STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Locking out seems kinda necessary on stuff like deadlifts and squats.

But in movements with a higher risk for hyperextension at the joints, like the elbows when doing benchpress and military press, I try to go up to just before the lock out. Helps me keep the load on the muscle rather than on the joint. And I just don't like that feeling.

Psychologically, I don't like knowing there's a bunch of iron just chillin on my joints. Rather make the muscle work the whole time through. Obviously, it's easier to avoid locking out when dealing with lighter weight.

The heavier weight, the more you actually need that load-at-joint rest. But I avoid that dilemma.

Whats the rationale behind not fully extending and locking out? To protect the joint?

The joint is at its most integral state when its at complete extension. The capsule, ligaments, and tendons are in their most ideal locations when the joint is extended and the bones are in alignment. If the joint isnt at its full range of motion, theres more slack within the joint capsule and through the ligaments and more slack and freedom of movement around that joint just increases injury risk.

Ill put it this way, if youre standing do you unlock your knees or are your legs straight? If youre holding something overhead, do you bend your elbows? If youre hanging from something, do you bend your elbows. When you jump, throw,run... all these movements require you to completely straighten the joint and extend it quite forcefully. Complete extension puts the body isnt the position it wants to be in and should be in. Training the body any other way is only counterproductive.

Psychologically, I don't like knowing there's a bunch of iron just chillin on my joints. Rather make the muscle work the whole time through. Obviously, it's easier to avoid locking out when dealing with lighter weight.

But a bunch of iron chilling on an extended arm is MUCH safer than a bunch of iron chilling on a bent arm.

Also, do you guys have any idea how difficult it is to hyperextend the elbow? Its no easy task.

Whats the rationale behind not fully extending and locking out? To protect the joint?

The joint is at its most integral state when its at complete extension. The capsule, ligaments, and tendons are in their most ideal locations when the joint is extended and the bones are in alignment. If the joint isnt at its full range of motion, theres more slack within the joint capsule and through the ligaments and more slack and freedom of movement around that joint just increases injury risk.

Ill put it this way, if youre standing do you unlock your knees or are your legs straight? If youre holding something overhead, do you bend your elbows? If youre hanging from something, do you bend your elbows. When you jump, throw,run... all these movements require you to completely straighten the joint and extend it quite forcefully. Complete extension puts the body isnt the position it wants to be in and should be in. Training the body any other way is only counterproductive.
But a bunch of iron chilling on an extended arm is MUCH safer than a bunch of iron chilling on a bent arm.

Also, do you guys have any idea how difficult it is to hyperextend the elbow? Its no easy task.

I never wanna know what that feels like haha

That's very well put.

But I'm just saying for like an incline bench press, I don't "hard" lock out, more like support a light-enough weght (talking maybe 65lbs) at, say 160 degrees, rather than the lockout 180 degrees (or however you wanna designate it) . So I just bring it up to 160degrees, bring it down slowly, then again. I've been getting some satisfying burn off that. Don't know how other people feel about it.

I don't see a reason in locking the elbows on any of the chest pressing movements. For one it makes me feel it too much on my triceps when I don't want to and two keeping my arm bent a little keeps constant tension on my chest game. I will lock on when I'm strictly working tris tho.

Last edited:
Anyone here try muscle pharm assault (the new one)?

Or any of the muscle pharm products?

I don't lock out on Incline Bench. Feels like I'm taking tension off my pecs.

I've always looked out on tricep exercises though, and I just wasn't sure if my elbow pain is from that. My tris do feel fully contracted at lockout compared to just before lockout.

I think my problem comes from exploding on my tricep exercises, and I stopped exploding immediately.

Anything else I should do apart from icing? I've tried rolling my tris/elbow area on a lacrosse ball.

Anyone here try muscle pharm assault (the new one)?

Or any of the muscle pharm products?

I'm very against muscle pharm whey (I think they call it combat). I had a tub once and would always get bloated and once I puked after drinking it. Doesn't mix well with hangovers.

Last edited:
I don't see a reason in locking the elbows on any of the chest pressing movements. For one it makes me feel it too much on my triceps when I don't want to and two keeping my arm bent a little keeps constant tension on my chest game. I will lock on when I'm strictly working tris tho.

I've always looked out on tricep exercises though, and I just wasn't sure if my elbow pain is from that. My tris do feel fully contracted at lockout compared to just before lockout.

I think my problem comes from exploding on my tricep exercises, and I stopped exploding immediately.

Anything else I should do apart from icing? I've tried rolling my tris/elbow area on a lacrosse ball.

Just out of curiosity, why only do this during one movement and not others? Is it something about the bench press and the way people obsess over it that leads to this type of thinking?

Because no one says "I dont fully stand up on a squat because i want to keep tension on my quads and not get my glutes involved"

Can anyone help me on this:

I'm going back to kickboxing,
So I'm trying to gain more strength

Is pyramid sets and drop sets the way to go ?
That's what I've been doing lately,
Also,
I want to gain or keep *** much mass as possible because kickboxing and Muay Thai emphasize on cardio all day everyday and usually when I start I slim down alot but
It's not like getting cut, just skinnier

Also I jump rope everyday 25min
On weight training days
Would it be more beneficial pre or post ?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Can anyone help me on this:

I'm going back to kickboxing,
So I'm trying to gain more strength

Is pyramid sets and drop sets the way to go ?
That's what I've been doing lately,
Also,
I want to gain or keep *** much mass as possible because kickboxing and Muay Thai emphasize on cardio all day everyday and usually when I start I slim down alot but
It's not like getting cut, just skinnier

Also I jump rope everyday 25min
On weight training days
Would it be more beneficial pre or post ?

Any help is appreciated.
Pyramid like 6 8 10 12 wont get you strong, like Tim said 5x5 is the way to go. Now drop sets on the other hand are awesome, it's a game changer for me I love to do them.

