STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

somewhat unrelated topic, but what kind of jeans do you guys wear? I feel like having half way decent sized quads it's hard to find anything that fits my quads while not being too big in the waist

I stick with Shrink To Fit 501s. I don't shrink them though. I wear 32x30s. They fit my quads pretty well.

Other jeans I've tried hug my quads too much. And STF 501s only cost $40-50 a pair while lookin good.

Don't agree with you on cutting OHP.
Start over with starting strength or a 5x5. All this bodybuilding stuff is a waste at tour level and especially if you're cutting
No one should say it
I would aim for 85-90% of your 5rm for your 5x5 sets
Well he mentioned that he specifically wanted to improve bench. Smolov as designed is a peaking routine. When done for squating, all deadlifting is removed, but in almost all cases the deadlift increases, the same should be for bench and OHP. I'm just worried about overtraining. 4 days of working the same muscle groups is rough on the body. At the bare minimum he should at least maintain his current OHP weight, but would more than likely increase on a 4 week Smolov cycle.

5x5 is dope and works but since it is linear, it can only be maintained for about 6 months, then you gotta move to somthing else like Wendler 531 or Westside.

Last edited:

Well he mentioned that he specifically wanted to improve bench. Smolov as designed is a peaking routine. When done for squating, all deadlifting is removed, but in almost all cases the deadlift increases, the same should be for bench and OHP. I'm just worried about overtraining. 4 days of working the same muscle groups is rough on the body. At the bare minimum he should at least maintain his current OHP weight, but would more than likely increase on a 4 week Smolov cycle.

5x5 is dope and works but since it is linear, it can only be maintained for about 6 months, then you gotta move to somthing else like Wendler 531 or Westside.
I hate when people say overtraining. Do you know how hard it would be to really overtrain your body? Lack of sleep or proper nutrition will come into play way before someone will overtrain.

Saying 5x5 only works for 6 months is also a broad statement, it will differ from person to person. 

somewhat unrelated topic, but what kind of jeans do you guys wear? I feel like having half way decent sized quads it's hard to find anything that fits my quads while not being too big in the waist

Your best bet is to try the straight fits and find a jean that fits waist + thighs.

The areas below the knee can be hemmed and tapered.

I wear 511s sized up 1-2 sizes and Gap 1969 Straight Selvedge

Last edited:
Decided it was time to stop neglecting cardio and continue my weight loss. (been doing solely weight training in an effort to maintain from nov till now)

Been doing circuit training for some cardio w/ a little bit of kettlebell and medicine ball work thrown in.

about a 44 minute workout.

I've had 3 different sessions so far...

Lord have mercy the soreness! :x

But it hurts so good :smokin

I hate when people say overtraining. Do you know how hard it would be to really overtrain your body? Lack of sleep or proper nutrition will come into play way before someone will overtrain.

Saying 5x5 only works for 6 months is also a broad statement, it will differ from person to person. 
Its not hard at all actually.

What would you consider overtraining?

Your best bet is to try the straight fits and find a jean that fits waist + thighs.

The areas below the knee can be hemmed and tapered.

I wear 511s sized up 1-2 sizes and Gap 1969 Straight Selvedge

How do you deal with the waist though? Tailored?

I believe overtraining exists, but not eating enough, or not getting enough sleep will be a factor first most likely.

I get told that some of my workouts have too much volume, and I'm overtraining, however I keep making progress. I just make sure I eat all my calories, and get 6.5+ hours of sleep per night.

Really? Overtraining would going 7 days a week 2 plus hours lifting, heavy at that plus some intense cardio every day. No rest days. I still think the body could handle that, for a period of time of course.

Overtraining in my opinion, doesn't come into play until you stop getting enough rest and start eating like crap. 

Ive said this before but I believe the body is much more capable of things then what we think it is.

How easy is it to overtrain? Because if its as easy as you say then Im sure you'd hate to see my weekly sessions at the gym.

Last edited:
Overtraining is overblown, and often used as an excuse to slack off.

When you look at the loads professional athletes take on and what the common man takes, doesn't even come close.

Your regular Joe Schmoe, working 9 to 5, working out 5-6 days...is not overtraining. Poorly nutritioned, more likely.

