Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Durden7 wrote:
If it works for you, good, but just keep in mind that a progressive, repetitive routine will not make someone plateau.

It's much easier to make progress when theres consistency and a means for evaluating progression.
Durden, what's your take on frequency of testing max strength? How often do you recommend/do it?

It can be pretty dangerous, so I think it should be done every once and awhile.  (Novices should also stay away from it)

I personally dont max out (no need to/dont see a reason to) and the conversion charts are valid enough for me.

I can see doing an 8 week, 12 week, etc. program and maxing out once before the program and once after. 

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

yo yo yo,
I need help fellas.

I wanna look like this

KojakTankWhiteA.jpg

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif] I'm mad scrawny yo, 5'9 at 135
sick.gif
, I'm getting tired of it. I dont' wanna get mad yolked or anything of said nature, just something like dude in the picture. 
[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

Will Rippetoe's Starting Strength workout get me this physique? Should I look into something different? Sorry for the noob question, I just wanna get started on putting on some damb weight.

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Getting Gym membership tonight, attending tomorrow
pimp.gif
[/font]

[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks fellas.[/font]

[/font]

yeah thats a good program....id modify it though a little and do more arm isolation exercises....throw some bicep curls and tricep stuff in.
all this talk about strength is depressing by the way....ive been cutting, not getting the results i want in the time i want, but i guess patience is key. meanwhile im weak as %+#! due to my caloric deficit, im like no stronger than i was pre-cycle which is very disconcerting. oh well once i start eating a lot again i should bounce right back i hope.

oh yeah and for whoever does an EC stack....prepare yourself for a gnarly caffeine withdrawl headache like 48 hrs after you stop it. 
sick.gif

oh yeah and one more thing anyone have any tips on how to reduce shoulder pain when doing bench/incline/etc.?

its gotten to be a real problem for me these days, the classic pain in the front delt area that kind of cuts my chest lifting short due. im obviously straining it, maybe im going down too fast or im not warming up enough? i dunno.

Thanks fellas, and I apologize if I worded what I said wrong. I didn't mean to grind anybody's gears. When I think of a gym, I usually picture dudes pretty buffed up and such, so maybe that's why I felt the need to clarify and try to be as specific as possible with my description?

I need some clarification about the workout days. Is it really 3 times a week?

Mond/Weds/Friday

do you really rest both saturday and sunday?

lol

Also, I've not spotter for the bench press, do I just ask someone at the gym to spot me?
EDIT- Looks like I'll be on a 4000ish calorie diet to put on some weight. 

So it'll be 25% protein/50% CHO/25%fat

What does CHO stand for? Cholesterol? lol

EDIT 2- Uh, what do you warm up with before hitting the weights?

Durden, thanks.

Chewtoy, full range of motion handstand push ups are a better move than one arm push ups IMO. You might also be interested in gymnastic ring work.

Brett, find your weak link and address it. It could be a scapular stabilizer, technique, external rotator, etc.

Thanks fellas, and I apologize if I worded what I said wrong. I didn't mean to grind anybody's gears. When I think of a gym, I usually picture dudes pretty buffed up and such, so maybe that's why I felt the need to clarify and try to be as specific as possible with my description?

I need some clarification about the workout days. Is it really 3 times a week?

Mond/Weds/Friday

do you really rest both saturday and sunday?

lol

Also, I've not spotter for the bench press, do I just ask someone at the gym to spot me?
EDIT- Looks like I'll be on a 4000ish calorie diet to put on some weight. 

So it'll be 25% protein/50% CHO/25%fat

What does CHO stand for? Cholesterol? lol

EDIT 2- Uh, what do you warm up with before hitting the weights?

I'm guessing CHO is carbohydrates, based on the other two macronutrients
nerd.gif

I warm up by doing some dynamic stretching and using light weights/high reps to build up to my actual workout sets

scshift wrote:

nerd.gif

I warm up by doing some dynamic stretching and using light weights/high reps to build up to my actual workout sets

Thanks broseph.
Any postwork out meals or shakes you guys recommend that do not require whey protein? Waiting for it in the mail
eyes.gif

Thanks fellas.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

yo yo yo,
I need help fellas.

I wanna look like this

oh yeah and one more thing anyone have any tips on how to reduce shoulder pain when doing bench/incline/etc.?

its gotten to be a real problem for me these days, the classic pain in the front delt area that kind of cuts my chest lifting short due. im obviously straining it, maybe im going down too fast or im not warming up enough? i dunno.
warm ups are overrated and studies show that they can actually hinder peak performance... jus do some of the traditional arm stretches (tris, corss arms, shoulder rotations)

Ive had a bad right shoulder since my playing days and what i did prior to starting to lift heavy again was alotta resistance stuff to strengthen the stabilizers... so i knew I repped around 205/225... so for a few weeks i did 185 doing the last 2 reps as slowly as humanly possibly... basically at times jus holding the weight for a few seconds until I was forced to bring it down another inch or two... fast forward to now, no shoulder/scapula pain and i can do that w/ 225... eccentric/concentric contractions/expansions are equally as important

that plus using an IT band (resistance cord) has worked wonders, my shoulders feel great

nerd.gif

Thanks broseph.
Any postwork out meals or shakes you guys recommend that do not require whey protein? Waiting for it in the mail
eyes.gif

Thanks fellas.

