Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by 5thGearidah

Originally Posted by Rjjr711

^^^ I think HIIT burns calories long after your workout much more so than jogging at moderate paces so I think even though you burn the same calories in the gym the HIIT is much better
not necessarily

[h2]Elemental Fat Loss: Six Weeks to Grecian Proportions[/h2]http://www.wannabebig.com...-to-grecian-proportions/

The way I look at it, and I could certainly be wrong, is comparing the physiques of say a sprinter and that of a distance runner.  If I want to have that sprinter type physique I am not going to run long periods of time or distance.  HIIT to me is more of a sprinter's type training.

My gym rant:

I'm in the gym the other day and this guy is doing pull ups and pushups inside the squat rack. (There are pull up stations all over the gym) I ask him how many he has left, he says two. On his last set, he actually does a final set of pushups inside the squat rack instead of getting out of the way and doing his pushups outside the squat rack.

That's annoying but I've seen much worse. If I was training a client and he was pulling that when there's a pullup bar available, I'd just tell him I need to the squat rack and ask him to move. Some people aren't trying to be rude, they're just really oblivious to gym etiquitte. Other people really get a kick out of making the world wait for them, but that's few and far between.

I had the opposite, I was trying to push through 2 last sets of heavy squats. Kid come up and stands behind me while I'm in the middle of my set. Kind of broke my concentration cause I could see he was standing there to wait until I was done to ask me the obvious. So he asks how many sets, I tell him one more and he goes "OK" and just stands there like 3 feet away from the rack. Gym was dead empty so it's not like I was surrounded by people that I had to tune out it was just me and him and he waited the entire time I rested and stood there while I started my last set. It actually made me push a little harder. I was gonna squat 10 reps and pushed it to 15 just to spite him a little and make him wait longer, but I couldn't take it anymore after that. It's tough to train where I work cause if I was just a member I could just ask him to wait somewhere else and not worry about offending him or having him file a complaint against me or something. He's a nice kid, just kinda clueless.

Originally Posted by Durden7

to anyone else trying to put on lbs... GOMAD - gallon of milk a day, ontop of your current above-average diet + sufficient water intake.
It's an additional 2500 cals a day... no sweat
Thats liquid calories though.  Theres better ways to get the additional calories in.

Id like for you to prove me wrong on the first one and you cant prove me wrong on the second one.  Im not your "fam" by the way.

Sure it's liquid.. but is it not a whole food? How else can you get an additional 2500 calories in a day ON TOP of your current diet. Without hitting KFC, I really dont think there are better ways.

Can someone link me to an instructional (or give me a step by step) for deadlifting?
I told this chick at the gym that next time I'm there I'd teach her
roll.gif
...and I mean, I know how I just don't think I could properly give her the points needed

Man...I'm feeling terrible right now. I remember some dude talking before about if you feel guilty after consuming a big and unhealthy meal. Today I had to help some family move in all day and they got a !$#$ load of wings, and I had no other choice for dinner so I had to eat. Didn't have to pig out but I did
laugh.gif
I swear I ate about 40 wings no lie. Started the day well with a healthy breakfast of some oatmeal and yogurt, then I made myself a chicken breast with whole wheat pasta and vegatables. Tomorrow will not be a fun day. Have to go for about a 10 mile jog and hit the weights hard. I'm not saying you can't have a cheat day here and there, but mostly everyone in here have a goal which they want to achieve, and it sucks when you take a step forward only to take two back. I always try to cook healthy for myself, and am almost always cooking a totally different meal than the rest of my family who are totally careless about what they eat.

Originally Posted by Rjjr711

^^^ I think HIIT burns calories long after your workout much more so than jogging at moderate paces so I think even though you burn the same calories in the gym the HIIT is much better
not necessarily

[h2]Elemental Fat Loss: Six Weeks to Grecian Proportions[/h2]http://www.wannabebig.com...-to-grecian-proportions/

Thats highly impractical and very ineffective though.

to anyone else trying to put on lbs... GOMAD - gallon of milk a day, ontop of your current above-average diet + sufficient water intake.
Thats liquid calories though.  Theres better ways to get the additional calories in.
fam your wrong on both accounts
like, really wrong.

