STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

so are either of you actively adding to the bar in order to pr or is it more a feel thing, i.e. attempt of current pr feels less challenging or weights is flying on any given session?

Not sure what you're asking or how to answer this.

I will periodically attempt new PRs at lift-offs/meets/comps. (Competition)

I will also regularly try to best my PRs in training since I always add heavy singles into my training. (Training)

So as long as I keep lifting, the PRs will be there either from training or competition.

I’ve been lifting for 9 years. Just adding 5lb to my PR takes over a year of training usually. So I usually won’t attempt a PR unless I’m confident in it + I program myself to set myself up for a PR attempt.

so basically when you are going for a (new) PR, you have planned it & have some expectation, makes sense

Not sure what you're asking or how to answer this.

I will periodically attempt new PRs at lift-offs/meets/comps. (Competition)

I will also regularly try to best my PRs in training since I always add heavy singles into my training. (Training)

So as long as I keep lifting, the PRs will be there either from training or competition.

as you do compete, powerlifting i assume? basically you answered what i was asking, which is you have some expectation (be it in competition or training) around attempting new PRs

so basically when you are going for a (new) PR, you have planned it & have some expectation, makes sense

as you do compete, powerlifting i assume? basically you answered what i was asking, which is you have some expectation (be it in competition or training) around attempting new PRs

Yes, PL.

But no, I don’t have expectations around attempting PRs. I track my numbers and will attempt new maxes when my frogginess is sufficiently high and the tracked numbers show a trend of increased strength.

I’ve failed attempts after getting 10 hours of sleep and food in the tank and hit PR attempts going on no sleep and only a shake in the furnace.

I don’t go into a comp or training session with the intent of hitting PRs…

Yes, PL.

But no, I don’t have expectations around attempting PRs. I track my numbers and will attempt new maxes when my frogginess is sufficiently high and the tracked numbers show a trend of increased strength.

I’ve failed attempts after getting 10 hours of sleep and food in the tank and hit PR attempts going on no sleep and only a shake in the furnace.

I don’t go into a comp or training session with the intent of hitting PRs…

oh, that’s a bit more clarity…so how would the tracked numbers show a trend of increased strength? given that you are competing do you have a coach and/or run a program in preparation for competition that dictates what weight should be on the bar that is informed by your current/previous pr(s)?

oh, that’s a bit more clarity…so how would the tracked numbers show a trend of increased strength? given that you are competing do you have a coach and/or run a program in preparation for competition that dictates what weight should be on the bar that is informed by your current/previous pr(s)?

If the singles, doubles, triples are going up at the same bodyweight, strength is trending up. If they're staying the same, I'm coasting.

I don't have a coach and meet preparation varies.

No, the programming has nothing to do with past PRs. I hit PRs after training with submax weights quite often.

I guess it’s nice to have a goal and be satisfied.

Whenever I hit a new PR my goalposts get moved.
mjcry1.png

My goals are in different areas. When it comes to fitness. It's more "Man I've been pretty solid in the gym this past week"

I go biking and I can finish 25 miles with ease compared to the week before.
I use the gym to just keep me ready for anything I might want to do or get into.
The Brain health part of it is huge to me.

The only real weight I touch is dead-lifting/farmers walks carrying something heavy. Most of my time spent in the gym is body weight styled things.

500 just seems like I number I can't mentally believe me reaching. But if I do, I will be astonished.

If the singles, doubles, triples are going up at the same bodyweight, strength is trending up. If they're staying the same, I'm coasting.

I don't have a coach and meet preparation varies.

No, the programming has nothing to do with past PRs. I hit PRs after training with submax weights quite often.

so part of what i’m trying to ask is how/what/when do you decide to put more weight on the bar for a max/pr lift? if something is already a max/pr? kinda seems like you’re saying it’s random but dependent on the rep range?

while i do lift for power, i wouldn’t say i powerlift nor do i really ‘bodybuild’ with any kind of goal or consistency or run programs, just trying to understand what guides more experienced lifters with attempting a max lift for a given rep scheme. what happens when you decide go for max attempts. to this point i just go with how i feel and try to never have to grind out a lift(s), i think if i used a belt, proper shoes, sleeves and straps i could probably lift more but i also think not using these things makes it a bit easier not max or try to even be able to bring out a lift when the weight is approaching maximum effort

My goals are in different areas. When it comes to fitness. It's more "Man I've been pretty solid in the gym this past week"

I go biking and I can finish 25 miles with ease compared to the week before.
I use the gym to just keep me ready for anything I might want to do or get into.
The Brain health part of it is huge to me.

The only real weight I touch is dead-lifting/farmers walks carrying something heavy. Most of my time spent in the gym is body weight styled things.

500 just seems like I number I can't mentally believe me reaching. But if I do, I will be astonished.

similar, it’s a means to an end but i’m open to the possibility that there is more that i could do in terms of maxing out

This program will get you to 500, if you really aiming for it. It's a 10week program, once a week. I ran it three times in a row, went from just over 3plates to over 500

so part of what i’m trying to ask is how/what/when do you decide to put more weight on the bar for a max/pr lift? if something is already a max/pr? kinda seems like you’re saying it’s random but dependent on the rep range?

while i do lift for power, i wouldn’t say i powerlift nor do i really ‘bodybuild’ with any kind of goal or consistency or run programs, just trying to understand what guides more experienced lifters with attempting a max lift for a given rep scheme. what happens when you decide go for max attempts. to this point i just go with how i feel and try to never have to grind out a lift(s), i think if i used a belt, proper shoes, sleeves and straps i could probably lift more but i also think not using these things makes it a bit easier not max or try to even be able to bring out a lift when the weight is approaching maximum effort

Ah, I see now.

The bolded is why you're not tracking. Anyone who only lifts "casually" or doesn't powerlift won't really get it.

An old supe once told me "consistency is key". If you're consistently not tracking stuff, it makes sense for all of this not to seem intuitive.

Attempting PRs is really no different than determining if you're gonna go to the gym, when, and what type of workout you're gonna have based on how you're feeling.

I'm sure we all not slept enough, not eaten enough, been too tired, etc. and gone to the gym anyway and absolutely killed it.

Conversely, there are prolly days you thought you were gonna blow the roof off the gym only to be dragging yourself out the door by the end of your workout.

Attempting PRs is kinda the same way. There is no single determining factor telling me when to add weight to the bar. I'll attempt a new max in the gym when I'm feeling froggy. I'll attempt a new max on the platform as long as I'm not missing lifts and have chalk on the board.

I log my workouts and also track my maxes over time separately. Since strength is a skill, as long as the graphs are trending up (literally) for a long-enough period of time, I'm probably due for a PR. If the graphs are leveling out or decreasing, I'm not getting any stronger or I'm actually getting weaker and it'll be a minute before I can PR again.

nileseyy-niles-disappear.gif

I'm sure we all not slept enough, not eaten enough, been too tired, etc. and gone to the gym anyway and absolutely killed it.

Conversely, there are prolly days you thought you were gonna blow the roof off the gym only to be dragging yourself out the door by the end of your workout.
Mannnnnnn!

Back
Top Bottom