You could try mixing milk/water with different fruits. Like a milk+strawberry+banana shake. The milk will take care of protein and the fruits will help it add calories and taste better

extremely disappoint today. weights felt heavier on squats. couldnt max out bcuz i already knew what the outcome would be. smh

hey brahs! what's everyone take on nonfat milk? i usually mix it with my protein shake and oatmeal, but is there a better alternative? i'm not 100% sure, but i might be becoming lactose intolerant. should i switch to soy? or how about coconut milk? any advice?

also, i lost my lifting gloves earlier and was wondering if there is a specific brand/glove that i should be looking for? my last one was just a basic body glove lifting glove. any suggestions/links to a good one? thanks fellas!

yo yo yo,
I need help fellas.

I wanna look like this

KojakTankWhiteA.jpg

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif] I'm mad scrawny yo, 5'9 at 135
sick.gif
, I'm getting tired of it. I dont' wanna get mad yolked or anything of said nature, just something like dude in the picture. 
[/font]

[/font]

Will Rippetoe's Starting Strength workout get me this physique? Should I look into something different? Sorry for the noob question, I just wanna get started on putting on some damb weight.

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Getting Gym membership tonight, attending tomorrow
pimp.gif
[/font]

[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks fellas.[/font]

[/font]

i like this dudes outfit (shut up.)

i might have to copy it

is it pointless to just jump on the machines at the gym and start doing stuff? i know i should have a routine and stuff like that but is it worth it to just hit the machines?

Originally Posted by OHyeah10

is it pointless to just jump on the machines at the gym and start doing stuff? i know i should have a routine and stuff like that but is it worth it to just hit the machines?
Yes it is, get a routine.....

Originally Posted by scshift

scshift wrote:I'm guessing CHO is carbohydrates, based on the other two macronutrients
nerd.gif

Thanks broseph.
eyes.gif

Thanks fellas.
You could try mixing milk/water with different fruits. Like a milk+strawberry+banana shake. The milk will take care of protein and the fruits will help it add calories and taste better

myman.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Another thing, uh, ways to avoid acne breakouts? lol. Eating 4000 calories is gonna do some damage to my face son
sick.gif

Fellas fellas fellas,

I know this question has been asked a billion times but here we go.

I'm 6'1 210 of flab. I have broad shoulders so people think I'm in shape but I'm not and due to my poor eating habits my stomach is poking out.

I don't want to be skinny and I'm just starting working out regularly again.

My plan is to do HIIT in the pool and play basketball a lot and lift heavy .

I know how to eat clean and that is my biggest hurdle but I'm going to make it happen.

My question is should do higher reps and lower weight or stick to lifting heavy? Also should I go into a caloric deficit or should I go maintenance and just eat clean?

I really don't care about my weight but more about my BF% which would be the best route to reach my goal.

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Fellas fellas fellas,

I know this question has been asked a billion times but here we go.

I'm 6'1 210 of flab. I have broad shoulders so people think I'm in shape but I'm not and due to my poor eating habits my stomach is poking out.

I don't want to be skinny and I'm just starting working out regularly again.

My plan is to do HIIT in the pool and play basketball a lot and lift heavy .

I know how to eat clean and that is my biggest hurdle but I'm going to make it happen.

My question is should do higher reps and lower weight or stick to lifting heavy? Also should I go into a caloric deficit or should I go maintenance and just eat clean?

I really don't care about my weight but more about my BF% which would be the best route to reach my goal.
this is just a question of do you want to be muscular at 210 or a lower weight. if you want to stay around 210, go maintenance and clean. if not, go into deficit. 

my girl is trying to lose a few lbs (10 - 15), any recommendations on a workout plan for her? I wasn't too sure about having her do the same routine as me with bench press, squats, military press ect ect. she's a beginner and I don't want to get her hurt or have her pull something, so any ideas on lower impact workouts that'll be more beneficial?

Originally Posted by yomegaaa

my girl is trying to lose a few lbs (10 - 15), any recommendations on a workout plan for her? I wasn't too sure about having her do the same routine as me with bench press, squats, military press ect ect. she's a beginner and I don't want to get her hurt or have her pull something, so any ideas on lower impact workouts that'll be more beneficial?
She'll lose the lbs very quickly if she ups her cardio and watches what she eats. 

Originally Posted by yomegaaa

clean her diet up
have her drink about a gallon of water everyday
30 mins of cardio
and she could do the same work out as you just light weight

what are some good starter supplements for me to use? I've been lifting for a few years now, but started getting serious about it 2 months ago. Haven't used supplements before other than whey protein. any others that are good? I prefer pills over the shake mix since it tastes like s***

Back
Top Bottom