Really? Overtraining would going 7 days a week 2 plus hours lifting, heavy at that plus some intense cardio every day. No rest days. I still think the body could handle that, for a period of time of course.

Overtraining in my opinion, doesn't come into play until you stop getting enough rest and start eating like crap. 

Ive said this before but I believe the body is much more capable of things then what we think it is.

How easy is it to overtrain? Because if its as easy as you say then Im sure you'd hate to see my weekly sessions at the gym.

But not getting enough rest and poor nutrition are factors of overtraining. Its not like theyre separate things. One falls under the umbrella of the other. If someone isnt getting enough rest and doesnt eat well while still working out at a high intensity, theyre likely approaching overtraining.

Im not saying the majority of people overtrain, because most people undertrain. However, the idea that overtraining is a myth or occurs in a small percentage of people isnt right.

Overtraining is overblown, and often used as an excuse to slack off.

When you look at the loads professional athletes take on and what the common man takes, doesn't even come close.

Your regular Joe Schmoe, working 9 to 5, working out 5-6 days...is not overtraining. Poorly nutritioned, more likely.

You cant compare professional athletes to the average joe though. Thats apples to oranges.

The initial fitness level of someone greatly affects whether or not someone is likely overtraining too. A beginner to exercise can easily overtrain with a high volume workout program.

You cant compare professional athletes to the average joe though. Thats apples to oranges.

Yes and No

Obviously a person with poor fitness level can't jump in and do the workout of a professional athlete. Not the point I'm trying to make.

If you train your body and practice proper nutrition it can do amazing things.

I just don't think the common man cares to tap that potential, and the majority of people have inefficient workout/meal plans.

Did chest today. Came home and cooked up some chicken breast in the oven. Last night my wife made some fish with waaay too much salt that I ate anyway because I was hungry and didn't want to waste. I drank my creatine with the meal. Huge mistake. Felt like a bloated fish.

I'm going to try and cut the salt almost completely out of my training diet. Save it for cheat meals only.

But not getting enough rest and poor nutrition are factors of overtraining. Its not like theyre separate things. One falls under the umbrella of the other. If someone isnt getting enough rest and doesnt eat well while still working out at a high intensity, theyre likely approaching overtraining.

Im not saying the majority of people overtrain, because most people undertrain. However, the idea that overtraining is a myth or occurs in a small percentage of people isnt right.

They aren't factors of overtraining if the individual doesn't know the importance of sleep or proper nutrition.

I don't see the correlation between not getting enough sleep and proper nutrition as the result of overtraining. I was stating the opposite. 

Basically whatever you do in the gym will not be the reason you are overtraining. Its lack of sleep or proper nutrition, not overtraining. 

I have no idea what you mean by under train lol elaborate for me

I took my first shirtless gym selfie ever. Not sure if I should post it here. My feels might get hurt. :lol:

I took my first shirtless gym selfie ever. Not sure if I should post it here. My feels might get hurt. :lol:
I take one every morning then upload it to a secret tumbler account and delete it off my phone. When/if I reach my goals, I can share those with other people and look at them myself for continued motivation but if I were to not do so, they'll never see the light of day. I'm looking better, but not ready for public display just yet, few more months

lol, i was thinking this the other day

one of these days when the skin is super thick i'll man up and post just for the motivation aspect

as long as there is constructive criticism i can learn from that

since i've been following this thread, i haven't seen anyone really get teased about their physique after they posted their pic - maybe some lightweight jabs about other stuff. most guys on here will give pretty good advice if you state your goals and describe your routine/nutrition.

yea we on da same team. no reason to fire shots for those finna improve themselves.

rocked out shoulders this evening. idk if its da cold bu my elbows are killing me

Finishing up my normal hodge-podge routine this week then starting 5x5 Strength on Monday.  Plan on documenting my results on NT if you guys don't mind, so I am posting my before pictures below.  lol@ you guys wondering if you should post your gym selfie, while I'm over here posting my fat self without any damns...maybe these pics will help with your confidence 
laugh.gif

Okay :lol: I took 4 pics and 2 were a bit blurry. I'll post one of the blurry one tonight and pepper my feels.

Yesterday, I did chest & tries. I was able to get 85lbs dumbell x 7 on the flat bench on the 3rd set. I shooting for 100lbs by March.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom