oils, nuts, seeds, and freshly squeezed juices are very beneficial.

good to know, thanks....

I3 wrote:

To Bulk or to Cut, That is the Question - or is it? |Wannabebig

Sorry I messed up on the link.

I too am trying to gain weight, and that article really does a good job of explaning gaining/losing in a simplistic way.

Basically you want to increase everything you eat. Carbs (oats, bread, vegetables, fruits etc..), Proteins.. and Fats.

Im not a fan of completely cutting out carbs on cutting diets. From what ive heard the Keto diet is mostly effective towards obese individuals and in the longrun its not healthy. If you are carb-concious I recommend just carb-cycling, where your carb levels vary by the level of training, example high carbs will beon training days, low carb on non-training/rest days. How many carbs? That will depend on your overall goal and caloric surplus/deficit.

Don't try to completely cut out carbs, you'll feel foggy, lost and miserable. Trust me i've been there
roll.gif

Currently im bulking at around 2800kcal as a baseline then i'll increase/decrease (most likely increase) depending on my level of weight gain/fat gain.

Originally Posted by ZeroGravity23

HIIT, can become boring real fast, if you have access to a pool, i would use swimming as an alternative.

slow lap
fast lap
etc...

plus... swimming burns way more calories than running and works all muscle group.
Source? When I injured my foot during sparring, I swam for a while as an alternative. I found nothing but contradicting studies.

I3 wrote:

my staples are eggs, chicken, fish (not daily), oatmeal, milk, brown rice, natural peanut butter, potatoes and other veggies
to gain weight you need a caloric surplus
use this to figure out your maintenance calories and build on that
http://www.freedieting.co...s/calorie_calculator.htm

Yeah I tried Keto for about a month and DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. Made me feel like crap and my couldn't think straight

Originally Posted by CaponeCartels

Originally Posted by saxman2112

Hopping in this. I actually just got back from the gym. Wasn't nearly as productive as I would have liked, but I'm still recovering from Saturday's deadlifting.
I hated doing them at first, but after a while they became my favorite.
What's your max?
I haven't maxed out in a long time (mainly because I haven't lifted in...oh, let's call it a year and a half), but my work sets were3x5 @ 185 lbs, if that gives you any indication.

I too have cut down on Red Meats.. I maybe consume a steak once every 2 weeks or 2x a month.

Cut back from 2x a month? Whats the reasoning for this? 2x a month for red meat isnt bad at alll.

good looks durden. at this pace, this will be at 10 pages tomorrow.

maybe every 10-20 pages, you could put a summary, and edit the first post with links to each summary.
Yeah I figure i'll put bookmarks for lengthy/important discussions. Any routines, etc. Im just going to copy/paste, give credit to the posterand put into the 1st post. That way all routines, exercises can just be in one post and referred back to it easily.

Fats are good, but high fat and high carb don't work well together. You need to pick one source of fuel for your body. Going higher fat while getting carbs from fruits and vegetables isn't a bad idea, especially if you're looking for losing fat. Basically, just cut out grains and starchy veggies for a while and see how you react. Keto isn't good for your body in the long run. You can do 'low carb' by just avoiding grains and starches which is basically great for losing fat and gaining muscle.
"Fats burn in a carbohydrate flame" though. They need each other to be effective. One can be reduced, but obviously not by a massiveamount.

Consume 130g of carbohydrates a day to avoid ketosis. Thats as low as many people would recommend on a low carb diet.

A 100% whole wheat bagel covered with peanut butter. Its about 430 total calories, 55 carb, 18 protein and 19 fat (mostly unsaturated fats too)

Back
Top Bottom