Id like for you to prove me wrong on the first one and you cant prove me wrong on the second one.  Im not your "fam" by the way.

first off, you sound like a straight up lame w/ your "im not your fam" 
roll.gif

Second, all that article is saying is that there are more ways to lose weight than HIIT...because everyone is on that train, and its not really doing that much more for you than steady cardio.
and if you havent heard of GOMAD (google it) your a joke....like seriously, its really common among weight lifters.   Saying liquid calories are going to make a difference shows your lack of common sense.  Ask Ripptoe.

brettTHEjett wrote:
Can someone link me to an instructional (or give me a step by step) for deadlifting?
I told this chick at the gym that next time I'm there I'd teach her
roll.gif
...and I mean, I know how I just don't think I could properly give her the points needed
check out any of the Ripptoe vids

^ i say don't prep and have fun. That's what you're there for, anyway? But yeah....*!@# this weekend did me in. New PR in DL's today though ironically after the weekend of all weekends. 305x5.
Question: So I'm doing 5x5 on almost everything I do now, which is mostly compound workouts. Practically no cardio, but I'm eating at a deficit...my quip is that I'm not really burning that much fat though. I really needa lose these moobs. Suggestions? HIIT on off days in between my lifts? Less carbs, even? 
eek.gif
 I unno. Where's wj4 ?

brettTHEjett wrote:
Durden7 wrote:

Durden7 wrote:
to anyone else trying to put on lbs... GOMAD - gallon of milk a day, on top of your current above-average diet + sufficient water intake.

Sure it's liquid.. but is it not a whole food? How else can you get an additional 2500 calories in a day ON TOP of your current diet. Without hitting KFC, I really dont think there are better ways.

Milk isn't whole food.  Why would you need an additional 2500 calories in addition to what you actually need.  Why would you need to consume more than 4000 calories?  There arent better ways?  Theres a ton of ways to eat additional calories that arent liquid.  Liquid calories will always be secondary to actual food.

Second, all that article is saying is that there are more ways to lose weight than HIIT...because everyone is on that train, and its not really doing that much more for you than steady cardio.
and if you havent heard of GOMAD (google it) your a joke....like seriously, its really common among weight lifters.   Saying liquid calories are going to make a difference shows your lack of common sense.  Ask Ripptoe.
I fully understand that there are more ways to lose weight than HIIT.  Ive never said that HIIT was the be-all end-all.  What i said was that the low-intensity cardio is impractical and in-effecive.  The low intensity "fat-burning" stage is a very poor way of losing fat.

So youre saying that if someone hasnt heard of GOMAD theyre a joke?  Thats an interesting comparison.  I guess there are a lot of people who are jokes then, huh?  Where did you get that I said that liquid calories isnt going to make a difference?  Are you reading what you want to read and not what im saying?  If I have a lack of common sense then you must have a lack of scientific knowledge.

Are you someone who believes that Ripptoe is a lifting idol?

brettTHEjett wrote:
Durden7 wrote:

Durden7 wrote:
to anyone else trying to put on lbs... GOMAD - gallon of milk a day, on top of your current above-average diet + sufficient water intake.

Milk isn't whole food.  Why would you need an additional 2500 calories in addition to what you actually need.  Why would you need to consume more than 4000 calories?  There arent better ways?  Theres a ton of ways to eat additional calories that arent liquid.  Liquid calories will always be secondary to actual food.

i'm not questioning you... but i would like an explanation of why. it makes no sense to me that liquid calories would be secondary to solid ones... i would actually think that liquids would be more easily absorbed by the digestive system.
so you're saying if i took a chicken breast and salad dinner... and pureed the %@+% out of it... until it was liquid... it would then be less beneficial to me? (i know this is playing devil's advocate... but im curious as to where you draw the line).

p.s. what do you have against rippetoe?

brettTHEjett wrote:
Durden7 wrote:

Durden7 wrote:

i'm not questioning you... but i would like an explanation of why. it makes no sense to me that liquid calories would be secondary to solid ones... i would actually think that liquids would be more easily absorbed by the digestive system.
so you're saying if i took a chicken breast and salad dinner... and pureed the $!!* out of it... until it was liquid... it would then be less beneficial to me? (i know this is playing devil's advocate... but im curious as to where you draw the line).

brettTHEjett wrote:
Durden7 wrote:

Durden7 wrote:
Thats liquid calories though.� Theres better ways to get the additional calories in.

Id like for you to prove me wrong on the first one and you cant prove me wrong on the second one.� Im not your "fam" by the way.

Milk isn't whole�food.� Why would you need an additional 2500 calories in addition to what you actually need.��Why would you need to consume more than 4000 calories?� There arent better ways?� Theres�a ton of ways to eat additional calories that arent liquid.� Liquid calories�will always be secondary to actual food.

and if you havent heard of GOMAD (google it) your a joke....like seriously, its really common among weight lifters.�� Saying liquid calories are going to make a difference shows your lack of common sense.� Ask Ripptoe.
I fully understand that there are more ways to lose weight than HIIT.� Ive never said that HIIT was the be-all end-all.� What i said was that the�low-intensity cardio is impractical and in-effecive.� The low intensity "fat-burning" stage is a�very poor way of losing fat.

So youre saying that if someone hasnt heard of GOMAD theyre a joke?��Thats an interesting comparison.� I guess there are a lot of people who are jokes then, huh?��Where did you get that�I said that liquid calories isnt going to make a difference?� Are you reading what you want to read and�not what im saying?� If I have a lack of common sense then you must have a lack of scientific knowledge.