I'm sure it's been asked before, but legs before or after cardio?

I'm injury prone and coming off a torn achilles if it matters

Just out of curiosity, why only do this during one movement and not others? Is it something about the bench press and the way people obsess over it that leads to this type of thinking?

Because no one says "I dont fully stand up on a squat because i want to keep tension on my quads and not get my glutes involved"

I lock out on conventional DLs when I do em. I don't like my knees on Squats though. It may not be correct, but I've always been told that it's bad for your knees when you get heavy in weight.

One of the bodybuilders at the gym told me I should try Squats with my feet together, and toes pointed straight...

I always listen to what people say, but that doesn't sound effective at all. Sounds like it'll cause me to develop knee problems over time.

Starrett discusses the squat toe subject in his book. Pointing your toes out leaks away torque. I'll post more on it when I'm home

I'm sure it's been asked before, but legs before or after cardio?

I'm injury prone and coming off a torn achilles if it matters

I never do cardio on a lift day because I want all my energy for that session to go to one or the other. If you are going to do both on the same day, it's something you can easily test out for yourself and go with what works best for you. On one week do legs then cardio. The next week do cardio and then legs. Do the exact same cardio and leg routine for both sessions.

Side note, this is the first time I've seen this thread fall to page 3. Come on, brahs. Let's get it. Back day today.

Started a new workout routine to get me over my bench plateau

Monday
Squat 10, 8, 5, 5, 5
Leg Press 3x15
Good Morning 4x12
Romanian Deadlifts 3x12
Standing Ab Pulldown 4x8

Tuesday
BB Bench Press 5x1 (at 100% Max) 3x8 @ 80% max
Bentover Row 3x8
Inverted Row 3x failure
Pullup 3x Failure
BB curl 5x5

Wednesday
Rest

Thursday
Front Squats 3x5
Deadlift 10, 8, 5, 5, 5
Shrug 4x12
Back Extensions (Hyper) 4x12
Standing Ab Pulldown

Friday
Overhead Press 10, 8, 5,5,5
Seated Dumbbell Press 3x10
Superset:
Upright row 3x10
Lat Raise 3x10
Dip 4x Failure
Tricep Pushdown 4x10

Lemme know what ya think.... The idea of the bench is to train your body in doing a heavy amount of weight one time.
WAAAAAYYYY too much volume, especially if you're trying to break a plateau. I would highly recommend a cycle of Smolov Jr. Take out all all overhead pressing, most of the bodybuilding and focus on the bench press. Maintain the squat and deadlift, squat twice a week and deadlift once a week. Throw some pull ups, rows and core work in there and you should blow right past your plateau in about 3 or 4 weeks.

How good is cecculor whey protein? Specifically peanut butter marshmallow and cinnamon swirl? Just ordered 2 of each

I've been working out for about a year now, but only two days a week.  Just last week I decided a wanted to start getting more serious and went 4 days, and will continue to do 4 days since I felt so great when the week was done.

I feel like I need major help with my routines..

I do 30 minutes of cardio every time I go, no matter what.  After my cardio, my routines look like this:

Chest & Shoulders - Monday

3x15 Incline Chest Press with dumbells

3x15 Arnold Shoulder Press

3x12 Chest Flys

3x12 Shoulder Raise

3x12 Bench Press

3x15 Shoulder Push-Down Machine (don't know what it's called lol)

Biceps & Triceps - Tuesday

3x12 Hammer Curls

3x15 Tricep Pull Down (rope)

3x12 Reverse Barbell Curl

3x15 Tricep Dips

3x12 Curls with cables

3x15 Tricep Pull Down (straight bar)

3x12 High Pulley Curls

3x10 Tricep Pull Down (v-bar)

Off - Wednesday

(this is where I need some suggestions, should I be doing Chest again?

Back & Chest - Thursday

3x15 - Rows on a machine

3x12 - Chest Flys

3x15 - Back Flys

3x15 - Wide Grip Lat Pull Down

3x12- Chest Dips

3x12 - Seated Cable Row

3x12 - Incline Chest Press with Dumbells

3x12 - Bent Over 1 Dumbell Row

Legs - Friday

A hodge podge of ish lol..still need help with this also..

WAAAAAYYYY too much volume, especially if you're trying to break a plateau. I would highly recommend a cycle of Smolov Jr. Take out all all overhead pressing, most of the bodybuilding and focus on the bench press. Maintain the squat and deadlift, squat twice a week and deadlift once a week. Throw some pull ups, rows and core work in there and you should blow right past your plateau in about 3 or 4 weeks.
Take out all overhead pressing when its one of the main accessory lifts for bench? Making the shoulders stronger will help the bench press. Don't get rid of them, agree with some of your other points.

I've been working out for about a year now, but only two days a week.  Just last week I decided a wanted to start getting more serious and went 4 days, and will continue to do 4 days since I felt so great when the week was done.

I feel like I need major help with my routines..

I do 30 minutes of cardio every time I go, no matter what.  After my cardio, my routines look like this:

A hodge podge of ish lol..still need help with this also..
All that makes my head hurt lol

What are your goals?

International Chest day today brethren!

Might not be able to get to the gym tomorrow. juggling my routine this week. Want to get legs in by wednesday so i can deadlift this weekend without soreness from leg day lingering. So...chest/tris today...back/bis tomorrow if i can get to the gym tomorrow night...legs wednesday...off thursday...shoulders friday.....deadlift saturday....off sunday....

Probably going to have to do back/bi's today since everyone will be doing chest

edit: i always run 1 to 1.5 miles as a warm up every day before i start lifting :rolleyes 30 mins might be OD but i used to run 2 miles pre work out then when i started to want to put weight on i had to cut back

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom