STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Reactivating my PF membership. Was in a slump and had a terrible work schedule to work with. Now that I have a better gig and a consistent schedule, gon get back in it. Hope I see better results than last time. Can't seem to put on any muscle though I eat alot. Migh be because I don't eat a lot of red meat and fish (eat mainly chicken). Another thing was the temptation from starin at fried food at work all the time :smh:

Surprisingly, my gym wasn't crowded at all today. Maybe because I came early. I'm hoping that it's not crowded next week when school starts.

Surprisingly, my gym wasn't crowded at all today. Maybe because I came early. I'm hoping that it's not crowded next week when school starts.
next week is when it is going to get slammed.. its always the first Monday of the new year. 

Reactivating my PF membership. Was in a slump and had a terrible work schedule to work with. Now that I have a better gig and a consistent schedule, gon get back in it. Hope I see better results than last time. Can't seem to put on any muscle though I eat alot. Migh be because I don't eat a lot of red meat and fish (eat mainly chicken). Another thing was the temptation from starin at fried food at work all the time :smh:

Post your workout plan and diet.

Off topic:

My gym's hours suck. They closed early NYE at 3pm, I didn't get there in time. They were closed all day New Years, then it's snowing tonight in the Northeast so I'm not going out today. Streets will probably still be bad tomorrow so that might be a no go.

I'm going to miss like a week of workouts thanks to their hours and this weather.

Off topic:

My gym's hours suck. They closed early NYE at 3pm, I didn't get there in time. They were closed all day New Years, then it's snowing tonight in the Northeast so I'm not going out today. Streets will probably still be bad tomorrow so that might be a no go.

I'm going to miss like a week of workouts thanks to their hours and this weather.

My diet was mainly tuna, salmon, chicken breast (skinless, never fried), steamed veggies, oatmeal, eggs, water. Took protein w/ creatine.

Workout consisted of mostly freeweights since I didn't like the smith machine
Dumbell press
Dumbell incline press
Arnold press
Squat (Smith Machine)
Leg Press
Row
Lunges
pull-ups
Dips
played bball for cardio

Mind u this was months ago so I can't remember routine

They are great movements for people that already have a chest. Most people that do them are just wasting their time.

Bench press is overrated? Cant take you serious anymore. Ill let you play on the smith machine.
bench press is a great exercise for a beginner.. but the more advanced you are there are safer ways and more effective ways to stimulate your chest.

The majority of competitive bodybuilders do NOT bench press... Thats a fact, the reason is why I stated above.. 

again if your a strong man or powerlifter.. go for it.. just be safe.. seen way too many pec tears/shoulder injuries/tricep tears from flat bench..

not gong to argue with any of you guys about this or name call.. you can do what you want I could care less.  just trying to add to the thread from my experience as a competitive bodybuilder.

Last edited:
bench press is a great exercise for a beginner.. but the more advanced you are there are safer ways and more effective ways to stimulate your chest.

The majority of competitive bodybuilders do NOT bench press... Thats a fact, the reason is why I stated above.. 

again if your a strong man or powerlifter.. go for it.. just be safe.. seen way too many pec tears/shoulder injuries/tricep tears from flat bench..

not gong to argue with any of you guys about this or name call.. you can do what you want I could care less.  just trying to add to the thread from my experience as a competitive bodybuilder.

Quit talking

Post pics from your contests pls. :smile:

(not calling u out... just cool to see real competitors)

Off topic:

My diet was mainly tuna, salmon, chicken breast (skinless, never fried), steamed veggies, oatmeal, eggs, water. Took protein w/ creatine.

Dumbell press
Dumbell incline press
Arnold press
Squat (Smith Machine)
Leg Press
Row
Lunges
pull-ups
Dips
played bball for cardio

Hmm, how many days a week did you lift? Just from eyeballing your workout, I'd think you probably don't do enough volume, since you are working out at Planet Fitness and all. Their dumbells only go up to 50lb right? So you probably would have to do more sets and find creative ways to increase the resistance.

You should still be seeing results though.

Off topic:

Dumbell press
Dumbell incline press
Arnold press
Squat (Smith Machine)
Leg Press
Row
Lunges
pull-ups
Dips
played bball for cardio

Hmm, how many days a week did you lift? Just from eyeballing your workout, I'd think you probably don't do enough volume, since you are working out at Planet Fitness and all. Their dumbells only go up to 50lb right? So you probably would have to do more sets and find creative ways to increase the resistance.

You should still be seeing results though.

Their weights go up to 60 or 65. I was seeing strength in my bench but then cut back due to pain in my shoulder which I get frequently. I got to 55lbs w/ the dumbells in the bench and 50 in the incline. The arnold was a lot less due to the pain in my shoulder. I started focusing more on shoulders to strengthen my right shoulder but then my work schedule got stupid and got me to a point where I was too tired to workout. Eventually just cancelled it so I wouldn't be payin and not goin.

Since the initiation fee is $10 instead of the usual $30, I figured now is time to get back in it since my situation changed.

It is hard there w/ no free bar to squat and what not but it's a 3min walk and open 24/7 and only $10/mo. I think another reason I hit a plateau was because I wasn't taking in enough calorie and protein wise since I couldn't afford to.

Dumbell press
Dumbell incline press
Arnold press
Squat (Smith Machine)
Leg Press
Row
Lunges
pull-ups
Dips
played bball for cardio

definitely not enough calories being taken in and that's not an effective muscle building routine. Like someone else said, you definitely need more volume

Any movement that involves putting you under a bunch of weight is gonna have a higher risk for tears than movements with weight that is away from you (cable cross over stations, for instance). So it makes sense that more tears happen with flat bench than with cable cross overs.

I have to agree with hulk dude that there are more finesse-type ways to recruit the muscles you're after. Putting yourself under a heavy load is a crude, but effective way of doing it. But after a while I can imagine you'd want to be more precise.

What I do is I get in front of a mirror and play around with resistance bands to see what movement and at what angle will recruit a particular muscle more effectively. For instance, I would pull the band back with my hand at different angles to see what's being activated at what angle (teres minor/major and lats) and work a few reps at one of the angles to test it out.

At the gym, I try to replicate those movements, be it with cable cross overs and the different attachments or benches at different angles with weights. Barbells tend to be to restrictive to my grips (neutral, supine or prone; I'm trying to stick to neutral grips to see if there's any long term benefit/advantage to it).

Bands make em dance

Was snowing tonight. Wasn't goin to let that stop me from hitting the gym though. Was pretty light tonight... I think because of the snow.

Going try out this 5x5 "program" for some of my compound lifts.  I''m trying to break my pushing plateaus.

20 lbs dumbbells were feeling heavy today, felt like 30's for some reason. had to drop it down to 15lbs for the flat and incline presses. ended up going heavy on the cables though, 20lbs on each side.

Back
Top Bottom