Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

just started working out. i have been focusing on my chest and arms for the most part ( skinny upper body) trying to get my way to benching 45s which is sad because i was doing those way back in HS.

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Originally Posted by Mr4thQuarter

Originally Posted by Caerus

Why do you say this? Jw...

About the decline? It isolates and builds the lower chest which gives the droopy chest look due to excessive lower chest build or lack of upper chest development.

Lol. Cool broscience bro.
There are only 2 parts to the chest. Pec Minor, Pec Major.

Only way to build a big chest...Heavy BB and DB Bench.

Broscience?
laugh.gif

It's fact.

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by I3

For those scientific dudes..

Whats the effect on your vertical when one undergoes 2-3-4 cardio sessions a week; this could be on a bike, treadmill, jog etc.. I've read that continuous cardio will dampen your vertical or not recruit the fast twitch fibres.

The reason I ask, is I want to improve my stamina and conditioning on the court and after I lift weights, the cardio equipment is just downstairs and its convenient. I hear LeBron doing 20miles on the bike, but obviously his genes > mine.

In terms of improving my stamina and conditioning - would sprinting (HIIT) be better overall? Should I just lets say do 2x sessions of HIIT (sprints) a week on top of basketball? I really want to increase my stamina and fourth quarter (something LeBron lacks, so me > him).

HELP ME!
Low intensity aerobic work can cause fast twitch(responsible for strength and power) muscle fibers to act like slow twitch fibers(weaker, not explosive, aerobic). There isn't much to be gained by doing long slow distance cardio unless that is your sport(marathoning, cycling, etc.). For power based sports, you're better off with anaerobic energy system work such as sprints. That is, if you want to be as strong and explosive as possible. When it comes to programming the sprints, you want to make sure you're introducing variety pretty regularly(intensity, distance, rest intervals, uphill/downhill/flat, etc.) to keep making gains. A sound anaerobic conditioning program with sound strength programming is the best combination. Also, keeping the reps during strength work to 6 reps or fewer with explosive concentrics and controlled eccentrics will help stimulate more motor units and further enhance your neurological efficiency. Higher rep sets are also another way to get the fast twitch fibers to act like slow twitch fibers

Thanks Neal.

I will definitely take on board what you said, especially about variety in HIIT, distance, rest interval, intensity etc.  I guess with the weightlifting aspect, 6 reps or less as heavy as you can with correct form?  I think that's as simple as it gets. 

I've never been a fan of the 10min cardio sessions after weightlifting.  I mean aesthetically it may help?  But im really after that explosivity and strength.  You don't necessarily have to have the biggest muscles in the world to be explosive - but you can tell if someone just has that 'spring' in their step whilst on the court.
Yup, I never prescribe aerobic cardio for any of my clients.  If you're looking for improved athleticism for basketball, agility drills and O-lifts are your friend (ONLY if you have the prerequisite strength and technique, and MOBILITY - which I'd say 90% of the athletic population doesn't).

Originally Posted by mrdieselfuel09

Best way to build mass in the upper body and at the same time keep a toned stomach? And any GNC supplements you guys suggest?

Appreciate the help NT.
Lean bulk. 500 cals above maintenance.

Supplements:
ON 100% gold standard (whey)
Multi-V (Animal pak / Orange Triad)
Fish Oil - for joints, health
Pre-workout - dont use one but people hype up Napalm or their newest product, minigun.

Originally Posted by I3

Thanks Neal.

I will definitely take on board what you said, especially about variety in HIIT, distance, rest interval, intensity etc.  I guess with the weightlifting aspect, 6 reps or less as heavy as you can with correct form?  I think that's as simple as it gets. 

I've never been a fan of the 10min cardio sessions after weightlifting.  I mean aesthetically it may help?  But im really after that explosivity and strength.  You don't necessarily have to have the biggest muscles in the world to be explosive - but you can tell if someone just has that 'spring' in their step whilst on the court.

6 reps or less per set. Do the concentric as explosive per possible. Even if the bar speed is not very fast, the intention of moving the weight fast(activating more motor units) will cause the desired effects to occur.
For being lean, doing anaerobic work and controlling your diet will yield the best results, with the most bang for your buck coming from diet.

Explosiveness comes from an ability to activate the higher threshold motor units(fast twitch) with a high strength to weight ratio. That means if you're not lean, you're not as explosive as you can be. If you're carrying nonfunctional mass(mass that doesn't help with what you do), it will decrease efficiency. 

One concept that will help with strength development: strength is a skill. If you consider it that way, it will change your mind about work capacity/strength/skill development. Look at the work John Broz is doing with his lifters. Very good work that goes against everything that 'fitness gurus' say, yet his athletes are some of the best in this country. Just some food for thought.

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Other than Bench (Flat and incline) and Flys (flat and incline) and possibly dips.....What other exercises are there?
There are endless variations of movements that can be done. There are countless variations of dips and push ups(rings, adjusting hand position, weighted, planche, one arm, etc. ) Saying you can only use Parallel/V-Bar Dips and Flat/Incline Bench Press is completely false. Ring flies can be done in various orientations depending on the desired effect. The goal is to load the musculature properly, which can be done by altering the levers of the body as well.

Just broke my collarbone
tired.gif
gonna be out 6 weeks+
after hitting the gym hard for the past couple months, what can I do to keep from losing all that muscle?

ive been using the on gold standard whey, and the wheybolic from gnc what are some other good protein powders im thinking abt either syntha 6, muscle tech, or dymatize anybody recommend any of these products im just looking for something different

Whats everyones opinion on coffee. I only put one scoop of sugar and minimal creamer, is it ok to drink regularly?

Originally Posted by CJ003

Whats everyones opinion on coffee. I only put one scoop of sugar and minimal creamer, is it ok to drink regularly?
I just drink it black with maybe a half teaspoon of sugar if that. I drink a cup everyday.

What part of the game is this? 125 lbs female repping 90 lbs DBS..
pimp.gif

Besides jacked 3d, anyone got any recommendations for a good preworkout sup that doesn't have Dimethylamylamine?

I want a good pump but I don't want to risk testing pos on a pee test. (employed by the Department of Defense)

Originally Posted by CJ003

nothing wrong with caffeine.  i sip a cup in the morning at work then gulp a cup before leaving for work on the way to the gym.
i add sweetened condensed milk for the morning cup (vietnamese people know what's good) and drink it black for the pre-workout boost.

Originally Posted by Wordy Dirts

pimp.gif

Besides jacked 3d, anyone got any recommendations for a good preworkout sup that doesn't have Dimethylamylamine?

I want a good pump but I don't want to risk testing pos on a pee test. (employed by the Department of Defense)
embarassed.gif
if she didn't have a chest like mine, I'd be in love with her

Anyway...I use Assault. Best without the 1,3

Originally Posted by Mr4thQuarter

Originally Posted by mrdieselfuel09

Best way to build mass in the upper body and at the same time keep a toned stomach? And any GNC supplements you guys suggest?

Appreciate the help NT.
Lean bulk. 500 cals above maintenance.

Supplements:
ON 100% gold standard (whey)
Multi-V (Animal pak / Orange Triad)
Fish Oil - for joints, health
Pre-workout - dont use one but people hype up Napalm or their newest product, minigun.

do this bro, you don't want to get 20% bf
sick.gif

once you go over that, it's time to cut and never go past 12-15%

craze doesn't have any 1,3. that's what i use for the toughest mornings. if you're looking for a pump product though, try 2 scoops of hemavol - add some caff pills or a cup of coffee if you need some stim.

Anyone done the Insanity workout and experienced success? I was going to start it in preparation for my upcoming wedding cruise.

Whats the word on K4 supplementation pills by TriPharma? My boy gave me 1/3 of a bottle, not sure on taking them. Also was looking to buy a barbell from Amazon so I can do some lifting at home as well, any recommendations NT?

Originally Posted by steven42lh

Anyone done the Insanity workout and experienced success? I was going to start it in preparation for my upcoming wedding cruise.

It works
It is HIITcardio based though.

Originally Posted by shoefreakbaby

pimp.gif

If he were to hold her thigh down would that be "cheating" would it aid her?

I would say it's bad form more then anything. If we want to get technical, her back arch is fine but she needs to keep her butt on the pad. In this case it's just a lesson in physics with a 125lb girl vs 90lbs dbs. Impressive never the less; if I saw a girl doin 90 lbs dbs I'd ask to see her birth certificate.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by I3

Thanks Neal.

6 reps or less per set. Do the concentric as explosive per possible. Even if the bar speed is not very fast, the intention of moving the weight fast(activating more motor units) will cause the desired effects to occur.
For being lean, doing anaerobic work and controlling your diet will yield the best results, with the most bang for your buck coming from diet.

Explosiveness comes from an ability to activate the higher threshold motor units(fast twitch) with a high strength to weight ratio. That means if you're not lean, you're not as explosive as you can be. If you're carrying nonfunctional mass(mass that doesn't help with what you do), it will decrease efficiency. 

One concept that will help with strength development: strength is a skill. If you consider it that way, it will change your mind about work capacity/strength/skill development. Look at the work John Broz is doing with his lifters. Very good work that goes against everything that 'fitness gurus' say, yet his athletes are some of the best in this country. Just some food for thought.

Love your advice bro.

Just to clarify, the concentric part of the squat is going up correct? So i'd go down slow then explode as much as I can.. the same goes for a bench press, military and deadlift?

What do you recommend for sets? i've been on 5x5 for most of my major lifts for the past 1.5 years

pimp.gif

I would say it's bad form more then anything. If we want to get technical, her back arch is fine but she needs to keep her butt on the pad. In this case it's just a lesson in physics with a 125lb girl vs 90lbs dbs. Impressive never the less; if I saw a girl doin 90 lbs dbs I'd ask to see her birth certificate.

laugh.gif

oh ok

There was this lil guy at the gym probably 120 and he would make his girl hold him down and I always wondered if that was "cheating"

laugh.gif

oh ok

There was this lil guy at the gym probably 120 and he would make his girl hold him down and I always wondered if that was "cheating"
No but its pathetic
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Keif Sweat

laugh.gif

oh ok

No but its pathetic
laugh.gif

It wasnt his fault, he was like 5'4 or something, he was still strong though.
We all need help sometimes 
laugh.gif

_________

I want to try something like what she did in this vid.

It looks intense

Back
Top Bottom