Are you someone who believes that Ripptoe is a lifting idol?

��
this is all I have for you man
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

brettTHEjett wrote:
Durden7 wrote:

Durden7 wrote:

so you're saying if i took a chicken breast and salad dinner... and pureed the %@+% out of it... until it was liquid... it would then be less beneficial to me? (i know this is playing devil's advocate... but im curious as to where you draw the line).

Just because its dissolved more rapidly by the body doesnt mean its better than something that is slower.  The digestion time frame between non-clear dense liquids (milk) and actual food is pretty minimal so its not like youd gain a serious advantage by drinking the calories instead of eating them.  Theres a lot of vitamins, minerals, and other kinds of nutrients (fiber as a great example) that arent in liquid form so youd miss those if you drank something similar to a food. 

I dont know if its less beneficial to you based upon what youre trying to get out of it.  In a situation like that, the differences between the 2 (food vs. liquid) would be so minimal that I highly doubt anyone would even be able to tell the difference.

Are you saying that liquids are better than solid foods?

I dont have anything against Ripptoe.  Its his "disciples" that view his word as god that I find obnoxious.

brettTHEjett wrote:
Durden7 wrote:

Durden7 wrote:

You basically answered your own question without knowing it. Solid foods > liquid because: 
-Like you said, it's easily absorbed and metabolized, so it does not require as  much effort to metabolize. This will indefinitely mess with your metabolism. 

I am at a plateau. I have been doing P90X and my diet is clean. I need have dropped from 315 to 275 over the last 8 months. I need to get my body going again. HELP!

I just started juicing. No not as in steroids, but as in juicing vegetables. Slacking off in the winter made me gain unwanted weight. I noticed drinking vegetable juice gives me the energy I need to work out (treadmill, push ups and light weights) when I'm on my little starvation diet. Plus taking fiber such as Metamucil (Sugar free) helps keep me regular when I'm not eating much.

brettTHEjett wrote:
Durden7 wrote:

Durden7 wrote:

Just because its dissolved more rapidly by the body doesnt mean its better than something that is slower.  The digestion time frame between non-clear dense liquids (milk) and actual food is pretty minimal so its not like youd gain a serious advantage by drinking the calories instead of eating them.  Theres a lot of vitamins, minerals, and other kinds of nutrients (fiber as a great example) that arent in liquid form so youd miss those if you drank something similar to a food. 

I dont know if its less beneficial to you based upon what youre trying to get out of it.  In a situation like that, the differences between the 2 (food vs. liquid) would be so minimal that I highly doubt anyone would even be able to tell the difference.

I dont have anything against Ripptoe.  Its his "disciples" that view his word as god that I find obnoxious.

i wasnt claiming anything, just wanted to understand why solid > liquid. and given your reasons... i def. see how a GOMAD is very justifiable... eating 2500 clean calories is hard and time consuming... not to mention more costly. + studies show milk has some property which stimulates muscle growth. not saying im going to do it, just wanted to learn the most i could... thanks.
pimp.gif

keepzdasneakz wrote:

You basically answered your own question without knowing it. Solid foods > liquid because: 
-Like you said, it's easily absorbed and metabolized, so it does not require as  much effort to metabolize. This will indefinitely mess with your metabolism. 

Im pretty sure your concepts about metabolism are wrong... moreover, no one is going 100% liquid here... so you're taking things out of context.

p.s. your last sentence made NO sense.

brettTHEjett wrote:
Durden7 wrote:

Durden7 wrote:

i wasnt claiming anything, just wanted to understand why solid > liquid. and given your reasons... i def. see how a GOMAD is very justifiable... eating 2500 clean calories is hard and time consuming... not to mention more costly. + studies show milk has some property which stimulates muscle growth. not saying im going to do it, just wanted to learn the most i could... thanks.
pimp.gif

keepzdasneakz wrote:

Im pretty sure your concepts about metabolism are wrong... moreover, no one is going 100% liquid here... so you're taking things out of context.

p.s. your last sentence made NO sense.

pimp.gif

GOMAD is the milk plus the normal food requirements so if eating 2500 clean calories is difficult without milk its going to be difficult with milk.  (Also, 2500 clean calories isnt difficult at all.  Thats the recommended amount of a lot of people)

Milk is certainly good for the body, but too much can be detrimental.

Edit:  If youre refering to an additional 2500 calories of food (instead of milk) then theres a case for liquid calories BUT I question the need for an additional 2500 calories to begin with.  Getting a few thousand more calories itsnt that difficult with food.  Theres a lot of good, calorie dense foods.

^^^^^
just stop man. GOMAD is just a way to get more calories...its been proven to work.
If its not your thing, fine...but stop acting like you know it all...because you clearly dont.

Back
Top Bottom